PDA

View Full Version : August weather

DAFF
10-06-2006, 01:20
Hi, my family and I are going to Florida next year for the first three weeks in August. I know it's hurricane season but was just wondering if the heat was unbearable at this time of year, and what to expect? The joys of working in a school!

Kazzie
10-06-2006, 01:50
It is very hot at this time of year but its not really unbearable as you can always nip into somewhere that is airconditioned when it gets a bit too much. Are you staying in a villa as if you are just take a quip dip in the pool to have a cool off. We are bound to the school hols too and most of our hols to Florida have been during August. The heat has never stopped us from going back at that time of year.

Karen

DAFF
10-06-2006, 02:02
Cheers Karen, It's nice to know we won't melt!

10-06-2006, 02:45
As Karen says it will be hot and humid but there is plenty of air conditioning to cool you down, watch your hydration when in the parks with the little ones, plenty of water to drink, also you will have the regular thunder storms to cool you down in the pm at some time too[msnwink]

We have 5 children and have been going in August and other school hols for last 20+ years and only got caught in a hurricane once[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Have a fab time but do build in some chill out days otherwise the little ones will be shattered[msnwink]

heathercobbett
10-06-2006, 12:49
We took a friend who hates the heat one August.He was fine;as already stated everywhere is airconditioned,and he said the lack of dust and the proliferation of trees make all the difference.

You can buy hand held fans that mist you with water from Walmart(keep them in the fridge overnight)Adding a few drops of pure lavender is lovely and soothing A wet flannel round your neck is very cooling too!

Another good idea is to get your hand stamped at the Parks and come back to your villa for a swim and a rest in the afternoon.you then can go back to your park suitably refreshed.Check your park website for closing times.It is a good idea to buy hopper tickets for maximum flexibilty

Talk to your villa owner;they will be full of tips to make the most of your stay

Robert5988
10-06-2006, 15:59
Central Florida is really hot and humid in August.

However it is not mandatory that you visit the Parks - or even Orlando. The beaches are much nicer.

wrpac00
10-06-2006, 17:19
Go in August every year, don't think its any hotter than places in Europe.

Kazzie
11-06-2006, 01:21
Paul has a very valid point here. Try going to Greece or Cyprus in August! The definite advantage for Florida is that, wherever you are staying will have air-conditioning and every shop, bar, restaurant will be too.[msnsmile2]

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
Go in August every year, don't think its any hotter than places in Europe.
[/quote]

Maz
11-06-2006, 13:42
Very true - most places are hot and humid in AUgust - when those with kids need to take main holidays. But in Orlando you can get out of it into air coned cars, restaurants, villas etc.

The Cardinal
12-08-2006, 01:06
I thought the heat was as bad as it got in Florida in August... then we went to Egypt! Big mistake. Temperature around 32 degrees.

Minimum.

At night.

At one point I'm sure the thermometer read 40 degrees air temperature...

And no wonderful storms to cool us down either [msncry]

dawn
13-08-2006, 05:31
We have been in Orlando 2 weeks now, and the weather has been glorious, no big queues at the parks, not too humid and only 3 rain showers - fantastic[msncool]

Ray&Sarah
13-08-2006, 13:10
We usually go to Florida in August, it is hot but not unbearable, we tend to go from one lot of air-conditioning to another, villa to car to shops to restaurants and home again. The parks are pretty good at cooling you down with sprays and they have air-conditioned shops and restaurants for a break from the sun.

My favourite time is first thing in the morning sitting out on the pool deck eating breakfast, great way to start the day.[msnsmile2]

JoRo
13-08-2006, 15:13
We went in August for years - and then went to the med. My husband hated the fact he couldn't get out of the heat in the med. Even in the theme parks they have things like water mist showers to walk through to keep you cool. Go for it and have fun!
Joyce

Joeybaby
25-08-2006, 04:00
im over here now and it has rained every day at about 5:30 but it only rains for about 10 mins and the rest of the day its sunny

Jo
25-08-2006, 07:32
we have ususally been at Christmas or Easter, but are here now for the first time in August.

Yes , it is hot , but there is not that slightly chilly feeling that you get sometimes as you head off to the parks early. It's quite easy to cool down with a show or indoor attraction once it hots up. I'm very impressed with how effective the air con is in the shops and at the villa

The best bit for us is the parks are so much quieter than we are used to , so we are getting loads done in the morning, having a greta time in the pool at the villa in the afternoon , then heading back for the fireworks in the wammth of an evening too.

The water parks are a must too at this time of year