PDA

View Full Version : Busch and travellers cheques

sammibabe
13-06-2006, 01:45
Have just returned from Florida[msnsad]and took some cash but mainly travellers cheques and credit card (Nationwide as it's the best one to use abroad). Amex tc and Amex say in their blurb that you don't need id. Went to Busch and bought a picture of daughter on Sheikra with TC, no id. Wanted to buy something from gift shop and they wouldn't do it without id. They don't care about what Amex say, it is their policy. Had been in Flotida for 2 weeks by then with no trouble. On the way home stopped in Perkins for dinner same thing (they let it go as we had already eaten the food!) and the next night in Bob Evans where we had already eaten 5 times with TC. Anybody else had any probs and what is the deal with TC please.

christhear
13-06-2006, 02:04
You are supposed to show ID but most places don't bother. If you were using stolen travellers checks the shop has no comeback if they dont ask for ID.
We had our travellers checks stolen a few years ago, reported them and got replacements. If the thiefs used them at a place that didn't ask for id they got a good result and the bank would not have honoured them.
I have no problem showing Id and wish more people would ask for it.

amy
13-06-2006, 02:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
Have just returned from Florida[msnsad]and took some cash but mainly travellers cheques and credit card (Nationwide as it's the best one to use abroad). Amex tc and Amex say in their blurb that you don't need id. Went to Busch and bought a picture of daughter on Sheikra with TC, no id. Wanted to buy something from gift shop and they wouldn't do it without id. They don't care about what Amex say, it is their policy. Had been in Flotida for 2 weeks by then with no trouble. On the way home stopped in Perkins for dinner same thing (they let it go as we had already eaten the food!) and the next night in Bob Evans where we had already eaten 5 times with TC. Anybody else had any probs and what is the deal with TC please.
[/quote]
Unless you travelled there by bus you should have had your Drivers Licence with you as you have to carry it with you when driving.

sammibabe
13-06-2006, 12:21
Amex say that even if the TC are stolen if the signature is a reasonable match they will pay. Trouble was I had the TCs and my husband was driving.

sammibabe
13-06-2006, 12:31
Have just found info from Amex that we read before we went. Acceptor guidlines (from leaflet) "Just watch your customer countersign in the lower left corner of the cheque. Then compare the counter signature to the signature to the signaature in the upper left corner. If the signatures are a reasonable match, accept the cheque. No identification is needed. You simply follow the 'watch and compare' signature check and as long as the signatures are a reasonable match, then payment is guaranteed by American Express." This is why we had a problem and to be honest as this is the case we shouldn't have had it.

pieman790
13-06-2006, 13:16
Have to say i was never asked to produce my ID when i was using our travellers cheques two weeks ago.
However what is more worring is that i used my credit card many times whilst away and the signature strip has worn off but was still accepted. Most places dont have chip and pin in the US at present and i was only asked to produce my driving licence on a few occassions. Requested a new card for my next trip.

ALR
20-06-2006, 11:49
We didn't have any problems with travellers cheques and I am planning on using them again next time. They worked like cash for us.

ALR

Homer
20-06-2006, 17:36
Used them a lot when i was last there never got asked once for ID

I always carry something anyway "just in case"

jackie greaves
20-06-2006, 17:37
It always worries me that they don't check your signature when paying by credit card. My worst nightmare would be to loose my card whilst in Florida.
I always make sure I keep the emergency number on me in a seperate place to my card.

nicklangdon
21-06-2006, 19:06
We used the travellers cheque card and only got asked once for ID which surprised me. [msnsmile]
Ali

ujpest doza
21-06-2006, 19:52
I've used Travellers Cheques loads of times in the US and have never ever been asked for ID.

I have been asked to do Chip and PIN in Publix but even though i knew my PIN the darn thing wouldn't work and i had to use a different card that wasn't chip and pin (wouldn't let me sign with the one that was[?])

The other strange thing about credit card signatures is in big stores like Burdines you sign an electronic pad with a magnetic pen giving a signature that looks nothing like it would on a piece of paper[?]

E. Cosgrove
21-06-2006, 22:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
[/quote]
Unless you travelled there by bus you should have had your Drivers Licence with you as you have to carry it with you when driving.
[/quote]
My old style licence is no good as they usually want photo ID[msnsad]