PDA

View Full Version : B2 Visa

sharon
22-07-2003, 02:58
Can anyone please tell me if everyone who aplies for a B2 visa has to be interviewed before the visa is granted. If so are all the interviews held in London (were in Liverpool so it's a bit of a pain traveling to London just to be interviewed!!)

blott
22-07-2003, 03:07
Well... you only get the compulsory interview if you're between 16 and 59, which is a new ruling which was introduced in Jan 2003. Unfortunately, all the interviews are at the American Embassy in London.

ryan91
22-01-2004, 17:03
Hi do you no what happens when you attend a interview ? as I have had issued a b2 visa twice now but on my 3 application I have to go in do you why and what they do

Cheers

Ryan

esprit
22-01-2004, 19:38
You have to attend an interview now at the embassy in London. Carla off these forums has just done it and may be able to tell you more. I think they just ask why you need a B2 instead of going in on visa waiver. If it is anything like the E2 interview, there is a huge wait but when you get to the window, you are there 30 seconds. My interview was also at 9 am so I had to stay over the night before which was a pain and expensive.

ryan91
30-01-2004, 22:25
Hi thanks for that it was a big help I went today and I it was not nice but done and out of the way now it will take 8 weeks or so well I will see any how thank you

Ryanx

Carla
30-01-2004, 22:44
We had a 10.30am appointment (as did many, many others!!) and finally left the Embassy at about 2pm. Take a good book with you and wear shoes that you can stand up in without problems!! Not enough seats to go around.

I was advised to get a B1/B2 visa by a couple of immigration officers last year because I go backwards and forwards regularly, and even though I wasn't staying for longer than the Visa Waiver allowed each time, these guys said that VW is really only intended for those who make less trips than me!! Each time I went over I got more of a "grilling".

At our interview the Embassy Clerk asked why we were applying for Visas because she said that we didn't need them!!! We got them in the end once I'd told her about my immigration experiences!!! We were interviewed for approximately 2-3 minutes. Our passports arrived back in the post about a week later.

Males between 16 and 45 also have to fill in an extra form, before going to the interview, which asks questions about whether you've been in the forces, had anything to do with guns and other arms, what jobs you've had and your recent employers.

If you fulfill all of the Visa Waiver conditions and will do for the forseeable future and don't go over to the US more than once or twice a year for shortish visits, then don't bother getting a B1/B2 visa because the whole process is expensive and a lot of hassle for no real gain. If the Clerk thinks that you can manage on Visa Waiver then he/she may turn you down.

kevinprewett
31-01-2004, 02:22
quote:Originally posted by Carla

We had a 10.30am appointment (as did many, many others!!) and finally left the Embassy at about 2pm. Take a good book with you and wear shoes that you can stand up in without problems!! Not enough seats to go around.

I was advised to get a B1/B2 visa by a couple of immigration officers last year because I go backwards and forwards regularly, and even though I wasn't staying for longer than the Visa Waiver allowed each time, these guys said that VW is really only intended for those who make less trips than me!! Each time I went over I got more of a "grilling".
Hi,
it's worth noting what Carla has said. Close friend has just been turned down after a 4 hour wait. He was told he can manage on a waiver.

Kevin:(

At our interview the Embassy Clerk asked why we were applying for Visas because she said that we didn't need them!!! We got them in the end once I'd told her about my immigration experiences!!! We were interviewed for approximately 2-3 minutes. Our passports arrived back in the post about a week later.

Males between 16 and 45 also have to fill in an extra form, before going to the interview, which asks questions about whether you've been in the forces, had anything to do with guns and other arms, what jobs you've had and your recent employers.

If you fulfill all of the Visa Waiver conditions and will do for the forseeable future and don't go over to the US more than once or twice a year for shortish visits, then don't bother getting a B1/B2 visa because the whole process is expensive and a lot of hassle for no real gain. If the Clerk thinks that you can manage on Visa Waiver then he/she may turn you down.

esprit
31-01-2004, 03:39
Apparently the grilling on multi arrivals is worse for single people arriving than families. They must think you are either looking for work or an American husband or wife to get a green card!! Carla was on her own I think!!

ryan91
31-01-2004, 03:59
Well I was in for 2 hours today but was sent from the nommigrant visa room to immigrant visa waiting room not really sure why

But after a 1 hour 30 min wait he came and to ask me about my last 2 waivers of ineligibility and why I need a new one gave a little hassle about my covering letter being the same as my last one just a few things changed and only dates are different well they would be as I only want a holiday as usual and asked a few more personal questions

But I need this visa ..... any how he said that he would refer me for my waiver so far so good found them helpful though

With the B1/B2 visa it just depends why you need it.

All I would say if you need one get one saveing any problems at the port of entry as you could end up in jail cell missing part or all your holiday and that would not be good [msnsad]

Carla
31-01-2004, 04:13
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Apparently the grilling on multi arrivals is worse for single people arriving than families. They must think you are either looking for work or an American husband or wife to get a green card!! Carla was on her own I think!!

