PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy of Flight

porky
23-02-2002, 19:00
Another place for aviation enthusiast to visit. I'd forgotten about this until I was reviewing my villa info book.

It's off the I-4 and is well worth the entry price. Boy, that guy Kermit Weekes must have some money to be able to buy all those aircraft and keep them in flying order. He's even got the last flying Sunderland over there. Seems we Brits can't keep anything here can we?
Best of all, he flies different planes each day.

There is a website though at the moment they're constructing some of the pages. Must admit I prefered the previous offering to this one. It can be seen at http://www/fantasyofflight.com

As I said, well worth a visit, but the fighter simulators are more for kiddies than adults. Hubby was upset cause he envisaged a simulator similar to the harrier one he worked on in the air force. I had to laugh when I saw what they were really like.

Jacqui

markemma
24-02-2002, 14:20
We wasn't too impressed when we went a few years ago. we wouldn't bother doing it again.

Emma

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-02-2002, 14:33
We went last November and thought it was nice, but a bit lacking in content.

You can go to Duxford (Imperial War Museum) or Cosford (RAF Museum) in the UK and see a *lot* more aircraft and more interesting types. I think it was the flyer (pun intended :)) that said 'worlds largest collection of historic aircraft' that built it up a bit too much for us and thus we were disapointed when we got there.

Still, worth a half day out.

John & Sarah

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

mikep
12-05-2003, 02:17
We enjoyed our day there. I agree about the simulators though. I was expecting something better. However, one tip if you plan a visit. On arrival, ask if you can be the "volunteer" to try the helicopter simulator. This was demonstrated am and pm when we visited in 2001. This is a fascinating piece of kit. Firmly fixed to the ground, and driven by a series of hydraulic pumps with full-size helicopter controls, this skeletal cabin was used to teach the basics to budding pilots in the early days of helicoptors. It is NOT an easy thing to master. It took me several minutes to gain some kind of control over it, but I'm glad I tried it.
Also watching the STOL performance of the Storch that was flown that day was amazing. We had some great burgers in the cafe too!