PDA

View Full Version : Old Town - Saturday Night Cruise

Gillian-B
21-07-2003, 02:48
One of the best nights out in the area (we think) is the Saturday Night Cruise at Old Town.

For anyone who hasn't been, it's basically where lots of classic American cars cruise down the 'strip' nose to tail and most of them are in amazing condition! If you're really into cars, you can wander round them before the cruise and have a chat to the owners - they usually love talking about their pride and joy.

Even if you don't like cars, the atmosphere in Old Town on a Saturday night is fantastic - especially if you sit in the open bar (I can't remember it's name) watching the world go by (and people being silly on the bucking bronco opposite!!!).

A great night out.

jpeachornby
21-07-2003, 16:25
We are hoping to go to this on Saturday when we arrive. Thanks for the comments.

sunshine state
05-09-2003, 19:21
Yes the old town cruise is great every time we come out to Florida we go to see this at least once it attracts many people and is a great evening out.

sunshine state

Andy & Arlene
05-09-2003, 22:25
Do you go through the big 'gate' type archway that says Old Town Kissimmee off the 192 to get to see the cars. I've never ventured down that way before!

Maureen Edwards
05-09-2003, 22:32
Arlene,
No, it's behind the big old ferris wheel on the 192,(the old type fairground wheel)not far past Disney turn on the 192.I think that place you described is Downtown Kissimmee, not Old Town.

However, I have been on Downtown Kissimmee website and it looks quite quaint, I believe they have spent alot of money renovating the area.

Andy & Arlene
06-09-2003, 02:21
Thanks Maureen. I have been there before, but didn't realise that was where the cars paraded. ;)

dhussey2
27-09-2003, 19:32
It's funny you should bring up the mechanical bucking bronco ...

Since we grew up on a farm and rode horses all our lives, my sister thought she could do that bucking bronco at Old Town. It was hilarious. A crowd soon came around to watch. She wasn't on very long and she wanted to quit! :D

The lady running the bucking bronco kept teasing her, saying, "You don't want to quit, do you Sue? Oh, come on." Sue said she was getting ready to jump off! I couldn't stop laughing.

I agree, Old Town is great. They have lots of old shops that have unique items. The kids love doing the skycoaster and slingshot. Hubby and I love sitting in the open bar and watching people go by. They even have different entertainers that set up and perform for free. If you like them, you can give a donation.

I would encourage anyone to check out Old Town. It's cheap, fun, and a great place to get away from the hectic pace.

Dianne[:p]

sunshine state
27-09-2003, 23:03
Yes i think Old Town is a great place to visit in the evenings when i come out to Florida i always go to the Saturday night cruise its great and you get to see some really nice cars.

blaze1221
10-01-2004, 01:40
Yea the cruise is great, i first went to it back in 98, and i moved out here about 6 months ago, im right down the road from it, i go pretty much every week it never gets old ~peace

blott
10-01-2004, 07:27
Just been to the Friday night one - smaller and newer cars but interesting still the same.

Anyone been to that amazing pin store that sells every pin practically known to mankind?

Ruth
10-01-2004, 15:07
My children love the rides at old town and the wristband is a good investment if you are going to be there for a while. They usually spend all evening rotating round the rides, while my husband drools over the cars. Then everyone in the family is happy, even me, as I am happy when everybody else is happy;)

Nostromo
11-02-2004, 15:46
I cannibalised my carefully planned itinerary several times and finally managed to fit in a Saturday evening in Old Town! We plan to arrive by 5pm and stay until it closes, doing the rides, shows, shops etc.

tinkerbell
11-02-2004, 16:17
You'll be very pleased you did that! Once you've done that night, you'll understand why everyone kept saying afternoons were not so hot!

Amirah
11-02-2004, 19:18
What's the address? I've never heard of this. Is there a site I can read about this?

Nostromo
11-02-2004, 20:38
quote:Originally posted by Amirah

What's the address? I've never heard of this. Is there a site I can read about this?

I think it is www.old-town.com. But if this is wrong, simply go to Google and type in 'Old Town Kissimee' and it willbe the first link you'll get.

Amirah
11-02-2004, 20:50
Thank you Nostromo...the link worked.

disney dreamin
12-02-2004, 16:32
A couple of years ago there was a similar event on a sunday (either the first or second Sunday of each month) but instead of cars this was for bike fanatics. I have never seen so many bikes in my life!!!

If you are watching the cars cruise past with children bear in mind that when they sit in pushchairs at the edge of the pavement waving to the drivers they are at the same height as the exhaust fumes and having sat next to my daughter it wasn't pleasant!

Old Town also celebrate other events - for example if you are there over halloween all the children dress up and trick or treat around the shops. Our little one came in very handy - we had a stash of sweeties for days!!!

Ray&Sarah
23-02-2004, 01:53
What time is the parade, we went whilst there in August 2003, but the parade never got going, we walked around the cars. But left, as it began to rain!

george
23-02-2004, 02:14
When I was there in November it got going just after 8 and lasted for 45 minuites. There is a Bike night as well which I think is on Thursdays.

george
04-07-2004, 21:49
Went again last week and took my mother. It war great. a good family night out.

