PDA

View Full Version : Christmas 2003 help please!!!!

tinkerbell
19-07-2003, 19:58
We are a party of 6 (could end up being 8 though!) looking for ideas on what to do for a few things over the Christmas period, any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

1. Christmas Day?? Will not be going to any of the WDW parks as they are far too cramped for our liking!

2. Christmas Dinner?? AK Lodge may be a possibility any feedback??

3. New Years Eve??? Youngest in party will be 12, so must be family friendly!

We are trying to plan the xmas to remember, so we really would appreciate any help at all!!!

Thanks in anticipation!

fiona
19-07-2003, 22:44
1 & 2. Lunch at the Renaissance buffet or Gaylord Palms, perhaps go to the cinema late evening as new films are out that day
3. MGM is great fun for all ages and they really have a party, need to get there reasonably early, not as bad as MK

Shardeblil
20-07-2003, 17:43
Do you have to pre-book for a Christmas Lunch at one of the above places?

If yes, any idea how far in advance?

Ruth
20-07-2003, 18:45
Are these suitable for a Christmas lunch with young children in tow or are they too formal? If so any suggestions for good food with with a more casual atomosphere?

tinkerbell
20-07-2003, 23:44
Thanks Fiona,

I've read a lot of positive reports on the renaissance, is it quite special for xmas?? I went to TGI fridays last time we were there on xmas day and it was great as always, but nothing spectacular for xmas day as we were hoping. We also went to Sea World on xmas day and I have to say again, it felt just like any other day and I was a little disappointed. As I said before, I definitely do not plan to go into any of th WDW parks, but I'd really like to make it a day that all of us will remember.

Do you happen to know of any links for the web that I could follow for the Gaylord Palms or Rennaisance?? Yes, I know I have spelt it twice differently, but I'm hoping that means one of the variations is correct?!

Thanks again!!

Anyone else any views on this?? Saw loads of posts regarding these kind of questions when I wasn't looking for them but now I need them, I can't find them anywhere!!!

Andy & Arlene
21-07-2003, 00:40
You're right Tink. Xmas lunches have been discussed before. If I remember correctly there were a few ideas on it. I'll try to find the link and post it for you. Bear with me. ;)

MTP
21-07-2003, 02:29
Hi Tinkerbell,

One suggestion about Christmas Day would be to go to Epcot for the Candlelight Processional. We did this last year and Epcot wasn't too busy, you could always book a dine and show preferred seating then you know you don't have to wait, could even just arrive for the dinner and the show and forget the rest of the park (we actually had our Christmas dinner of the turkey legs while we were waiting in the queue!! - Aileen isn't a big fan of the whole big Christmas meal thing). The Candlelight Processional is exceptionally lovely and Christmassy.

For New Year's Eve I would say it has to be MK. We managed to get in last year at 6 pm (not telling anyone how, as they were turning cars away from the car park). The atmosphere was amazing, especially as we had the kids and to know that there was no alcohol fuelling the atmosphere was quite something. Unfortunately we were rained out and had to leave at 10 pm, the rain didn't let up so it was the right call. We are going back this year and with my mother we will probably try to get in the park earlier. We are also going to try to get a preferred seating booking for our favourite MK restaurant, without it there is no hope of getting a table. I have the day and time set in my Pocket PC for phoning!!

The one advantage of the torential rain was that there was absolutely no wait for any of the rides, even the flying dumbos. We were soaked, had decided to call it a night and thought what was there to loose. Great fun.

Good luck and maybe see you there!

Best wishes,

Euan

Andy & Arlene
21-07-2003, 03:38
Try this link for xmas lunches. I'm pretty sure there's more. I'll have a hunt.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4032

tinkerbell
21-07-2003, 13:23
Thanks for that Arlene,

I have taken a look at that link, and I too am sure that I have seen much more on the topic before now! The Rennaissance is seeming pretty popular, although I'm still keen on trying to find out about the AK lodge etc,.

We are planning a trip to celebration for xmas eve to get us in the mood, and also the Osborne spectacular light thing at MGM, although I've heard a bit of a rumour that they may not be there this year?? Can anyone elaborate?

blott
21-07-2003, 14:12
Oh Tink, the rumour is correct - the Osborne Family Lights won't be at Disney MGM as the area is being refurbed for a new attraction although we understand that they'll be back again for Christmas 2004.

tinkerbell
21-07-2003, 14:32
Oh no [:0]:([?].
I can't believe that it's true! I was really hoping that I had heard wrong. That's such a shame, I think that MGM are making a big mistake there, they'll lose a lot of visitors over the xmas period if the lights are not going to be there.

