PDA

View Full Version : Historic Downtown Kissimmee - waterfront

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-07-2003, 03:10
This is a wonderful setting on the banks of Lake Toho. It is HISTORIC DOWNTOWN KISSIMMEE and is located right off the 192 as you head to St Cloud, at the Hisoric Downtown Kissimmee arch. We went just befor Easter and our children spent ages in the water park. Jets of water in an arena where loads of children play.(Not sure it is open all year, will try to find out) There is a place to buy icecream (owned and run by ex-pats, I understand). You can also walk along the waterfront. When we were there a young bride and groom and their guests came over from the Wedding Chapel for photo's. We congratulated them and our daughter (then 2 years) thought the bride was another Disney princess. (The bride was thrilled at this:)

You could take a picnic, there may be a vollyball match to watch.

For the children there is an adventure style park, with rope bridges and a rip line. For the very young there are swings etc.

A great few hours for free.

Sarah

orlandobabe
21-07-2003, 03:36
You just beat me to it Sarah-and if you want a nice lunch or a snack-Susan's Courtside Cafe-just up from the park and beside the Unicorn Inn is well recommended.

It's just about opposite The Courthouse and the food is beautifully presented and you get a warm welcome.

blott
21-07-2003, 14:57
And, while you're there, don't forget a stroll along Kissimmee main street with its interesting antique and local shops, etc and Joanie's Diner.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
04-01-2004, 13:42
When we visited the waterfront this vacation December 2003, the water park was closed. It must only be operational in the warmer weather!!! We still had ice cream although it was not the hottest of days. The children played on the climbing frames and swings and had a good time. A number of families were using the barbeque facilities and some had birthday balloons tied to the benches.

Sarah

CarolAnn
09-09-2004, 19:46
Wow!!! Another addition to my MUST do list:)

Chloe
10-09-2004, 02:33
We always go there aswell, my husband sometimes fishes. I do think this year though ( July/Aug.) there were a huge amount of reeds where there should have been water. I wonder if they will die, or if they will somehow be got rid of it. The area I mean is a bit prior to the above mentioned. Chloe

orlandobabe
03-10-2005, 05:35
This lovely area is now under threat. Apparently it is to be pulled down to make way for restaurants and condos. The locals are up in arms-but no-one is listening.

Just got back from there today and there must have been 300+ people there.

It may help to wrte a letter to Osceola county.

KJH
03-10-2005, 12:26
If you find any info, perhaps we could all send a letter of protest across.

Kaz

steph_goodrum
03-10-2005, 13:48
We visited this time a couple of weeks ago and although the ice cream place etc was closed could see it would be a great place for families with young children to spend a cheap afternoon out with pleanty to occupy them.

sundowner
03-10-2005, 14:38
Do we really need more condo's. villas and the likes. Pretty soon there will be no beauty spots to visit.

I will sign any petition or letter too if it would help.

blott
03-10-2005, 16:11
Julie Recker (appropriate name!) appears to be the Parks & Recreation Department Director on jrec@osceola.org

Karen
03-10-2005, 20:37
Thanks Blott, I have just sent Julie an email [msnsmile2]

We love this area and often recommeded it to guests. Maybe the condos are to go where the factories are at the moment. Lest hope so.

Chloe
03-10-2005, 21:43
We always go there, sometimes my husband fishes, and I will sit and read, it is very relaxing. I feel for the residents, the prospects of all this development and what it could bring with it must be upsetting to say the least. Chloe

sundowner
04-10-2005, 12:03
Thanks Blott, will send an a-mail too. Karen, what did you put in yours? and if she send a reply would you let us know please. Thanks in advance.

sundowner
04-10-2005, 20:09
Found this article today at aroundosceola If this is talking about the same waterfront it may not be too bad.

City to move forward on lakefront plan Print E-mail
29 Sep 2005
By Brian McBride News-Gazette Staff Writer

The Kissimmee City Commission at a workshop Tuesday agreed to move forward with a proposed lakefront redevelopment plan but only before vowing to set strict project limits.

It was the first time the commission discussed the plan since a Sept. 8 meeting where FaulknerUSA of Austin, Texas, and local developer Bob Snow sat through a public backlash over their design of the lakefront’s overhaul. Snow, who was the developer of the former Church Street Station, and FaulknerUSA had been project competitors before joining forces to propose a project called Kissimmee Landing.

The City Commission agreed to vote on a plan Oct. 18, to set strict plan limits and to move forward slowly once a plan is adopted. There was no venue for the public to speak at the Tuesday workshop.

“I think if we go forward we have to go forward very cautiously,” said City Commissioner Jerry Gemskie. “If we eliminate too much of the park, we can’t go back.”

Preliminary development plans called for two restaurants, a community pavilion, a four-story [edited out - this is a family forums]inium/hotel and a promenade along the Lake Tohopekaliga lakefront. Moreover, there was talk of turning the former Roy Hansel power plant on Ruby Avenue into either a brew pub or urban grocery and adding more green space and park amenities than either both firms presented before.

Commissioners made it very clear that they would shape future plans.

“I want them to listen to what we say we want,” said Commissioner Jeanne VanMeter, referring to developers. “I don’t want a fight.”

And any plan would reflect the voice of residents, said Commissioner Scott Brooks.

“It’s not your plan, it’s not our plan, it’s the people’s plan,” he said.

But Tom Franklin, president of Franklin, Hart & Reid, a Kissimmee civil engineering firm on the development team, said the project had to be beneficial for both sides.

“At some point if it doesn’t make economic sense to either one of us, we call a halt to it,” Franklin said.

There were some features commissioners found appealing. VanMeter said she liked the proposed child’s park, a seafood restaurant and a promenade. And planned residential units downtown were necessary to support the economic enhancements, said Mayor Linda Goodwin-Nichols.

While only two firms initially pitched projects, Gemskie said other developers should be solicited. But his fellow commissioners disagreed.

“They have done their homework,” said Goodwin-Nichols, referring to developers.

The plan is part of the Kissimmee Community Redevelopment Agency’s drive to increase the number of downtown residences and to establish a better connection between the lakefront and Broadway.

The commission also had the option Tuesday of sending the plan back to the CRA for an updated recommendation or rejecting the development team altogether.

Snow said he found the commission’s decision en-couraging.

“I think that everybody wants to see something that is going to be good for the legacy of Kissimmee and the park,” he said.

Karen
05-10-2005, 01:52
Sundowner, I asked Julie to please let me know what the plans were for the Kissimmee Lakefront Park? I have not had a reply yet, but will post when I do. Well done for finding this other info out. So long as they don't build on the park area it might not be so bad.

The childrens playground is especially good as it has a canopy over it which protects children (and parents!) from the sun. It is a pity not more play areas in Florida have this feature.

Lynne S
19-10-2005, 18:24
That's great news, we must find time to visit this area:)

ravtino
14-08-2008, 05:38
We spent time here today, had a great time, ice - cream and went to see the NY train come in:D

Lynne S
14-08-2008, 13:34
We have been to the Lakefront park and water fountains a few times over the last couple of years; it's a nice change.
There have always been lots of families having parties and BBQ's at the picnic area especially at the weekend; there is plenty of shade under the trees to sit and set up the BBQ.
Even the play area has a shade over it so the little ones are safe from the strong sunshine.

SDJ
14-08-2008, 14:41
Love the name Blott!!! Had a chuckle when I read that.[msnwink]

Sandra

orlandodaze
13-09-2008, 03:03
Some thing we plan to do each visit but never get around to it . Maybe in October we will. I like the historical idea , like what was life like in the Pre Disney days.