Nostromo
04-07-2004, 22:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george
Went again last week and took my mother. It war great. a good family night out.
[/quote]

Did you do the BIG rides? Sky Coaster or The Slingshot?

george
04-07-2004, 23:37
No way [msnscared][msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
05-09-2004, 21:09
We've been to the saturday cruise night, it was great, we went through to the live bands playing and lots of people were line dancing, my little girl who was only 7 at the time watched for a few moments then ran off and joined in!!! she has never done this before and she loved it so much, i have got a photo of her dancing which i will get my son to post in the photo gallery later, the cars were in tiptop condition, it was lovely we are going there again in december and want to see the bikes as well this time its a great place to go to!!!!:)

LiesaAnna
09-09-2004, 18:22
Has anyone seen the bike show?? i cant wait its a lovely evening out for next to nothing, am i sad!!!!!!?
Liesa

lindajo
10-09-2004, 02:54
Liesa

Thursday night is Bike Nite! Mainly Harleys but a fair cross section of bikes and bikers. Great atmosphere - never any trouble.
Lindajo

LiesaAnna
10-09-2004, 03:12
Hey Lindajo
thats great, hubby had his harley for 2 years before changing his pride and joy to a suzuki bandit, we shall really look forward to that, it would be nice if anyones got any pics to show!!!
thanx:)
Liesa

bennetts
31-05-2005, 00:57
Do they still do the Saturday night parade, if so what time does it start and will it be on in December 2005?

Thanks

[msnsmile2]

wilfy
31-05-2005, 01:51
Yup, every saturday, see http://www.old-town.com/ for more details.

george
31-05-2005, 02:54
Thursday Bikes
Friday 70's cars/hot rods
Saturday the Classic car parade
Not to be missed !!!!

kokomo
31-05-2005, 11:16
We are going to see the saturday night classic car parade when we are out in August, can't wait.[msnsmile2]

Tracey K
01-06-2005, 17:07
If anyone is out in Orlando next Saturday (5th June) it is the 15th anniversary of the Saturday Nite cruise. They are expecting 800 classic cars.... The cruise normally sets off around 8.30 but they have lots of other entertainment planned too

canarypam
01-06-2005, 17:36
Damn we are out the Saturday after :(

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by disneydreamin
If anyone is out in Orlando next Saturday (5th June) it is the 15th anniversary of the Saturday Nite cruise. They are expecting 800 classic cars.... The cruise normally sets off around 8.30 but they have lots of other entertainment planned too
[/quote]

dawn
09-06-2005, 14:18
Sound like this is definately one for our list too - it will be nice to go somewhere in the evening, have a walk round and sit outside with a drink:D

pieman790
09-06-2005, 14:43
We did it 2 weeks ago and it started around 7.30-8.00pm. The parade last almost an hour but there was a lot going on down there. They had live bands and music as well as the fun fair for the kids. Free parking just to the side of the big wheel. We all enjoyed the night out and will be doing it again next time we are out

Florida3883
09-06-2005, 19:00
I'm really looking forward to doing this next time in Fl.[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
09-06-2005, 20:09
We did it last weekend, took Mr CDV down as he did not know it exsisted. Kept him happy for about 10 minutes[^]

LiesaAnna
09-06-2005, 23:44
10 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its a great night!!! but then we are very easily pleased!!!!if you like cars and motorbikes its great fun!!!

Aiminghigh
10-06-2005, 09:02
We went for the first time in March as we have a car mad teenager. I wasn't looking forward to it, but we all had a good time. Once again, it felt like we'd discovered something else new to enjoy in Florida! The atmosphere was vibrant, with lots of people having a great time. One of my daughters was so enthralled that she took video of the whole thing. Only when we returned did we realise she'd filmed it all SIDEWAYS[msnscared]

LiesaAnna
10-06-2005, 11:23
oh well another reason to go back!!!!!!!
its something that is so cheap to do so if your running low on your dollars theres something to do for free or cheapy!!

Florida3883
10-06-2005, 12:53
Sideways??? Well just another excuse to go back and video it the correct way[msnwink]

ballantrae
10-07-2005, 23:23
I can't say that I have ever enjoyed Saturday night at Kissimee Old Town. It seems dated and tired to me.

LiesaAnna
10-07-2005, 23:36
there is always gonna be someone who doesnt like the same as others, but thats ok too, each to our own!![msnwink][msnwink]

farawayfan
18-12-2005, 23:03
What time in the summer months does this kick off?

thanks
Jackie

LiesaAnna
18-12-2005, 23:18
i think its all year round, we have been twice in December and once in sept/oct and seen it everytime, but i could be wrong! its great to watch!!!!!!

farawayfan
18-12-2005, 23:39
Any idea what time it starts?

LiesaAnna
18-12-2005, 23:49
about 8pm i think, but the cars are there all evening for you to look at, and the music i think with the live band is about 7.30pm, its a great evening and it gets packed!!!
wish i was there now!!!
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_18504.asp
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_21806.asp

farawayfan
19-12-2005, 00:10
Thanks Liesa

keith_jacqui
19-12-2005, 10:56
The cars are usually there in the afternoons on Saturdays and the parade starts around 8.30. The live band is on till 11.00 with another act starting next to the bar when they finish till 1am.

djdigitald
27-02-2006, 01:15
Did the Thursday night Bike fest on 16th Feb as we hadn't done this before and i have to say it was great. Even the newer bikes had been modded to the max, Imagine a Ducati 916 lowered to the max and stretched by about a foot! Nice :D

LiesaAnna
27-02-2006, 02:00
did you get any pics of the bike? got Steve all interested now![msnwink]

djdigitald
27-02-2006, 14:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
did you get any pics of the bike? got Steve all interested now![msnwink]
[/quote]

Will have a look, have quite a few pics to go through! :D

Jackie38
16-03-2006, 01:35
We missed the cars when we were there in October but we did manage to get down for the bike night. OMG it was brilliant. Me and hubby did the skycoaster with my 9 year old son.....JESUS!!!! lol. Slingshot was excellent to. we got dvd's from both of them. When we got home the one on the skycoaster wasnt us. We contacted him by email and was sent the one of us within a week!!!

Cant wait to go back!!!!!

Jackie x