PDA

View Full Version : car hire

poolman
07-06-2006, 15:47
Hi all, only 2 months 10 days to go, can't wait, my question is i have hired a car from this site from Dollar a 4x4, they advertise a jeep grand cherokee will i actually get this or am i more likely to get something similer.

Many Thanks great site

Poolman

pieman790
07-06-2006, 16:01
Dollar tend to allocate on arrival, so may get it or more likely something similar.
A friend of mine recently booked a 8 seater mini van but were given a 12 seater, and another booked a convertable, they were given a PT Convertable but asked for a Seebring and were given a Seebring it goes down to availabilty but it maybe worth asking at the Dollar desk

shenon
07-06-2006, 16:24
We have booked a grand jeep cherokee several times from here and have always so far had just that:)

DaveL
07-06-2006, 16:45
Most of the time we have had what we booked including the Jeep last time. When they have not had what was ordered they have always offered a free upgrade which you can always bring back and change for the lower grade if you want.

Dave

Kazzie
07-06-2006, 17:42
I booked the Jeep 4x4 with Dollar through this site for our February trip and was delighted after refusing their offer to upgrade, that they didnt have a Jeep. We got upgraded free to the Dodge Dorango:D Beautiful motor[msnsmile2]

Karen

bigsux
07-06-2006, 18:11
Last year we booked a Grand Jeep Cherokee and were offered an upgrade to a Dodge Durango, we refused and they gave it to us for FREE anyway. It is a brilliant car, but very large for just 2 people, we didn't half fill the luggage space, even coming home (with extra cases)!!!!:):)

dolphinv
07-06-2006, 18:28
At Christmas, we booked a Jeep Cherokee and was offered an upgrade at the airport. The upgrade we turned down and went to the car park to find a Dodge Durango 7 seat 4X4 waiting for us.
Have fun!!!

Linicia
08-06-2006, 04:05
We ordered a Jeep from this site and were given a Durango without being asked to upgrade. I saw no Jeeps in the car park. The Durango was huge for the two of us but boy did I get a lot of shopping in it. Great car.

bargainqueen
08-06-2006, 10:17
In March I ordered a Jeep, offered an upgrade to Durango, turned it down ;)but when we got to car park found a Jeep[:O] So it doesn't always work.

Still I thought it was just as good as the Durango I was given several trips ago. Then we had hired a 7 seater for just two of us (we always have 4 huge bags and golf clubs and that time we were flying BA) When we got to car park we had been given a "school bus" by the trainee at the counter, went back to key collection and was offered a Durango. The name meant nothing to me, I just wanted something with plenty of luggage space rather than seats. Top car, now on my Lottery wish list[msnsmile2]

roger
08-06-2006, 11:15
If you book a 4x4 you usually do get a Grand Cherokee, but as you can see above often are allocated the 7/8 seater Durango.

Dollar see the Durango as an upgrade, but as it is in the 4x4 category, if you are charged by Dollar for upgrading to a Durango, we can help you claim back the upgrade fee from Dollar once you return to the UK (but keep all your paperwork).

What we can't do is request a Durango in advance, so dont book a 4x4 if you have more than 5 people in the hope you will receive a Durango, just in case there is not one available.

poolman
08-06-2006, 21:26
Many Thanks for all your advice i think i will turn down an upgrade as there is only four adults and one child in our party the jeep will be fine.

poolman

jotter
21-06-2006, 02:21
Roger,

How easy is to obtain a refund for a 4x4 upgrade, I am about to book a 4x4 via this site for the 29/7 and I would prefer a durango as I have driven these in the past, however I know dollar increase the upgrade costs at peak holiday times (they wanted an extra £340 when we were over at christmas) and I would be reluctant to pay this if it was a problem to reclaim it.

Cheers
Joe

roger
21-06-2006, 15:27
It's easy, but takes around 4 weeks once you return to the UK. Make sure you keep your paperwork from Dollar, and email us as soon as possible after you return (stating the exact amount charged by Dollar for the upgrade). Typically, if they do charge at all, they charge $10 per day plus approx 12% tax.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jotter
Roger,

How easy is to obtain a refund for a 4x4 upgrade, I am about to book a 4x4 via this site for the 29/7 and I would prefer a durango as I have driven these in the past, however I know dollar increase the upgrade costs at peak holiday times (they wanted an extra £340 when we were over at christmas) and I would be reluctant to pay this if it was a problem to reclaim it.

Cheers
Joe
[/quote]

Madabouttigger
21-06-2006, 16:08
I've booked a 7 seater with Dollar for out trip in Novemebre and would love a Durango, am I likely to get one??[msnscared]

Diane.

Kazzie
21-06-2006, 18:59
I shouldnt think you will get a Durango when you have booked a 7 seater Diane, as the Durango is really only suitable for 5 people.

You are more likely to get a Durango if you have booked a 4X4 Jeep.

Karen

roger
21-06-2006, 19:50
It's possible, but you would almost certainly be charged an upgrade fee by Dollar, which we would not then be able to claim back for you.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger
I've booked a 7 seater with Dollar for out trip in Novemebre and would love a Durango, am I likely to get one??[msnscared]

Diane.
[/quote]

Madabouttigger
21-06-2006, 20:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger
It's possible, but you would almost certainly be charged an upgrade fee by Dollar, which we would not then be able to claim back for you.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger

Diane.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thats not a problem, I was just wondering what we would get? On the Dollar site site it does mention Durango or equevellent and I was just wondering what we might get. Would be a very happy bunny if it was a Durengo though [msnwink]
Diane.

palmvillas
21-06-2006, 21:21
We booked a Jeep Cherokee in May through Dollar Express and we got upgraded to a Jeep commander,a friend got upgraded to a Dodge Durango.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

roger
22-06-2006, 02:17
That's a good point, as I've mentioned in other threads. If you become a member of Dollar Express (free of charge) you are far more likely to get free upgrades. We are one of few (if any other) agents able to include your Express membership details on your bookings wih us, and it really does help (as well as avoiding any posible queues).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by palmvillas
We booked a Jeep Cherokee in May through Dollar Express and we got upgraded to a Jeep commander,a friend got upgraded to a Dodge Durango.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

roger
27-06-2006, 20:24
Important - Please read this information that has come through today. Below is a copy of an email we have just sent out to all future 4x4 bookings with us:

"This is a courtesy email to inform you about Dollar’s local upgrade policy and does not affect your booking with us for your 4x4.

The 4x4 vehicle usually offered by Dollar is the Jeep Grand Cherokee (although Dollar still do not guarantee a particular model).

In the past, some customers have chosen to upgrade (on arrival at the depot) to a larger model of 4x4 called the Dodge Durango (a seven seater 4x4). Of these customers, many received a free upgrade to the Durango and some had to pay an upgrade fee locally. Those customers that chose to upgrade and were also charged an upgrade fee, were in the past able to receive a refund of that upgrade fee from Dollar upon their return to the UK.

Dollar have informed us that as from now, any such upgrade fee’s will not be refundable.

We are still able to request a Durango for customers booking a 4x4 (and it is still subject to availability) but any upgrade fees charged by Dollar are not reclaimable from Dollar. Typically the upgrade fee payable to Dollar is approx $10 per day.

Again, this does not affect you if you have booked a 4x4 and do not plan on upgrading when you arrive at the Dollar desk."