PDA

View Full Version : one for the owners i suppose

LiesaAnna
24-05-2006, 11:25
IKEA opening in Orlando

some may like there furniture? (i dont) but thought it maybe interesting for some?[msnwink]

IKEA, known for its hip and affordable furniture, announced this morning that it is opening a store in Orlando. It is expected to open in fall 2007. Construction should start this summer, and the store will employ 400 workers.

The 310,000-square-foot store will be built on a 22-acre site on the southeast side of Mall at Millenia, at Conroy Road and Eastgate Drive, according to the company. In February, the Swedish furniture giant announced it was building its first store in the state in South Florida. That store is expected to open by summer 2007.

The Swedish retailer, which was founded in 1943, is just beginning a push into the Southeast. It has 235 stores worldwide, with 27 in the United States. The company said it plans to add three to five U.S. stores a year.

Retail analyst Kurt Barnard said IKEA has proved particularly attractive with young shoppers seeking high-quality, inexpensive furniture.

'At IKEA, you can get a good quality of furniture without going broke,' Barnard said. 'Design, quality and presentation are what set IKEA apart.'

IKEA's product line contains nearly 10,000 items. The Orlando store will feature three model homes, 50 room settings, a supervised children's play area and a 300-seat restaurant that serves such Swedish specialties as meatballs with lingonberries, and salmon patties.

David Iemolo, IKEA real estate manager, said the company said demographics, rapid growth and Orlando's central location on the Florida peninsula made it an attractive choice. He said the company had scouted the area for more than four years.

'Having an IKEA store at the Mall at Millenia is a perfect fit,' Iemolo said. 'IKEA is thrilled to be bringing shopping, jobs and Swedishness to Orlando.'

MarkJan
24-05-2006, 11:34
Like most stores, they will have some things you like/want and others you don't.

chrisflowers
24-05-2006, 12:06
Difficult to see how they would fit in Millenia. They would need to take over half the Mall!
Perhaps they will have a showroom only and do FREE home delivery

Ray&Sarah
24-05-2006, 12:32
Looks like we will need to "chuck out our chintz" in Florida too.[msnwink]:D

Thanks for the info Liesa.[msnsmile2]

kokomo
24-05-2006, 12:41
Thats good news Liesa.

lorraine51
24-05-2006, 13:20
Can't wait to visit Ikea we love the place although it will be interesting to know how big its gonna be!

chrizzy100
24-05-2006, 17:14
I was hoping for one to open near us in MA....the kitchens are very well priced....

24-05-2006, 17:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Looks like we will need to "chuck out our chintz" in Florida too.[msnwink]:D[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Thats good news Sarah[msnwink]

ShirleyD
24-05-2006, 18:58
I can't wait [msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
24-05-2006, 19:00
I quite like an IKEA, especially for childrens room ideas and such. Surprised it will be hitting Florida in a way, but like all things in life, it is always nice to have more choice:)
Thanks for info Liesa[msnwink]

russell148
24-05-2006, 21:03
Cant wait one of favorite u.k shops

Russell

heathercobbett
26-05-2006, 13:53
Yes Leisa,great for owners since you can always replace glasses,china etc without having to buy whole new matching sets

Also.English Ikeas are more expensive than anywhere else in the world,I believe,so with the great exchange rates I can see some of our guests shopping there too!