PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Sally D
23-06-2006, 18:24
A girl I work with has asked if anyone can help.

About 17 years ago she worked for a large travel firm and was based in Miami and then Orlando. This particular travel firm then started to do holiday to the Bahamas and as is fairly new there was not many holiday makers so they never had a rep based there. She was told that she had to go to the Bahamas to meet the plane which was usually every 2 weeks. She had been doing this for some time but then was stopped and questioned as to why she kept going back and forth. She said she was very naive(sp) and thought that the travel firm had all her paper work in order, turns out they didn't. She was then deported back to UK.

She has now said she would love to take her 8 year old for a holiday and wonders would they grant her a visa or is there no hope and to forget it. She seems to think if she was granted a visa that would be the end, but I said I think she could still be refused entry in USA on arrival.

Any help appreciated.

Lynnes
23-06-2006, 18:36
Probably the best thing would be for her to approach the Embassy and tell them the problem.

steph_goodrum
23-06-2006, 19:13
Sally

This is the information from the Government website for Visa info for the States.

"If you’re a citizen of a foreign country, in most cases you’ll need a visa to enter the United States.

A visa doesn’t permit entry to the U.S., however. A visa simply indicates that your application has been reviewed by a U.S. consular officer at an American embassy or consulate, and that the officer has determined you’re eligible to enter the country for a specific purpose. Consular affairs are the responsibility of the U.S. Department of State.

A visa allows you to travel to the United States as far as the port of entry (airport or land border crossing) and ask the immigration officer to allow you to enter the country. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter the United States. He or she decides how long you can stay for any particular visit. Immigration matters are the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. "

But this is exactly the same for Visa waiver, none actually give you right of entry.

The only way she will know for certain if they will approve the Visa is to apply, but if she has as much back up information with her when she goes such as mortgage, job etc to prove that she intends to return to the UK I woudl imagine it will be looked on favourably. It may be that she is given a single entry visa for her holiday and have to reapply if she wants to go back again.

Sally D
23-06-2006, 19:34
Thanks Steph, I will pass this on to her.

She dearly would like to take her son on holiday to Orlando. When he was 3 he had a brain tumour, they weren't even sure that he would survive the op but he came through[clap], but has been left with special needs.

She has a good job, family here and 2 houses, she just wants to take her son away for a holiday.

Robert5988
23-06-2006, 20:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:A girl I work with has asked if anyone can help.

About 17 years ago she worked for a large travel firm and was based in Miami and then Orlando. This particular travel firm then started to do holiday to the Bahamas and as is fairly new there was not many holiday makers so they never had a rep based there. She was told that she had to go to the Bahamas to meet the plane which was usually every 2 weeks. She had been doing this for some time but then was stopped and questioned as to why she kept going back and forth. She said she was very naive(sp) and thought that the travel firm had all her paper work in order, turns out they didn't. She was then deported back to UK.

She has now said she would love to take her 8 year old for a holiday and wonders would they grant her a visa or is there no hope and to forget it. She seems to think if she was granted a visa that would be the end, but I said I think she could still be refused entry in USA on arrival.

Any help appreciated.[/quote]

Presumably she working in Miami and Orlando? and the backwards and forwards was from USA to the Bahamas?

If so she should have had the appropriate visa to allow her to work in the USA.

Presumably she didn't have that visa and that is why she was deported.

The Visa Waiver Form asks if you have been refused entry etc so she has no choice but to apply for a visa - or lie on the I-94W and that would be not be advisable, as she will probably be on their records.

steph_goodrum
23-06-2006, 20:37
It isn't even worth wasting money on a phone call to the US Embassy at premium rates for clarification as the only answer your friend will get is "Yes, a visa is definitely needed" but they won't give you any opinion on whether they think it will be granted.

Personally for her sons sake I'd suggest she take the chance and apply for a Visa (even though it will cost her if it is denied), if it is then there is a good chance she will get entry. It's better that she has tried rather than give up at the first hurdle. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who have made mistakes when they were younger who have gone on to lead exemplary lives and been granted visas etc.