I was on my own on both occasions when I had the problems with the immigration guys. Perhaps I just look suspicious & desperate!!
[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnwink][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

esprit
31-01-2004, 04:30
Both my kids arriving alone to visit parents who live here wre grilled. My daughter made things worse by saying her parents lived here but when asked where said Celebration but couldnt remember the road name ( good job we picked her up!!) Flying in from Guyana probably didnt help. My son had no luggage except a carry on ruck sack ( thats a no no too, little did they know he would go back with two huge suitcases) So it isnt just you, Carla!!

kevinprewett
31-01-2004, 11:14
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Both my kids arriving alone to visit parents who live here wre grilled. My daughter made things worse by saying her parents lived here but when asked where said Celebration but couldnt remember the road name ( good job we picked her up!!) Flying in from Guyana probably didnt help. My son had no luggage except a carry on ruck sack ( thats a no no too, little did they know he would go back with two huge suitcases) So it isnt just you, Carla!!

Hi,
no its noy just Carla. My son's studying at college in Illinois he gets interveiwed every time he arrives at o'hare in Chicago and he's on an F-1 visa!
Kevin[msnwink]

wilfy
31-01-2004, 18:37
My b1/b2 (and c1/d1) are about to expire next year. When i received these our head office was in Houston, but now it's in london, means i'll have to pay for it myself if i really want it :(.
As we'll only be travelling twice a year at most we'll stick with the visa waiver for now.
Must make sure the kid's passports are renewed b4 october, as their due to run out in November, we're planning to take 'em out at easter next year, as (keep it quite) it's Sarah's big five-o :D

simplyflorida
04-02-2004, 02:57
Sorry to be a bit dumb on this subject, but if I apply for a B2 visa with my wife and children and it is granted as we are home owners, how long does the visa last for. If it is only for a very short time, seems a bit silly in applying for it in the first place.

We are flying out in October 2004 (just been out for Christmas) and at the moment do not know which way to turn regarding getting a visa. Should we go for a tourist type one or for a home owners one.

Any suggestions please.

Phil and Sue

blott
04-02-2004, 03:04
Hi Phil & Sue

There are no 'home owners visas' as such. You can either enter the USA on the visa waiver program (if you are qualified to do so) and stay 90 days or less per visit or apply for a B2 visitors' visa and stay up to six months in any twelve months.

So, if you only travel to the USA twice a year for short periods, you don't need a visa at all if you're qualified to travel on the visa waiver program.

steph_goodrum
04-02-2004, 12:03
"If the Clerk thinks that you can manage on Visa Waiver then he/she may turn you down"

This has happened to a guest on here before and that in itself then presents it's own problems because to qualify for the Visa Waiver you have to ba able to answer "NO" to all the questions on the back... one of which is along the lines of "Have you ever been refused a Visa etc" so they have also then been inelligible to use the Visa waiver but cannot reapply for a B2 visa within a certain time (I think it is 12 months).
I don't know quite how the US get over this situation or maybe they don't.
The B2 lasts for 10 years.

ryan91
06-02-2004, 00:29
I got my last b2 visa for 1 year but I dont think you get a B1/B2 just because you a home onwner it maybe diffrent visa

Carla
06-02-2004, 00:47
B1/B2 visas are for 10 years. You cannot get one for just one year, Ryan. There is no such thing as a "home-owners visa" and owning a home in Florida or anywhere else in America doesn't qualify you for any type of visa at all.

Majority of UK nationals, who own homes in Florida, use the Visa Waiver scheme to get to the US, unless they are lucky enough to be able to stay for more than 90 days in any one trip or go backwards and forwards to the USA a lot each year.

florida4sun
06-02-2004, 02:39
They do issue them for shorter periods, I have no idea what the reason is but I know someone who has one for just 12 months.

Martin

B1/B2 visas are for 10 years. You cannot get one for just one year, Ryan. There is no such thing as a "home-owners visa" and owning a home in Florida or anywhere else in America doesn't qualify you for any type of visa at all.

Majority of UK nationals, who own homes in Florida, use the Visa Waiver scheme to get to the US, unless they are lucky enough to be able to stay for more than 90 days in any one trip or go backwards and forwards to the USA a lot each year.

Carla
06-02-2004, 04:38
When we applied for ours last October, we weren't asked how long we wanted it for. In fact there was nowhere on the form where you could specify a time period for the Visa.

florida4sun
06-02-2004, 04:57
There is no stipulation with any visa on the amount of time they give, it is at the embassy discretion. For instance I know few people with E2 visas and they are valid for 1 - 3 or 5 years. Typical embassey inconsistancy.

When we applied for ours last October, we weren't asked how long we wanted it for. In fact there was nowhere on the form where you could specify a time period for the Visa.

esprit
06-02-2004, 06:29
The embassy started giving out E2 visas for 5 years, then switched to 2 years two or three years ago. Now they seem to be back to 5. My friend got her visa in March 2003 and was given two years, I got mine in May and got five. I thought this was because I had a lot of employees, but all the people I knwo who have got them since. including one with only one employee, has got 5 years. So one assumes that policy or personnel changed in the appropriate visa department in London between March and May. A one year E2 must have had a very marginal business. That really is no time at all to settle in.