PDA

View Full Version : Another car rental query

Deladuro
29-06-2006, 17:59
Our plan is to come across to Florida for 3 weeks in November for our Honeymoon.
We have a romantic notion of touring around in a snazzy convertible, but were wondering if this would be realistic.
Basically we need to know: i) Are we likely to have to drive round with the roof on/up most of the time due to the heat/sun?
ii) Will it make us stick out like the proverbial sore thumb as tourists?
iii) Is the roof a hassle to put up & down?

A 4x4 was another thought as we might be able to see that little bit more when driving around - but might be a bit excessive for just the two of us.

Or we could save a few bucks and go for the economy option.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this or for alternative ideas welcomed.
Cheers
Del.

Rhosyn
29-06-2006, 18:43
Hi Del
Just to give you my experience in a convertible, I went to the villa on my own for a week and the nice man at dollar upgraded me to a convertible PT Cruiser. I was a bit worried about the weather, as it was 92 most days, put on plenty of sun screen. I loved it and did not find it too hot at all especially when you are cruising. I did find it a bit noisy on the interstate but was doing around 60; most of the time there was a warm breeze and really nice driving with the roof down.
The roof was electric just had to turn the handle and press the button nice and I was very pleased with it. Would not hesitate to have one again. The only down side to this was I could only put one large suit case in the boot but as it was only me plenty of room in the back for the rest.
Can’t wait to go back and hire another.

glasgowmary
29-06-2006, 19:07
hi we have a convertible at home here in the u.k and love it, no problem with the roof as its a power hood and goes up and down in 16 seconds ( not if you' re moving because of the wind ) and as much as we love our car we never take one in florida just because of luggage, we don ' t even use it to go the airport as there are 3 of us. we can make the boot bigger but then you can' t put the roof down but don' t know if all cars are the same ours is bmw ( cars are really his department ! ) all that said i do love it ![msnsmile2] so i think really depends on luggage

Val
29-06-2006, 19:20
Hi Del,

You are on your honeymoon, treat yourself to a convertible and enjoy the experience. We hired a convertible PT cruiser last year and really enjoyed it. The weather is November is very pleasant so it should be lovely a nice breeze and as there are loads of convertibles in Florida you will not stick out like a tourist.

Enjoy your honeymoon

Val

Rhosyn
29-06-2006, 19:38
Here I am loving every moment

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Rhosyn/2006629153821_maycar.jpg

pieman790
29-06-2006, 19:59
We hired a convertable at Christmas and have to say it was ok for the front seat passengers with the heater on but too cold for the kids in the back. It was 70f+ through the day but with the car moving it soon brought the temperture down.
took us about 30 seconds to put the electric roof up and down and that was on a Seebring.

dawn
29-06-2006, 20:01
Before children, my husband and I hired a convertible and 'toured' Florida. We loved every minute and it was wonderful to drive along with the warm breeze. I say go for it while you can[msnsmile2]

Genie
29-06-2006, 20:18
Rose you little devil !!
It does look nice though.

Rhosyn
29-06-2006, 20:56
I did not want to give it back and saw a lot of Davenport Clermont on my travels. Enjoy they are so much fun. Can't wait to go back and hire another

E. Cosgrove
29-06-2006, 20:59
We usually have a convertible.......fantastic!!! What more can I say?[msnwink]

Vanessa
29-06-2006, 22:34
Go for the convertible!

TracyAndDean
29-06-2006, 22:53
Go for the convertible and have a wonderful honeymoon - GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH [beer][beer]

GrahamC
29-06-2006, 23:16
You have to go for it. The november weather is normally fine for one.

ShirleyD
29-06-2006, 23:45
Go for it...it's never too cold for a convertable!!!

thornton
30-06-2006, 01:15
November weather will be lovely, just right for a convertible.

Jill

Pegasus928
30-06-2006, 04:01
Everytime I go to Florida and hire the 7 seaters I look on in envy at the lucky so-and-so's whizzing past in the convertibles. OK so I have the luxury of air-con - but I'm sure if you don't want the roof down on the odd occassion then the convertibles will have air-con too.
To me it comes down to choice. If you go for the convertible you dont have to have the roof off - but if you dont order one and its not even an option you may end up regretting it.
One other thing Del - don't worry about sticking out as tourists too much because the hire cars seem to be easily noticed regardless of what you choose.
Pegasus

wrpac00
30-06-2006, 15:57
No.
No.
& No.

