PDA

View Full Version : alligators

poolman
22-06-2006, 18:15
Hi all we need some reassurance that our stay in rotonda west is not going to be spoilt by the news that a alligator lives in the lake just outside the villa we are staying in. My wife is concerned about swimming in the pool and having food outside the villa. We thought that this would have been pointed out to us before booking the villa.

Many Thanks Poolman & wife

Vanessa
22-06-2006, 18:36
Hi Poolman & Wife,

I think you will be fine in the Villa and caged pool area. I think alot of the media about alligator attacks when you read the encounters the people put themselves at risk. I have stayed in Rotonda West and am presently building a vacation rental home there. It is a beautiful area and although our home is not on a canal or lake I think you and your family will be fine. I would not recommend leaving any food out at night in the caged pool area not so much for alligators but for other night prowlers. Relax and enjoy your stay.:)

chrizzy100
22-06-2006, 18:38
You'll have to ask the owner if there is a gator in the lake..no-one else could really tell you for sure..

chrizzy100
22-06-2006, 18:44
Just a check in the pool area on a morning is a good idea anyway..the screens are there to keep bugs out..clearing food is a good idea..raccoons and skunks love left out food and can do a lot of damage to screens..

blott
22-06-2006, 18:52
There are probably alligators in areas of fresh water in Florida and most guests probably don't even notice. Those that do notice usually think it's great to have their 'own' alligator and get quite attached to it in my experience.

An alligator isn't going to get into your pool (it wouldn't like the chlorine in it for a start!) and won't even approach your pool net screen. Alligators are fearful of humans generally and keep their distance. They're not going to worry about you because there's lots of fish available without too much effort.

Eating on the pool deck is just fine as long as you don't leave food out there overnight - not necessarily because of an alligator but all the other wildlife in Florida looking for a free meal.

Feeding alligators is illegal according to Florida law and also feeding all sorts of other wildlife so don't be tempted to do this. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

Have a word with your villa owner who I'm sure will be able to reassure your wife. You'll have a great time.

Lynnes
22-06-2006, 18:52
We just came back from the gulf and had no problem at all with alligators. Unfortunately the hype has gotten out of hand. Tell your wife not to worry, I am a scardie cat and i was perfectly happy.

22-06-2006, 20:24
We have seen many gators in Florida, but that is to be expected as almost all fresh water has gators.

I agree with Blotts post except we had a overly friendly gator in a lake once, that our villa backed onto. we love it!!!

They only tend to go into pools without screens.

You just take sensible precautions and do not ever feed them.

Here is a very useful website...........

http://www.floridaconservation.org/gators/faq/lwa.htm

Don't let your worries spoil your holiday, we have stayed at Rotonda backing onto a canal and never saw one even though we wished we had!

Mo Green
23-06-2006, 14:11
Hi Poolman and wife

Our villa in Rotonda West backs onto a canal where there is a small alligator but we rarely see it even though we stay two or three times a year. Our guests have named him 'Ali G' but from the comments very few people see him either. We eat every meal outside while we are there and barbecue outside the cage area without any problem. If you don't do anything to encourage them they will not bother you. Once they reach 4 feet Alligators in Rotonda are caught and taken to the Everglades.
It is advisable not to leave any left over food outside as this will encourage ants and raccoons.

ShirleyD
23-06-2006, 15:27
Have a wonderful holiday Poolman and do let us know whether you actually see the gator. As others have said, they do try to keep away from humans and that is why Florida strictly inforces the 'No feed'law to keep both the gators and humans safe.
The recent reports in the UK press, failed to point out how rare any attacks were as that would seem less exciting.

gerry67
20-07-2006, 00:40
WE WERE IN A VILLA IN ROTONDA WITH THE LAKE BEHIND US AND NEVA SAW THE ALLIGATOR ONCE AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT WHEN IT DOES COME OUT IT WILL CAUSE NO HARM UNLESS ITS ANOYED

Clare R
20-07-2006, 12:58
Gerry,

Alligators are cold blooded animals and therefore during the summer months tend to stay in the warmed water, during the winter they will sometimes lie on the banks to get warm. Believe me there were alligators in the canal behind your house, I saw them there only last month, there isn't a lot to see, nose, eyes and part of their back as they glide by.

Clare
http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1367.aspx

Katys Grandad
20-07-2006, 14:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gerry67
WHEN IT DOES COME OUT IT WILL CAUSE NO HARM UNLESS ITS ANOYED
[/quote]

Have you thought about naming it "Wayne Rooney"?

julieanne
20-07-2006, 14:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gerry67
WHEN IT DOES COME OUT IT WILL CAUSE NO HARM UNLESS ITS ANOYED
[/quote]

Have you thought about naming it "Wayne Rooney"?
[/quote]

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Robert5988
20-07-2006, 15:46
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Robert5988/200672011460_aligator.jpg

Katys Grandad
20-07-2006, 15:51
We really ought to start a caption competition for that one Robert.