PDA

View Full Version : Ponderosa

blott
23-02-2002, 19:44
This is one of our first stops each time we visit Florida for all you care to eat buffet breakfast. For $3.99 (less if you are a senior or have a coupon) plus your beverage you can choose from over 137 different breakfast buffet items from cereal to grits, egg and bacon and sausage to salad, fresh fruit to cake or biscuits (the American sort which are like plain scones and delicious).

They open at something like 7.30 am and breakfast lasts to 11 am and then they are open for lunch and dinner.

Lunch and dinner are a great selection of steaks, fish, chicken with all you care to eat buffet of salads and all sorts of goodies followed by ice cream or another desert. Prices start at $8.99 for dinner and they are great value as well as delicious.

If you are a family and want to eat well and less expensively, Ponderosa is a great place to go. You'll find Ponderosa at various locations along Highway 192 and also in other locations around the area. Look for the green signs if you're hungry!

blott

imported_n/a
25-02-2002, 02:15
Hi Blott if you like Ponderosa try Sizzlers. We were great fans of Ponderosa breakfast until we went to Sizzlers. Same price slightly less choice but we felt the quality of food was a bit better. Lunch and dinner good as well

blott
25-02-2002, 16:24
Sorry, but got to disagree. We tried Sizzlers but they have no porridge (oatmeal) or grits and we still like Ponderosa the best! Joan, our long time server there (at the one opposite Old Town) is also the best!

Blott

Edited by - blott on 25/02/2002 12:26:11

imported_n/a
25-02-2002, 18:30
Have to agree about the servers - we actually found a lovely lady who owns a villa herself and she gave us great tips as we were looking on that visit. Went back to find her when we'd bought ours on the next visit but unfortunatly she'd left.

Do leave great tips if you are happy with them as with most US restaurants, they are paid minimum wage and rely on their tips.

Ann
26-02-2002, 01:34
the ponderosa opposite the old town is by far the best one we have found we have tried several others but none can beat this one for cleanliness an service its hard to belive the same company ownes them all when the standard in one can be so high and in other so poor

ann duncan

Carla
26-02-2002, 11:32
Hi Sophie

I think that they are franchises, which may explain the differing standards. We used Ponderosa a lot when the children were younger and we were on a much tighter budget. There was always something there that they would enjoy. If you are up by Universal there is quite a nice one there, almost opposite the old gates, near the Holiday Inn. Great for breakfast before blasting the Park.

n/a
19-03-2002, 05:08
I have to say that having tried Poderosa, sizzlers etc, we prefer Golden Coral same sort of thing but there seems to be more choice available. There's one near Home Depot on the 192 and one between Old Lake Wilson and Forosa Gardens Bld, this one's closer to our villa but I actually prefer the other one.

orlandobabe
19-03-2002, 22:17
Interesting what you say about the Ponderosa as I have gone right off the one near marker 5 192-I said that I won't be going back.

I think they must all be franchises too. I was very surprised to find that the Howard Johnsons are.

Might give that one you've recommended a try!

Orlandobabe

blott
19-03-2002, 22:24
Orlandobabe

We've been in all of them and it's definitely the best one. Try and get Joan as your server. She's great, remembers who you are and lives in Poinciana.

Blott

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-04-2002, 05:27
We had the $3.99 all you can eat breakfast at the Ponderosa opposite Kissimmee Old TOwn this morning and it has to be the worst food we have eaten for ages.

The place just look cheap, the food looked bad quality and even the coffee just tasted of dishwater.

Give us IHOP any day for breakfast.

We had high hopes for it after reading the postings here. Must have gone downhill a lot recently!

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

fiona
12-04-2002, 14:52
We ate at the one on the 192 near Indian Ridge in 1995 (our first visit to Florida).

Food was so bad and everything was so cheap and nasty we have never been back.

We go to Perkins instead - can't manage the portions at the IHOP, although we think if we order for 2, 4 of us might be able to eat it!

Fiona

chrisj
12-06-2003, 15:43
Daft Question

What is Grits ???

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-06-2003, 16:34
Not sure of the details, but grits is like a lump of sloppy rice pudding except you have it as part of your main couurse. Can't say as I'm a greta fan of it.

fiona
12-06-2003, 16:39
Personally I find them revolting, but each to their own!

Grits are small broken grains of corn. They were first produced by Native Americans centuries ago. They made both "corn" grits and "hominy" grits.

www.grits.com/

chrisj
12-06-2003, 16:45
Thanks

John and Fiona

Checked the site out, Think I will stick with bacon and eggs

Chris

blott
12-06-2003, 21:38
I like them! They don't really taste of anything much (so there's nothing to dislike about the flavour) but, with a blob of butter and some pepper (and salt if you're into that) they're quite tasty with your eggs and bacon... They're fat free and veggie too! I say give them a whirl of a try at least!

chrisj
12-06-2003, 22:19
Blott

Your right perhaps we should try them once at least

Chris7
12-06-2003, 22:49
If you like poridge you'll love grite. Personally I don't, but they stick to the ribs!

chrisj
13-06-2003, 02:34
I used to love poridge on a winters morning