PDA

View Full Version : travel agents changing my hotel

jaff
11-05-2006, 13:20
they phoned me today saying my hotel is closed the dates i'm arriving and they offered me a replacement but the replacement does not have the faclities i wanted from the other hotel but there is 1 hotel that has the facilities i want for my money but its a dearer hotel and i cant see the travel agents giving it to me.....well if they dont i'll jus cancel it...

am fuming.....

got me currency aswell and i'll be forced to seel back at a loss if i cancell....[msnmad]

mizzy
11-05-2006, 13:49
Hi Jaff

i think i would check this out if i were you

it's basically a breach of contract and they have a duty to you to provide you with what you have booked or if they cannot do so then they would have to compensate you accordingly by perhaps moving you to a better hotel if yours is not available

they should be offering you a similar hotel with all the same facilities to the one that you booked and you most certainly shouldn't have to pay more

if the only hotel with the same facilities costs more then that is not your problem

have a good look at your small print and this should all be in there somewhere

normally they would not let you choose the hotel that you would be moved too but that doesn't mean that you couldn't suggest it if it is a hotel they use as a tour operator

i would phone them and speak to someone in charge, be polite insistant and direct!!

before phoning it's a good idea to look at what they would charge you if you wanted to suddenly amend your booking[msnmad] because this is what basically they are planning to do

drop it into the conversation perhaps like this -

" i've noticed that in the booking contract you would charge me £XXX amount if i wanted to amend/ change my booking, whilst you on the other hand are attempting to do the same to my booking without any offer of recompense to myself"

" i would propose that you offer me a hotel of similar standard and with the same facilities to the one booked, if you cannot do so then i will have no alternative to cancel my booking with yourselves and expect a full monetry refund, if not you would leave me with no choice to persue this matter further with ABTA/ATOL"

like i said POLITE INSISTANT AND DIRECT!!!!

gets results everytime[msnwink]

GOOD LUCK

Mizzy

jaff
11-05-2006, 14:06
wow thank you so much i will look into my contract and check how much and i will say exactly what you have said.....

mizzy
11-05-2006, 14:22
oh i can be quite scary when i want to be Jaff!!

i think when they do this to people they expect most people to ignorantly think that they have no choice in taking whats offered, because lets face it your usually so distressed at the call in the first place and frightened that you'll lose your holiday so you either

A. get mad which get their backs up so there less likley to help OR

B. you take gratefully whats offered because you ignorantly presume you have no choice in the matter

good luck again and let us know how you get on

Mizzy

LiesaAnna
11-05-2006, 15:21
sorry to hear that Jaff, but some great advice from mizzy there! let us know how you get on?

alastair
11-05-2006, 16:42
You need to check the wording in the booking contract. It may well say that they will charge you £XXX amount if you wanted to amend/ change your booking, but it may also say that they can make amendments to your booking without breaching the contract. As always down to the old T's & C's.

orlandodaze
11-05-2006, 18:05
I would have thought when you chose a particular hotel the replacement should be similar and have the same facilities or perhaps you should even be upgraded .Mizzy gave you good advise there .Stand your ground Jaff, and when its all sorted have a great holiday.

Katys Grandad
11-05-2006, 19:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by alastair
You need to check the wording in the booking contract. It may well say that they will charge you £XXX amount if you wanted to amend/ change your booking, but it may also say that they can make amendments to your booking without breaching the contract. As always down to the old T's & C's.
[/quote]

Agree 100% Alastair - the company are very unlikely to have worded their contract to impose a duty upon themselves to provide 'better' or more expensive accomodation in such an event. To be fair, the non availability of the accomodation does seem to be beyond their control here.

Having said that, I also agree that one has to be persistent in these matters and keep at them!