At least I know now and won't be disappointed when I get there!

What a pity!

tinkerbell
21-07-2003, 14:51
Hi, again!!!!

Just thought I'd post this link as I found some more discussion on xmas in general chat!!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3166

athurstance
21-07-2003, 15:36
I think its a real shame there will be no Osborne lights this year. They are supposed to be back for 2004 though although it wasn't definite - I hope they are - we are probably going Xmas 2004 and I so enjoyed them last time I was really hoping to see them again.

Epcot is fantastic at Xmas. Each of the countries has its own Xmas thing - story or show (with Santa at the American Adventure).
We saw the Candlight Processional on Xmas Eve - I quite enjoyed it but in my opinion its not really worth all the hype. It is kind of like the 'Candles and Carols' they have in our local church - which is nice enough but the queues were amazing. We had the dinner package at Le Cellier so got in with no queue but I wouldn't wait for several hours to get in like some people were doing.

Andy & Arlene
21-07-2003, 16:31
Beat me to it Tink ;)

tinkerbell
21-07-2003, 17:08
[:I]

I trawled through pages and pages of past general chat for that one ;) !

I'm not really that enthused witht he idea of the candlelight processional, sorry to offend anyone here, but it's not really my kind of thing! I'm more into tacky over the top xmas celebrations! Oh dear you're all thinking!!!

Keep teh suggestions coming, I'm checking back here all the time now that I have 6 weeks off work!!!! The joys of working in a school!!!

MTP
22-07-2003, 01:01
If you need to find a Santa then the Mall of Millenia had a really nice looking set up. We went there after Dec 25th last year, so not sure what it was exactly like, but the setting looked really nice. You will enjoy Celebration, I think it was Christmas Eve that we were there. It was really nice, but had a good level of cheesyness. What with Snow on the hour, sleigh rides and a Christmas train. There were a group of carol singers at the end of the high street and it was really nice.

The thing about the Processional that we loved (apart from the fact that we usually love the whole church nativity type thing as well[:0]) is the fantastic orchestration of the music. If you can catch the slightly later show the lighting is more effective.

I would definitely pick up some lights for your house to join in with the community. They are heavily discounted coming up to Christmas, once a lot of people have already put up their displays.

Best wishes,

Euan

tinkerbell
22-07-2003, 13:16
I'm adding onto my budget to allow for holiday lights Euan!!! When we went at xmas in 1999 we were renting so couldn't really start pinning lights all over the house we were in without asking!! I'm really looking froward to going all out!

The Candleloght procaessional does sound nice, and I would like to see it, it's just that I'm looking for additional things that get us truly into the USA holiday spirit!!!

So the debate seems to be Universal/MGM for new year??? Do you have to buy special tickets for MGM as you do Universal?? $99 a head seems a little steep when we have a 12 year old in our party so will not be able to make full use of the City Walk facilities. A few years ago a friend of mine went to an amazing concert on NYE at Universal, he saw Boys 2 Men and a whole load of other excellent artists. I take it this has been s****ped too??

What about Pleasure Island??? I love the Adventurers club there, but not too sure if it may be a little too adult??

Can you sense the confusion?!

tinkerbell
22-07-2003, 13:19
Wow!! The censor is clever!!! Looking for swear words within words?! I didn't say anything bad honest!!! Is stopped a better word?!

blott
22-07-2003, 15:54
I think the zapper looks for strings of letters together so it doesn't make any distinctions between any words with particular letter strings in them and the letter strings alone! Don't worry, it's got a mind of it's own... ;)

tinkerbell
22-07-2003, 18:11
Thanks Blott! I felt really naughty!! [}:)]

MTP
23-07-2003, 01:43
Just thought that you would all like to see this reply from WDW about the Osborne Family Lights being cancelled (:():

quote:

Dear Euan,

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

At this time, Disney's MGM Studios is developing "Residential Street" as a new
stunt show attraction. As a result, the Osborne Spectacle of Lights will not be
presented this year. We are considering several other holiday enhancements for
Disney's MGM Studios and will share details as they become available.

While we realize that it is impossible to please everyone at all times with the
decisions that are made, it is always our goal to provide a quality "show" for
our Guests. Please know that we are exploring other options for presenting this
experience in the future.

For all out cheese how about the Dolly Parton show?

