PDA

View Full Version : safety in the neighborhoods

arubamama
07-06-2006, 03:28
I am interested in staying a few wks in the Kissimmee area and am thinking of renting a villa. I have received many fine replies and am securing my vacation weeks. The Question? How is the crime. any problems ?

Paula D-S
07-06-2006, 10:12
We have been to Florida and stayed in Kissimmee quite a few times and have never encounted any crime.

erowlands
07-06-2006, 10:22
We have been going to Florida since 1992,we feel perfectly safe in Kissimmee and on the many estates that we have stayed on,we have never encountered any problems what so ever. enjoy your stay Eric and Ann

DaveL
07-06-2006, 10:26
We have been going to the area for the last 30 years and have never had any problems, go and enjoy yourself.

Dave

LiesaAnna
07-06-2006, 11:40
its a great place..............

Rhosyn
07-06-2006, 11:52
Stayed on my own in a villa last week, Did not give it a thought felt very safe.

S&VEdwards
07-06-2006, 12:55
This was a concern of ours when we first visited as we had heard some horror stories. Should never have worried and do not give it a second thought now. Do not feel unsafe in any way. It is scarier living in London. People in Florida are so kind and respectful - have seen people living handbags and shopping unattended and never seen anyone take any notice. You just couldn't do that here.

dawn
07-06-2006, 13:25
I always feel comfortable whenever I am in Florida, more so than in the UK, don't worry and enjoy yourself[8D]

fiona
07-06-2006, 13:45
I have to say we have never had the slightest concern in the 11 years we have been visiting florida. I too was rather nervous on our first visit (grown up with too many US cop shows I think!) but never had worries - the drivers seem far more courteous, and in the parks people seem to look out for each other and call you back about a bag left behind or rush after you with it.

ShirleyD
07-06-2006, 15:48
We've been going on and off for 25 years and never had any problems. I am perfectly happy to go out on my own there

cad-properties
07-06-2006, 17:49
I am a nervous person, but we have been travelling to Orlando since 1991 and have never had any problems. When I'm there I never think of things like that as I'm having too much of a good time.
Go and enjoy your holiday.

Clair.
http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/495.aspx

andrewandcarole
07-06-2006, 18:05
The following puts it in perpective for me:

My daughter was staying in our villa and lost her mobile (cell) phone. To get it repaced she needed to report it lost to the local police and get a reference number. She called the local number and they actually sent an officer out to our home to take the report!

My daughter is a serving police officer in the UK. She apologised profusely for what she thought was wasting his time. He said no problem - it's normal! He came in, sat down, had a coffee and chatted to her about policing in the UK!

Now that clearly sums up the level of crime in our part of Florida! Could you imagine that happening in the UK?!!

Carole

Cruella DeVilla
07-06-2006, 18:20
Something I don't even give a thought to, although it is lke any city in any country you take normal precautions to keep your house, yourself and your possessions safe.

Mr G
07-06-2006, 18:47
I know some of the local Police Detectives based in Kissimmee and when I visit I sometimes meet up with one or two of them and ask them about problems and Crime trends.

They have the usual problems but to be fair Kissimmee is very safe and stranger Crime is very small. Crime against comercial property forms the main.

I think common sense as already sugested, lock cars, keep things out of sight,do not carry large amounts of cash around, there are loads of ATMS so use them and withdraw smaller amounts etc.

chrizzy100
07-06-2006, 18:48
I do a few more things in FL that I don't do at home..lock my car.. lock my home when I'm out for a walk..keep doors locked even when I'm home..but its not because anything as happened or I think there is a danger...its just being in a place I don't visit enough to really know the area..I don't think I've felt unsafe once while in FL..

orlandodaze
07-06-2006, 20:08
I feel very safe in Florida although we do tend to make a point of always making sure that younger kids dont wander off by themselves in the parks . I suppose we take the same precautions we would take anywhere in the world, but overall Florida appears to be extremely sake.

ellie
08-06-2006, 00:48
One of the things that always strikes us when in Disney is seeing row upon row of strollers left outside attractions, often full of personal items - we have even seen cameras left hanging on the handles. It is something you simply would not do in the UK. But despite there being no locks or security on these strollers, nobody seems to take anything. I think that is fantastic, as here in the UK you would never leave a stroller full of bits and pieces outside a shop for a moment.

We have never felt the slightest bit nervous in Florida. As others have said, the people are very friendly and welcoming, and malls etc are security patrolled.

It is great to visit a place where you have so little worry about safety. Just take the normal precautions you would anywhere.

:)

arubamama
08-06-2006, 01:56
thank you all for your honestly. I have brought senior citizens to Disney for several years, always staying at a resort hotel. I am glad to see that the area has remained fun for all. Common sense always prevails! Thanks again.