PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

Toria01
13-05-2006, 12:44
I have read the following statements and wondered if anybody could confirm that they are still relevant:
If you have an American Express Card in the UK you can transfer your credit rating to the USA if you move there
You should not travel to the USA while your visa application is being processed

many thanks

esprit
14-05-2006, 05:14
Answer to the first one is yes. having a UK Amex does help in establishing a rating in the US, got to be a long standing Amex though, we got one a few months before moving especially and it didnt do much for us.
Answer to the second is no, there is no problem at all travelling to the US while you have a visa application pending.

Toria01
14-05-2006, 15:38
Hi Esprit
Many thanks for the reply - very helpful
As we are in the very initial stages of looking at immigration we may still look into getting an Amex.
regards
Lynn

florida4sun
14-05-2006, 17:00
You would need years of credit history with Amex for it to be of any use.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Toria01
Hi Esprit
Many thanks for the reply - very helpful
As we are in the very initial stages of looking at immigration we may still look into getting an Amex.
regards
Lynn
[/quote]

esprit
14-05-2006, 18:57
Thats true or a premium Amex card, I know someone who arrived with a Black Amex, apparently that is very high end, and he got an unsecured credit card here almost immediately.

chrizzy100
14-05-2006, 19:26
We got MBNA to give us a card within days....they did a check with our English card.....they are not the same company....we still have our English MBNA cards...they are the only company that still send them over after 6 years....

florida4sun
14-05-2006, 21:22
Amex black is about the highest you can can get, if you qualify they send it via securicor. I was someone in florida who bought a boat with one, $35000 transaction went through without checking up at all.[msncool]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Thats true or a premium Amex card, I know someone who arrived with a Black Amex, apparently that is very high end, and he got an unsecured credit card here almost immediately.
[/quote]

chrizzy100
14-05-2006, 21:55
A lot of companies have invitation only cards....we throw a lot of the invitations away before knowing what they were....so we only have a Capital one invitation card right now....the interest is 1% after the first $1k which is always interest free....you get free Life Ins...upgrades cars..plane tickets...Car Ins...etc...you get no late payment fees...and no yearly fee...tons of other stuff I can't remember....

florida4sun
14-05-2006, 22:11
Yeah but the amex black is in a league of its own.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
A lot of companies have invitation only cards....we throw a lot of the invitations away before knowing what they were....so we only have a Capital one invitation card right now....the interest is 1% after the first $1k which is always interest free....you get free Life Ins...upgrades cars..plane tickets...Car Ins...etc...you get no late payment fees...and no yearly fee...tons of other stuff I can't remember....
[/quote]

chrizzy100
14-05-2006, 22:34
I would expect it to be at $2500 a year...but coming down to Earth..the normal invitation only cards are well worth trying to get...I can buy a new car or moterbike on ours...at 1% interest I call that a good deal...

florida4sun
14-05-2006, 23:00
The amex black costs nothing, no credit limit. These are given to the high rollers and number in the hundreds only. Amex is not a credit card is a charge card there is no interest. I was nt rying to comapre cards just pointing out exactly what an amex black card is. Discovery did a documentry all about the Amex Black, a real eye opener.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I would expect it to be at $2500 a year...but coming down to Earth..the normal invitation only cards are well worth trying to get...I can buy a new car or moterbike on ours...at 1% interest I call that a good deal...
[/quote]

andy and ann hales
15-05-2006, 01:00
With regard to traveling to the US during this time.

I have never known anyone to have a problem but I was told of a case by a nurse friend of mine who did have a problem. Immigration officer was not sure if she would go home after her trip. It was recommeded she had a letter from employer to say she was still employed and had to return to her job.

I guess I need to think along these line because we have planned a visit next month.

SDJ
15-05-2006, 02:58
Amex Black Card is GBP650 per annum. NatWest Black is GBP250 per annum with the same perks.

Sandra

florida4sun
15-05-2006, 12:37
Not the one I saw on the TV.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
Amex Black Card is GBP650 per annum. NatWest Black is GBP250 per annum with the same perks.

Sandra
[/quote]

blott
15-05-2006, 19:39
Nat West doesn't do anything for your credit rating though, to answer the original question.

florida4sun
15-05-2006, 20:28
true, the thread does seam to have gone off track sorry[msnembarrased]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Nat West doesn't do anything for your credit rating though, to answer the original question.
[/quote]

esprit
16-05-2006, 04:54
It certainly doesnt, I was with Natwest and had a credit card from them with a £10000 limit on it in my pocket when Bank of America, with whom I had banked as a homeowner for seven years, offered me a secured card with a $500 limit provided I secured the payments with $100 in a savings account!! Amex does help your rating but as stated it has to be either a much used and long standing account or an a premium Amex card.

andycoll
12-07-2006, 03:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ

Sandra
[/quote]

My boss has an Amex black and he tells me there are no charges and the credit limit is the net worth of you capital holdings i.e. if he has capital holdings of 50 million then that’s his credit limit.

And he also says they don’t give them out very often just to a select few

agod
12-07-2006, 05:51
Amex do all sorts of weird and wonderful cards, I have an Amex Platinum card, I have been a member since 1984, it says it on the card, I also have heard that it is worth holding into to it for the vey reason you mention, in case I move across the pond, so I pay £275 per year for it, and it is a complete waste of money, as very few retailers like taking it, because of the high charges, it has got the benifit of travel insurance, but so have many others, I am not sure what the bottom line is to aquire one nowadays though, it is buy invitation and they require payment of the debt pretty pronto too.

The amex black or its also known as the centurian, is generally for the extremely wealthy, pop stars and the like, still a charge card that has to be cleared on a monthly basis, also has a personal assistant.

The Nat West Black is better, it is a credit card, and comes with your own assistant as well, also which is handy, is memership to the Priority Lounge's at the airports around the world, also has travel insurance, and it requires income of £70.000 per year.

Alan

KJH
12-07-2006, 15:21
Good to know, I've had Amex for years and use it regularly in USA. Especially Costco.

Sniff
12-07-2006, 18:26
This is an interesting discussion (but slightly off-topic!). Here in Germany we have EC cards (equivalent of Switch in UK). There is no limit (other than what you might have in your account) and people frequently use their EC card to purchase new cars with no problem at all. Not exactly a black Amex, but some of the same benefits. Still has to be paid off in full at the end of the month though. :)

Conversely, the Germans hate owing money in any shape or form, and consequently credit cards are not popular here. Most of the shops in my small town (supermarkets, for example)don't even accept credit cards. I do have a credit card (a Mastercard) from my local bank, but even that balance has to be paid in full every month.

Interesting to see the different approaches to finance