Best wishes,

Euan

tinkerbell
23-07-2003, 15:14
My dad has mentioned the Dolly parton thing!! I'd give it a go, but not sure if I'd gamble my xmas dinner on it!!!!

I can't believe we havn't ahd a single response from anyone who has eaten over xmas at one of the Disney resort hotels?!?!

tinkerbell
28-10-2003, 14:28
Hi all, just thought since it's getting closer to the time that people may have a few more ideas to add to the cooking pot now?!

I'm going to try to book the Boma Buffet at AK lodge today for our xmas day meal, it sounds wonderful, and yes, there are now 8 of us!!

I'm still wondering about xmas eve and NYE? I would love to hear any feedback from anybody's own experience so that I can make an informed decision! Univerasl for NYE???

esprit
29-10-2003, 07:13
Have been twice. Last year, it started to pur down about 8 pm and we never got to midnight so you are depoendant on the weather, They have live music in the streets ( bands and disco with dancing), street entertainers, free hats and blowers, fireworks at midnight ( good display the year before last, last year I think the rain scuppered them). We had no problem getting in about 2 pm in the afternoon last year. It was busy but not hugely so.

tinkerbell
30-10-2003, 22:54
Thanks Julie! I have now booked our xmas day meal, but unfortunately we could not get seated until 8pm at the Boma Buffet AK Lodge. A shame as it will be dark by then so half of the surroundings (the animals!) will be invisible!

MTP
31-10-2003, 02:03
We have booked for the Liberty Tree Tavern for night of 31st Dec. Can't wait.

tinkerbell
31-10-2003, 14:56
What is that Liberty Tree Tavern?? I've heard a lot about it. Is it supposed to be quite good for xmas dinner? I'm seriously considering cancelling my PS at AK Lodge if I can be happy with a better option!

I was really hoping to have eaten around 5pm ish, the same as we would back home for xmas. Any help greatly appreciated!!! I know you're all out there!!

MTP
01-11-2003, 03:07
The Liberty Tree Tavern is in MK. The have dinner character dining whith Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Chip and Dale. The food is served family style and we find it to be a relaxed place to have dinner, the theming is colonial(?).

They have a cancellation policy (I you get charged if you no-show and don't cancel with 48 hours notice) for the 31st, so I would presume they would for Xmas Day. From what I remember, one of the meats served is turkey so it may be a good choice. The down-side of the cancellation policy is that if the park reaches capacity and you are refused entry you will be charged for not showing, I have just received an e-mail from Disney confirming this. Their only solution was that if I didn't feel that we could get there early enough to enter the park (and after enter-ing, if we leave we will equally be refuesed re-entry at capacity) then we should cancel our PS[V].

So we are in a bit of a quandry as to what to do. We didn't really want to arrive before 4 or 5 pm, with the two youngsters we have, so that we could stay till after midnight. We managed to get in last year arriving at about that time, but had to be a little bit cunning.

I guess we will just take a chance. I suspect that it may depend on the CM at the gate when we arrive if it is closed to entry.

tinkerbell
01-11-2003, 15:09
Oh dear, what a pain. That's the problem with booking something inside one of the parks, you also end up having an expensive meal as you are using a day's entry into the park I guess?

So confused about what to do!! When there are 8 of you, it's important there's something to suit everyone too!

Good luck with your PS!

MTP
01-11-2003, 21:23
Thanks. The park entry cost isn't really an issue as we will have AP's (except for my Mum). I guess we willl just make sure we get in, even if we need to tunnel [msneek][msnsmile].

The atmosphere on Hogmany last year was fantastic, especially amazing considering it is a dry venue (or is this just a Scottish perspective of Hogmany[msntongue]).

We are hoping with my Mum along then there will be that little bit of help to keep everyone going, and I guess we would want to stay up till midnight anyway, so at least it will be easier to entertain the kids in the park.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-11-2003, 02:09
We've just booked our party of 9 in at Boma at the Animal Kingdon Lodge at 5:30 on Christmas Day - can't wait [msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

tinkerbell
26-11-2003, 21:27
Hi John, how on earth did you manage that??! I wanted an earlier seating, and was only offerd 8pm for our party of 7! Should I try to re-arrange?

fiona
26-11-2003, 22:12
We have booked the Gaylord Palms buffet for 2.00pm. Then we are off to the cinema for the late afternoon / early evening (this has become a tradition for us) and if there is still time, a quick whip into Universal for the gals to do a ride or two.