PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Cove

carole7007
12-02-2002, 03:48
This is well worth a visit.
We really enjoyed our day out here. It is quite expensive, a little less if you dont do the dolphin swim.
On the plus side you get a nice meal each and a weeks entry to Seaworld in your entrance price.
The numbers are limited so it does not get to crowded.

You have to book in advance of your vacation, it can be done on the internet.
You need to book well in advance for busy times like Easter etc

orlandobabe
12-02-2002, 17:48
We haven't tried this yet-but may well give it a go on our next visit. At least it should be warm-I would hate to pay all of that money out for a cold wet day-as even Florida can get.

The week's pass to Seaworld would be useful too!

Orlandobabe

markemma
16-02-2002, 16:07
We are thinking of going in April.

Emma

carole7007
16-02-2002, 20:57
Emma,

Just to advise if you are thinking of going in April 2002 then check availability as last time we looked that period was filling up as easter is in late March.

Carole & Keith

steph_goodrum
16-02-2002, 22:35
Our daughter (15) did the dolphin experience and Mick and I the rest (snorkelling etc). Although she enjoyed it she did question whether it was worth the extra £80 for approx 5 mins 1-2-1 with the dolphin, as in a group of 8 by the time each person has their individual time and a couple of group activities the time was up. You cannot just go into DC, though, without at least 1 in 3 people doing the dolphin experience, so if we go back again I'm sure she wouldn't take too much persuading to repeat the experience.

steph

Ruth
23-02-2002, 02:51
I have swum with dolphins in three different places in the Keys (yes I love dolphins!) and after this I did a session at Discovery Cove. It is always expensive wherever you can swim with them, but this experience was one of the best I have done. Your time in the water was limited but as a family day out, including fabulous food, it is worth the cost. I think it is probably best suited to children who will not want to go a long way out in deep water, and I can't wait until mine are all over 7 years old so I can justify the cost and go again!

www.golfvillasflorida.com

steph_goodrum
23-02-2002, 12:33
We all thoroughly enjoyed the day as a whole, as you say the food was fantastic and so well presented. Our only criticism was the lack of water fountains, the queues for drinks were horrendous most of the time and as it was so hot , we needed to keep drinking often but half the drinks were wasted as they got warm before we finished them.
Don't bother taking sunscreen with you when you go though as they supply special "animal friendly" stuff, so you can't use your own.
It was the first time any of us had snorkelled and we all enjoyed it.

Babblin Boo

ian
23-02-2002, 13:42
The 4 of us did Discovery Cove on Boxing Day - our 2 daughters did the Dolphin experience, and yes it was not cheap, but where do you get an experience like that cheaply. The official photographs of the girls kissing the Dolphins were really excellent and again well worth it. Of course talking about the cost, remember to visit Discovery Cove early on your holiday as you also get free access to Sea World for up to 7 days from your DC visit - you pay for the car park though, which I did think strange.
ian

steph_goodrum
23-02-2002, 16:19
Ian
The 7 day Sea World pass doesn't have to be after your experience, it can be before, it just means you have to go to DC earlier to pick up your passes, so you pick them up to 7 days before, or say 3 days and then have 3 days after, (I assume if you do it this way you lose the day at DC as it says 7 consecutive days.

Babblin Boo

carole7007
23-02-2002, 16:57
We all thoroughly enjoyed our day, and the close up experience was well worth the cost, to see Kimberley and Stephen so thrilled. Our photographs were great they took one of the two of them together with the Dolphin.

They must have been lucky there were only 4 in their group. So they did quite a lot with the dolphins. It was a bit scary for me to watch them riding onthe Dolphins back, they seemed to be moving so fast. They loved it.

Carole & Keith

steph_goodrum
23-02-2002, 22:37
We were lucky in that the dolphin Michelle had in her group (CJ) is the only one that will "beach itself" to have photos taken and they let us have a family one done even though only one had done the swim.

Babblin Boo

Ann
28-02-2002, 18:56
Hi just thought i would mention you are allowed to take a cam corder with you so if one of your party is not doing the swim they can video everyone else
they do provide this seivice but it is between 2 groups so what you get of yourselves is limited and you have to pay for it without seeing it
i thought this park was worth the money as my 2 children 7and 8 had a great time
my 7 year old loved the sting ray pool and was in there for about an hour

ann duncan

carole7007
09-03-2002, 01:06
Keith Prowse - Book before 31st March ticket valid up till December 31st.

Buy Discovery ticket with Dolphin swim £169
or Discovery ticket only £89

get 21 consecutive days admission to Sea World and Busch Gardens

Includes unlimited free transport to Busch if required.

Looks like quite a good offer

Carole & Keith

carole7007
12-03-2002, 12:52
When you arrive at Discovery Cove they take a group photograph.

Don't forget to go and pick it up, so many of our photographs have someone missing, this is a really nice photograph of all five of us.

It is included in your admission price.

The photographs taken whilst your swimming with the dolphins, are charged for as an extra, they have various packages from one photo to the full set.

Once again these were great, we purchased the medium package, yes it was quite expensive, but the memories they bring back evey time we look at them, are priceless.

Don't forget to take your video camera if you have one, you can video the dolphin experience.

A great day, we have booked the special offer above, for this year.

Carole & Keith

Edited by - carole7007 on 12/03/2002 08:53:24

Lesley S
21-05-2002, 17:51
I fancy doing Discovery cove someday, but was waiting until our little girl can swim properly first so that she would be able to do this with us. She is now 4 and swimming a little bit, so hopefully it won't be long before we can go..

Jamie-> and Lesley