PDA

View Full Version : Driving convictions

Kimmyp
13-05-2006, 16:44
We are going to Orlando next March and my husband has a few old driving offences on his licence which are 10 + years old and should be removed but he doesn't want to upgrade to a new style photo licence, will this matter for the car hire people or indeed for entry into the US? Thanks.

blott
13-05-2006, 18:54
They shouldn't do but it depends what they were for. If he's been arrested for a driving offence (like drink driving or a similar serious offence), then he probably needs a visa to visit the USA. If they're just speeding type of things for which he wasn't arrested and just got points on his licence, then he'll be fine.

You can use the non-photo driving licence for renting a car. As long as his licence allows him to drive in the UK, that's fine for the USA car rental people.

nreece
18-05-2006, 10:53
Why doesn't he want a photo style driving licence? Whilst they cost a bit of money to buy, you'll find them worth their weight in gold in the States. In a large number of places ie bars, shops when using credit card, to say nothing of car rental places, you need to be able to show photo id, the only thing Brits have is a passport, and you do not want to have to risk losing this by carrying it around everywhere. The new driving licence is accepted by everyone as proof, and because it looks similar to an American driving licence they have no problem recognising it (whereas the vast majority of Americans don't have a passport and therefore don't recognise one!). Therefore, I'd recommend getting a photo style driving licence!

andrewandcarole
18-05-2006, 11:08
Yes - I agree with Nigel - I'd get a photo licence. Have to confess I've only just got round to changing mine as I've not had any other reason to change it before. But - the main reason for doing so now is Florida as it is so handy to have ID. It's many years since my 21st birthday - but I'm often asked for ID when buying alcohol in Florida - and no I don't have the secret of eternal youth unfortunately - it's just the norm to check!

Carole

MarkJan
18-05-2006, 11:45
Surely he would be better getting a new photo licence as if he is pulled over by the police in either the UK or USA, he would now have a clean licence?

Kimmyp
18-05-2006, 11:47
Thanks everyone we have both decided to upgrade to a photo licence before we go!

trevlad
19-05-2006, 01:38
you dont have to give them back your old paper licence if its a keep sake and you mislaid it?? but its worth getting photo id tho

Kazzie
19-05-2006, 02:41
So can you just apply for the new license without surrendering the old style one then Trev? I still have the old style one and am a bit paranoid sending it off to change to new one just in case it gets lost and I have to do my driving test again. (I know the DVLA have your records but what if they lost your records too?) Told you I was paranoid[msnwink] Lol.

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
you dont have to give them back your old paper licence if its a keep sake and you mislaid it?? but its worth getting photo id tho
[/quote]

trevlad
19-05-2006, 04:20
karen what are you like!! i am sure if you look for your licence now you wont find it so best get a new one and hey if it turns up next week its a bonus[msnwink]

Kazzie
19-05-2006, 13:43
I see what you mean now[msnwink]

Karen

karen what are you like!! i am sure if you look for your licence now you wont find it so best get a new one and hey if it turns up next week its a bonus[msnwink]
[/quote]

ShirleyD
21-05-2006, 16:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kimmyp
Thanks everyone we have both decided to upgrade to a photo licence before we go!
[/quote]

Just make sure you allow plenty of time to get it before your trip, as with the passports, they can be fussy with the photos.

thornton
21-05-2006, 16:30
I keep meaning to get the new type of driving licences for us but just never get round to it, must get some new photos done.

Jill

Kimmyp
21-05-2006, 16:48
BTW do you need to get an International Drivers Permit to drive in the US as well?

ShirleyD
21-05-2006, 19:00
No you don't, not unless you are staying several months

trevlad
23-05-2006, 02:03
back in 88 we bought photo id international driving licences from the aa shop . the theory was that if we got caught speeding then we could give them up instead of our brit ones. dont know if that wouldve worked but in the event we didnt fall foul of the spped police??

blott
23-05-2006, 04:49
Most Florida car rental companies won't accept an International Driving Permit. Possibly because of Trev's well laid plan above!

florida4sun
23-05-2006, 12:18
Nope it does not work as you still have to carry your original license alongside it.

back in 88 we bought photo id international driving licences from the aa shop . the theory was that if we got caught speeding then we could give them up instead of our brit ones. dont know if that wouldve worked but in the event we didnt fall foul of the spped police??
[/quote]

amy
24-05-2006, 03:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MarkJan
Surely he would be better getting a new photo licence as if he is pulled over by the police in either the UK or USA, he would now have a clean licence?
[/quote]

He does have a clean licence, points are only valid for 3 years and stay on the licence for 4 years.

As for the the photo licence I would not waste my money, if the goverment want you to have them they will provided them to you FOC.

They do very little other use, as not many people carry the counterpart whilst in the UK so if stopped for speeding you still will have to attend at a police station with inside seven days with it.

When in the US the old style paper licence is fine to hire a vehicle and if you need photo ID well you have your passport if you have travelled from the UK so save your money there is no requirement to have a photocard DL