PDA

View Full Version : New at Boggy Creek Airboats

blott
10-06-2006, 20:39
On Wednesday, we tried out something new at Boggy Creek Airboats at Southport... Boggy Creek Buggy Ride!

This was a large, all terrain vehicle with enormous tyres which is wheelchair accessible, which took us on an exciting and very interesting ride. Be warned, it's bumpy, very bumpy!

The ride lasts 40 mins and goes through a cattle ranch adjacent to Boggy Creek Airboats. There was a very knowledgeable guide who stopped and pointed out various wildlife. We were on the 4.10 pm ride.

We saw... racoons, wild deer (lots of them, they didn't run away or seem frightened, even though we were only about 20 feet away), some cattle (including some imported from India because of their climatic conditions are similar), the very first sighting (for the guide too because they're vulnerable to attack and make sure they hide) of a mother wild turkey with all her young running after her and, very best of all, a pair of bald eagles (the very best siting of all time for them too) sitting in a tree and watching us - we were about 30 feet away from them and apparently they normally take to flight if anyone comes near - we were very lucky! The 'fun' animals were four alligators (about 4 feet long and all the same family and sex - otherwise they fight apparently) in a lake and they love marshmallows. Yes, they go mad for marshmallows folks! Don't try this trick of feeding any alligators anywhere - these were all fenced in - feeding wild alligators is against the law in Florida and will get the animals the death penalty.

We were told that they would be expanding the alligator feature for next year with a much larger area and more alligators. Apparently, they will try to offer added things each year so that, if you go a second or third time, there will always be something new to see.

We also did the Air Boat Ride (for about the fifth time I think) and got the first sighting of the day of an alligator (we went on the 3.10 pm ride), lots of heron, including blue heron, some turtles and cranes but the best part (for Mum at least) was the whizzy ride around the lake and reed beds.

You can get a combo ticket for the buggy and air boats from the Southport location (but sadly not from the ticket link above - just boggy creek air boat rides on there). The buggy only happens at the Southport location which is at the end of Poinciana Boulevard.

Tracey
10-06-2006, 20:44
Sounds good Blott.
We saw the buggy when we did the airboat ride at Easter. After your report I think we will give it a try in October.
:D

LiesaAnna
11-06-2006, 02:21
thats a definate yippee to that Blott!! we're definately going back in 07 so it will be top of my to do list (am sure the others will love it)
thanks Blott for the above info, its very interesting, will enjoy it

dawn
11-06-2006, 03:00
Thanks for that Blott. As much as we love the parks, it makes a nice change to see some 'real' Florida for a change, will look forward to trying it out[msnsmile2]

owen3
11-06-2006, 04:10
Never been to Boggy creek yet, will try it next time, it sounds good.
Barbara

chrizzy100
11-06-2006, 04:20
Years ago..my son got to watch a baby gator leave its egg and hold it at boggy creek..the lady told him the gator will always think he was its mother..and that if he goes back to the creek it will remember him..I thought it was sweet of her to care for him because he was sick on the bus...he was 4 at the time..we sometime wonder if the gator is still out there..

weemac
12-06-2006, 01:45
That sounds great - we are always looking for something different to do so this will definately be on our "to do" list for this summer (only 3 weeks this Saturday!![msnsmile]). Do you have to book or can you just turn up and what is the best time of day to do the trip - does anyone know?

blott
12-06-2006, 02:22
You can't book (except if you want to do a night air boat ride) so you just turn up. If there's a short wait, there are lots of picnic tables there or a snack facility in the store - along with a massive alligator!

It's usually supposed to be best to see wildlife either earlier in the morning or late afternoon. Alligators stay under water when it gets too hot during the middle of the day for the air boat rides, although you'll see plenty of other wildlife.

We seem to have timed it well (times in post above) to see plenty of wildlife.

kitty
24-07-2006, 00:33
We went on the combo ride/air boat and truck ride and it made a good half day out,best to go early though as we only had half hour to wait for our ride and after we finished the queue was a 3 hour wait,
as blott said you get to see quite a bit of wild life,also good to see the alligators in the lake,the guide takes chicken with him to get the alligators to come up the bank a bit,got some good photos to which we will try to get on here sometime.[msncool]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-07-2006, 02:33
We went on this when we were in Florida in May last year (I think they had literally just started it then) and really enjoyed it. We saw all manner of wildlife on the way round. I'd definitely recommend it as you get to see the real Florida.

Albert the Frog
24-07-2006, 02:55
Value wise we thought this was great-we saw alligators,snakes etc and in the far distance there were 2 bald eagles nesting-we couldn't see the detail but a thrill all the same-i would thoroughly recommend it and the buggy ride sounds just as good!

ncmurray
27-07-2006, 13:28
That sound great, Blott. We have been to Florida a couple of times, but have never done Boggy Creek. When you say the Southport location, does this mean there are two Boggy Creeks? Or maybe just two entrances? If you were to do both the airboat and buggy, how much time would you need? Is it a good idea to bring a picnic?

Thanks

Lynne S
27-07-2006, 13:35
We really enjoyed the airboats at the Southport location, down Poinciana Blvd, I do like the sound of the buggy.

[website link edited] Opp's sorry

kokomo
27-07-2006, 13:43
Hubby wants to go to Boggy Creek next time we are out, I thought it sounded quite boring, but after reading your report, I am definately up for it, thanks Blott.

ncmurray
27-07-2006, 13:48
Thanks, Lynne. I have checked out the website, and have found all that I need.

jackie greaves
27-07-2006, 14:07
We done this ride last Easter and thought it was great, well worth the money. Didn't see alot of wildlife but the boat went really fast.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-07-2006, 14:52
Here's a photo of us with the "Buggy" from last May:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/floridadreamvilla.co.uk/200672710529_DSCN0704.jpg

LiesaAnna
27-07-2006, 17:50
nice photo John and Sarah and children xx

ALR
27-07-2006, 21:38
This is something we haven't tried yet.

ALR

floridageoff
27-07-2006, 22:19
It's on our to-do-list for November!

christhear
27-07-2006, 22:36
when we were on our way to the Southport location we saw a bald eagle beside the ride, got to within a couple of metres before it flew away, I couldn't believe my eyes.

andrewmckay5
27-07-2006, 22:56
Sorry for hi jacking the thread but if you are visiting the Gulf there is a similar thing at the Babcock Wilderness Park.
Photos:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_27368.asp

andrew