PDA

View Full Version : places to go

gerry67
17-05-2006, 23:15
sorry for being a pain i have lost my list i was keeping of the restaurants and places i wanted to go to, if i write some i remember can people tell me how far from rotonda west they are.

johnny laverocks(cape haze)
south beach restaurant(boca grande)
rum bay
loose caboose cafe
don pedro island
tiffanys
lickety split cafe
mad sams
and my kids are desperate to see dolphins not sure about the alligators though where can i see dolphins.
I expect villa im staying in might have info on most places but trying to plan ahead.

Mo Green
18-05-2006, 03:01
Hi Gerry
Yes you will find a list of addresses for all these restaurants in the handbook in our villa.
Tiffanys and Lickety Split (try the sweet potato fries) are both in Tiffany Square about 10 minutes drive. Johnny Leverocks is about 10-15 minutes away and the water taxi for Rum Bay restaurant is just behind it. The Loose Caboose and South Beach restaurant are about 20 minutes drive.
Unfortunately you are too late for Mad Sams. It was one of our favourites but pulled down at the end of last year to be replaced by some new condos.
If you take the water taxi to Rum Bay you may be accompanied by Dolphins especially if you return about sunset. We always seem to see them from Stump Pass Beach about sunset but several local marinas have Dolphin spotting trips.
The children should also be able to spot Iguanas near South Beach restaurant and there is often a Manatee which comes up close to the beach there.
As you drive around Rotonda you may be lucky enough to spot gopher tortoises, armadillos and raccoons.

gerry67
18-05-2006, 03:30
cheers maureen thanks for that im a bit worried about the alligator i hope its had its dinner before we get there.i told the kids about they nearly fell off the chair.we are so looking forward to it thanks again for the info.

Mo Green
18-05-2006, 23:19
Hi Gerry
It pays to be cautious near all water in Florida but in general if you leave them alone Alligators will not bother you. In 5 years of visiting Rotonda we have only seen Alligators a couple of times and they were small ones. My son has been to our villa 3 times and still not seen one. Fortunately the bank of the canal behind our villa is steeper than some so Alligators can not climb out onto the lawn and sunbathe.

gerry67
19-05-2006, 00:12
thanks for the reassurance maureen im not to bothered they are only attacking women thank god my wife will be there ha ha.counting down the days now