PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Cove using their suncream??

ali-uk
26-06-2006, 23:39
Hi
We are going to Discovery Cove October this year, after reading some reviews you have to use their own animal friendly sun cream, some reviews i have read you can get burnt easily as their factor is only spf 30.
I contacted Discovery Cove (would recommend anyone to do if you have a question very helpful) if they could give me any other details to the sun cream they use here is their response:-

<span style="color:blue">Thank you for contacting Discovery Cove. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially when we can help them in planning their day.

We provide an animal friendly sunscreen by Panama Jack. It is the Guide and Outfitter sunscreen and the SPF is 30. We do request that our sunscreen is used because others are harmful to our fish.

Here are the ingredients for the Panama Jack so you can compare and possibly find something with a higher SPF.

ACTIVE: Titanium Dioxide 16.4%

INACTIVE: Water, (C-12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Alumina, Polyhydroxystearic Acid & Proprietary Coating), (Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol & Hexyl Laurate), PVP/Eicosene Copolymer, PEG-150/Decyl Alcohol/SMDI Copolymer, Beeswax, Glycerin, Stearyl Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Diazolidinyl Urea & Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Seaweed Extract, Disodium EDTA.

Best regards,

Ken Korenkiwsky
Guest Relations
Discovery Cove </span id="blue">

I have never heard of Panama Jack but had a look on different web sites and its quite popular over there, i can buy up to factor 75! But the factor 75 ingredients are slightly different but the factor 50 is more or less the same.
My son is very fair and don’t want him to burn factor 30 isn’t that high considering he will be using Nivea spf 50 normally, anyway going to email them back to see if i can use the factor 50 Panama Jack i will pay £7-9 for it i don’t mind, sun burn can ruin you holiday.
Ali

CERICROWLEY
27-06-2006, 00:32
Alison.

Ther sun screen is very good, our eldest tends to burn very easily around the eyes especially, and Panama Jack is very good. They give out the sun screen very freely so we had plenty left over, and continued to use it after. As long as you apply it often enough it should be fine.

But still $9 is nothing for suncream. I went ot Boots yesterday and they wanted £11 for a factor 30 Nivea

mizzy
27-06-2006, 01:01
their suncream is very good my children are both very fair and burn easy, we did d.cove last march and only needed to apply twice

wearing one of the parks full length wetsuits will also protect your son and i can highly recommend this site for both uva/b and spf factor 50+ swimwear
www.lioninthesun.co.uk

Mizzy

JoRo
27-06-2006, 01:49
I agree with Mizzy - use a wetsuit to be on the safe side. But Panama Jack has been around for years and is a good sunscreen.
Joyce

MarkJan
27-06-2006, 03:10
Use the wetsuit, not restrictive. The Panama Jack sunscreen is very good.

ali-uk
27-06-2006, 23:55
hi
Thanks for your replies i have just been on lion in the sun web site and ordered the beads bracelets, what a good idea . i think my son will be ok if i reapply the suncream a couple of times also in a full wet suit using their factor 30.
thanks
Ali

mizzy
28-06-2006, 01:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ali-uk
hi
Thanks for your replies i have just been on lion in the sun web site and ordered the beads bracelets, what a good idea . i think my son will be ok if i reapply the suncream a couple of times also in a full wet suit using their factor 30.
thanks
Ali

[/quote]

we've had the bead bracelets and also a few suits from them for my son and they are absolutely fab[clap]
you must remember that you will not be able to wear the bead bracelets when in with the dolphins (unless you can get it tucked tightly under the cuff on the sleeve so there's no chance of it falling off)

Mizzy

mizzy
28-06-2006, 01:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ali-uk
hi
thanks
Ali[msnsmile2]

[/quote]

ummm the bead bracelets!
now you've reminded me to dig ours out i'll have to try to remember which safe place i put them in[msnembarrased]

Mizzy[msnsmile]

Biggi
28-06-2006, 18:00
I think you should be fine with SPF 30. Recent studies have proven that any SPF above 30 does not make a difference. The only thing that will help is, to apply the sunscreen as often as possible (recommended every hour). The wetsuit will also help to protect from the sun.
Have fun[8D]

ShirleyD
28-06-2006, 22:12
The wetsuits are great as they help you float.

Can someone tell me what the bead bracelets are?

mizzy
28-06-2006, 22:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ShirleyD
The wetsuits are great as they help you float.

Can someone tell me what the bead bracelets are?
[/quote]

they are available on the lion in the sun website which i posted above and they are kids beaded bracelets that change colour depending on the amount and intensity of uv exposure

very clever and they really work too[msnwink]

Mizzy

freddiehollie
30-06-2006, 00:13
We would never dream of getting sun cream in the UK very expensive compared to Florida.
Lots of choice in shops, (Wal-Mart, Walgreens Etc) We talked to staff at Wal-Mart they
pointed us to Banana Boat sunscreen. Having 2 year old twins, one very fair we went
with there advice and had no problems at all. So we bought some to bring home [msncool][msncool]

CERICROWLEY
30-06-2006, 12:18
Mike,

Sunscreen over the states is a lot cheaper than here, but the banana boat suncream can not be used in Discovery cove, as it is oil based and does not break down in water.

I asked a question about the factos of some creams to a skin expert I knew, the answer was a little surprising. He told me that although the factors can go up to 50 and more that 30 is a recommended factor for chilren and people with easy burn factor. As you would have to apply the sunscreen every hour, anything above 30 breakdowns at the same rate as 30, so the same protection is given to all creams above this,

ali-uk
01-07-2006, 20:47
hi

I have just ordered some panama jack aftersun for burnt skin (just incase), you can put on bites too, i have got factor 50 nivea, plus 2 bottles of (apply once a day) Piz Buin 30,15 and 8. i doubt i will be using the factor 8.
With all of them i will be re-applying during the day.
My own GP told me to use factor 60! on all of us he said the sun in America burns more than here?
Anyway i feel better now that my son can use the Discovery Cove cream and wont burn thanks for you help
Ali

Pegasus928
04-07-2006, 18:53
We bought loads of Panama Jack while we were there last time - and when relatives of ours went in May we got them to bring back some Ocean Potion Spray on mist. This has been perfect for the kids to put in their bags for school so they can sort themselves out during the lunch breaks - much easier than getting themselves messed up with the cream.
Pegasus

Tracey K
05-07-2006, 01:12
Anyone know how easy it is to get the Guide & Outfitter Panama Jack sun cream once I am in the States? We have booked to swim with dolphins in the Keys, they have also recommended this along with some others but I have always had to stick to PJ because others bring me out in a rash (prefer sun tan any day!)

Thanks for the tip about the UV beads - great idea for the children (and a welcome reminder for the adults too I guess)