ShirleyD
23-06-2006, 20:49
I think she would be better off applying for a visa. If she doesn't and just chances it, I would guess (as long as she is honest on the form about previous refusal)that they would allow her in, but she would stand to lose her holiday if they didn't. Also, it would spoil the fun of planning the holiday, if she had this in the back of her mind all the time.

Sally D
23-06-2006, 21:16
She knows she has to have a visa and would not travel on VW.

Yes she was back and forth from Orlando/Miami to Bahamas.

No she never had the appropriate visa for working, she assumed, and she now realises wrongly that the travel firm she worked for, a large one, had sorted it all out.

Before she applies for a visa she wanted to know is it likely that she will get one after being deported.

Also is she was granted one, what are the chances of her being sent back once she had arrived in USA.

Should she forget the whole thing.

blott
23-06-2006, 22:25
I don't think anyone should give up until they've tried. If they get turned down, then at least they can know that they did their best. If they get a visa, then that would be great.

The worst the Embassy can say is 'no' but they won't say anything if she doesn't ask or apply for a visa and she may be denying herself unnecessarily the chance of a visit to Florida.

Sally D
23-06-2006, 22:34
I will tell her to go ahead and apply, if they say no then end of story.

She was under the impression that once you were granted a visa then you can enter, until I pointed out that it wasn't so, you can still be turned away.

Fingers crossed.

Robert5988
23-06-2006, 22:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: I will tell her to go ahead and apply, if they say no then end of story.

She was under the impression that once you were granted a visa then you can enter, until I pointed out that it wasn't so, you can still be turned away.
[/quote]

If she is granted a visa after explaining the original deportation situation fully on interview is is hardly likely that she will be then refused entry.

The provision to refuse entry to those with a visa is surely intended for applicants whose situation has changed since granting of a visa. Not for an Immigration Officer at the point of entry to have a 'second opinion' of the original deportation situation.

It is also pertinent to point out that 17 years ago the authorities had a far more relaxed attitude to young Brits having temporary work in the USA - after all it is not exactly a dreadful crime.

steph_goodrum
24-06-2006, 02:12
Even if your friend applies and is turned down that isn't necessarily the end of her chances to get a Visa.

We ahve a friend who about 5 years ago was refused entry under the Visa waiver as they thought he might look for work as his ticket was for 3 months and he had just lost his 2 closest relatives, his Mum and Nan. He was to be staying with relatives in Atlanta. He wes denied entry and applied for a Visa a couple of months later to go and visit , the first was refused (he was told it would more than liekly be as it was a sort of "slap on the wrist" to make sure he wasn't going to try anything. He was able to reapply after a year and this time it was granted and he has travelled at least half a dozen times since then.

mizzy
24-06-2006, 02:50
i think that if you can prove that you have strong ties within the uk ie a mortgage, family and permanant employment then you will possibly have a better chance of them saying yes

like Steph says i wouldn't even bother asking advice and wasting time and good money with the premium rate number just tell them straight out that you need an interview because you do not meet the criteria for the visa waiver scheme

Mizzy

Sally D
24-06-2006, 22:33
Thank you to all who replied[clap]

ShirleyD
25-06-2006, 00:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Even if your friend applies and is turned down that isn't necessarily the end of her chances to get a Visa.

We ahve a friend who about 5 years ago was refused entry under the Visa waiver as they thought he might look for work as his ticket was for 3 months and he had just lost his 2 closest relatives, his Mum and Nan. He was to be staying with relatives in Atlanta. He wes denied entry and applied for a Visa a couple of months later to go and visit , the first was refused (he was told it would more than liekly be as it was a sort of "slap on the wrist" to make sure he wasn't going to try anything. He was able to reapply after a year and this time it was granted and he has travelled at least half a dozen times since then.
[/quote]
Many years ago my brother went to New York with a friend and was staying with his friends relatives. He was advised to have a letter from his college or work place to say that he was expected back at the end of his holiday, just in case immigration were worried he intended to stay