PDA

View Full Version : visa - marriage

idlewilde
11-06-2006, 16:30
Hi I'm new to this Forum, I have been reading all the information on visas and now i feel really bewildered.
We are going to Florida next year to get married, staying in a villa found through this forum - so thanks very much for that! The thing is I don't know if we will need visas or not. My fiance had to go to court a year ago for a speeding conviction, he got points on his licence and a fine, does this mean he will need a visa? Would it just be better to get us both visas to avoid any problems? Also as we are getting married will we need anything else? I'm worried I'll have problems with my passport on return as i'll be taking his name.
Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

ShirleyD
11-06-2006, 18:44
Getting married is not a problem as your ticket will be in the same name as your passport. The problem is when the passport and ticket are in different names and you would have to produce your marriage certificate to prove the name change.

Most speeding fines don't go to court, was this because you were contesting it? As far as I am aware, if it is just a speeding fine and not a conviction for something else (dangerous driving or drinking etc) then you will not need a visa. You will definately not need one even if it turns out your fiance does and would only add cost to your travel

Ray9
11-06-2006, 20:18
Speeding is not a crime involving moral turpitude and is of no importance and no need to be declared..
You will have booked your ticket in your maiden name and your passport will still be in you maiden name ..so no problem there ..

Your hardest problem is deciding where to get married ..
prices can vary from $100 to $100,000 ....

The licence fee is a mere $93.50 (cash only in most counties)

idlewilde
11-06-2006, 21:07
Thank you for your advice! :)
You are right tho, we can't decide where to get married, we are looking for something simple, but they all seem to be themed or "corny"! Do you have any suggestions?

chrizzy100
11-06-2006, 21:09
A beach wedding always looks nice...

caroline
11-06-2006, 21:43
We've had guests get married on our pool deck! So if you're staying in a villa that could be an option.

Ray9
12-06-2006, 09:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by idlewilde
Thank you for your advice! :)
You are right tho, we can't decide where to get married, we are looking for something simple, but they all seem to be themed or "corny"! Do you have any suggestions?
[/quote]
Depends on your budget ..and how many people ..
As chrissy suggest ..the beach can be nice ..
I have married a few people on my local beach ..at sunset ..
cheap as chips ...for the very budget conscious..

blott
12-06-2006, 10:58
You can get married practically anywhere in Florida (from underwater to sky diving and everything else in between) so if you have a special place that you've been to before or want to try something different?

It's a day you're going to remember for the rest of your life and tell your grandchildren about so take some time on deciding about it if you don't know already.

steph_goodrum
12-06-2006, 13:42
The difference between Florida and here is that whereas in UK the place where you get married has to be licensed, in Florida it is th eCelebrant who is licensed so you can choose virtually anywhere to perform the ceremony.

If either of you have been married before you need proof of end of marriage either death certificate or decreee absolute when you apply for your license at the courthouse.

Michelle
13-06-2006, 02:49
There us the little White Wedding chapel in Kissimmee.

bouncey
13-06-2006, 03:15
I got married at Leu gardens, simple yet elegant.

sundowner
13-06-2006, 14:05
Ray9, I am intrigued quote "I have married several people on the beach at sunset" Isn't there a law about how many wives you are allowed !!!
[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Ray9
13-06-2006, 22:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sundowner
Ray9, I am intrigued quote "I have married several people on the beach at sunset" Isn't there a law about how many wives you are allowed !!!
[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[/quote]
LOL.......
I am a notary public .. I can officiate any Florida wedding anywhere in the State ...

I actually got married in our garden ..just the once ...

honeybee
14-06-2006, 00:28
My duaghter got married in cypress grove same palce as we got married, my hiusband says he wants group discount if the other two marry there. Lovely service and nice location