We have had a Sebring for the past 3 years, hoping for a Mustang this year [msntongue]

eastcoastbranch
01-07-2006, 02:53
Definately go for the convertible.
Hannah.

blott
01-07-2006, 04:11
You only get one chance at a honeymoon so why not make it really special with a convertible? There are plenty of locals with convertibles too so you won't look toooo obvious unless you're clanking tin cans, etc behind you!

Have a great time! :)

Deladuro
01-07-2006, 23:18
Thanks for all the feedback.
By my reckoning the score is Convertible 18, Everything else 0!
Any tips on type of insurance also welcome. As it's only the 2 of us, Dollar's Silver looks as though it would be enough.
Anyone think differently?
Cheers
Del.

P.S. [bad language filtered out] penalties!!

Kazzie
02-07-2006, 00:10
If you both want to drive I would go with the gold package insurance.

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Deladuro
Thanks for all the feedback.
By my reckoning the score is Convertible 18, Everything else 0!
Any tips on type of insurance also welcome. As it's only the 2 of us, Dollar's Silver looks as though it would be enough.
Anyone think differently?
Cheers
Del.

P.S. [bad language filtered out] penalties!!
[/quote]

Deladuro
02-07-2006, 01:47
Why Karen?
According to the link from this site - usacarhire - 2 drivers are already insured, as long as they're over 25.
Am I missing something?
Del.

roger
02-07-2006, 02:21
The Gold option also includes a free tank of fuel. On the Silver, you have to pay Dollar for a full tank even if you return the car with some fuel. Dollar (like all the main rental companies now) will charge more for the tank of fuel than you would pay at the pump. The Gold option will save having to pay this to Dollar and the extra price is more than likely still going to be cheaper than the fuel charge you would otherwise pay to Dollar.

Why Karen?
According to the link from this site - usacarhire - 2 drivers are already insured, as long as they're over 25.
Am I missing something?
Del.
[/quote]

Deladuro
02-07-2006, 03:58
I'm confused!!
The difference between Silver & Gold Cover for a Dollar car appears to be £48. (A convertible for 3 weeks)
For that extra money you get a tank of fuel & unlimited additional drivers. As there are only 2 of us it means that Dollar would have to charge us more than $90 for a tank of fuel to make the Gold Cover worth it (that would mean charging nearly $6 per gallon)
Am I oversimplifying things - or have I genuinely missed something?
Del.

blott
02-07-2006, 04:12
Mmmm, well Dollar charge more than the price you'd pay at the petrol pump for the tank of petrol as Roger has already said.

I don't know much about convertibles (I expect someone else will though) but our tank of petrol was $102, which was round about twice the price I was charged at a garage to fill it up. I don't know about your UK car but mine takes more than £48's worth of petrol in one go!

So, you either 'go for gold' (:)) where the petrol, as well as everything else, is already paid for or silver where you have a charge for a tank of fuel.

So, what it basically comes down to is whether you want to return home to a credit card bill for the fuel (whatever the exchange rate is doing at the time you pick up the car and adding on your 2.75% which is what credit card companies usually charge for foreign purchases - unless you have a Nationwide card) or prepay it in sterling and not have to worry about it afterwards.

Deladuro
02-07-2006, 15:20
Thanks for the info, folks.
Now just have to get my calculator out & see what the best option is.
Cheers
Del.

roger
02-07-2006, 19:01
Just to provide a bit more information (and maybe clarify some confusion); If you go for Silver, then you have to pay for a tank of fuel to Dollar. The current pump price is say $3.00 per gallon (depending on where you fill up).

When you collect your car, make sure Dollar are clear you are pre-paying for fuel. You will then be charged approx $3.50 per gallon by Dollar for a full tank upon your return.

If Dollar do not mark you as pre-paying for fuel when you collect, then upon your return you will be charged around $6.00 per gallon.

Many clients have gone for the Silver option and then agreed with Dollar on collection to drop the car back with a full tank, and therefore not pay Dollar for fuel at all. If you do this, make sure the contract clearly states this when you collect your car, as we wont be in a position to obtain a fuel refund for you when you return.

Sorry, I know it can all sound a little confusing, hence another reason to go for Gold as it is much simpler!

Thanks for the info, folks.
Now just have to get my calculator out & see what the best option is.
Cheers
Del.
[/quote]

Deladuro
02-07-2006, 19:18
Thanks Roger.
I like simple![msnwink]
Del.

ShirleyCottam
04-07-2006, 17:45
I would go for gold :D

Have a wonderful wedding, and honeymoon, and dont forget to post the wedding photos[8D]