Susan J
11-05-2006, 19:35
Thats the trouble with Hotels over there- they may not be doing well, so refurbish, or change chains etc -and of course the Travel Agent isn't interested.........Hopefully you will have learned your lesson now,Jaff, and will book your own home from this site next time :D
IF they will not offer a good alternative, then cancel the hotel, have a refund and get your own accom sorted out - have you though of pricing flights and accom to see how much you could save to have all details with you to ring?
Which Hotel have they cancelled? Which have they offered?
Good Luck!!

mizzy
11-05-2006, 19:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
[/quote]

Agree 100% Alastair - the company are very unlikely to have worded their contract to impose a duty upon themselves to provide 'better' or more expensive accomodation in such an event. To be fair, the non availability of the accomodation does seem to be beyond their control here.

Having said that, I also agree that one has to be persistent in these matters and keep at them!
[/quote]

i don't think for one minute the company will put anything into a contract in clear and precise english that will hold themselves liable but i do believe that they have a duty to offer what the customer has booked or a hotel of similar quality if the original hotel is unavailable
i also think that if they could change accomodation over at their own discretion then they would not be phoning the customer to tell them they were doing so

Mizzy

Katys Grandad
11-05-2006, 20:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
[/quote]

[/quote]

i don't think for one minute the company will put anything into a contract in clear and precise english that will hold themselves liable but i do believe that they have a duty to offer what the customer has booked or a hotel of similar quality if the original hotel is unavailable
i also think that if they could change accomodation over at their own discretion then they would not be phoning the customer to tell them they were doing so

Mizzy
[/quote]

But wouldn't you agree Mizzy that it doesn't matter what any of us 'think' about this? Ultimately it's the terms and conditions of the contract that matter.

I see your advice to persist with the company as valid and well intentioned but if the company's position is supported by the contract then they'll probably fall back onto it if they have to.

mizzy
11-05-2006, 21:51
yes at the end of the day i would agree that is is all down to whats contained in the T&C's

but i also think that if the tour operator had the power to change the accomodation within the terms of the contract then they would have just done this without informing the customer

hopefully Jaff will get it all sorted out, it must be terrible to have all this dropped on you at the last minute

Mizzy

jaff
12-05-2006, 02:51
it is! i phoned them today saying i dont want the hotel they offering and i want something to the same value that i'm paying for and they have asked me to pop in tomorow and see what else they can offer.She said but if its dearer i have to pay the difference...

know what i'll say to them if they say that???[laugh][grin]

orlandodaze
12-05-2006, 03:36
Good luck to you tomorrow ,remember we are all behind you, you cant lose!.

jaff
12-05-2006, 03:59
get this i can understand....

they are offering a hotel with less facilties for radom price of £3400

i can get a hotel with same facilties for £3100

and suites for £3200

???

ehhhhhh [msnscared]

jaff
12-05-2006, 04:29
tcd is giving me radison world gate at kissmee for £2485

wow

LiesaAnna
12-05-2006, 12:01
your still gonna be in florida and i wont![msncry]

Ray&Sarah
12-05-2006, 12:09
Hope you get it sorted Jaff.[msneek][msnsmile2]

jaff
12-05-2006, 13:08
tcd i have to book insurance seperate dont i?

i wana hit the travel agents i can prob get it cheaper with TCD

am all set and ready to go GUNS are loaded [msnwink]

Susan J
12-05-2006, 13:20
Give us the names of hotels offered first -we may be able to advise which not to take?

jaff
12-05-2006, 14:37
the one i lost was country hearth and inn

explorers at trvel lodge is what they offering

niki bird is what has same facilities

and days inn suites

TCD i can get radison main gate or lake beverly houses

dont get me wrong guys i would love to book a villa and seperate flights but i wont be able to get it at the price i'm paying for this holiday

3 adults 2 children

orlandodaze
12-05-2006, 22:49
Jaff where are you, we are all dying to know how you got on ?

jaff
13-05-2006, 01:51
sorry guys i dont normally sign in till later....Ok i went in guns at the ready and suprisingly they were very helpfull.no being funny they know what am like i had a wee run in wi them in the past...

and they gave a a apartment at no extra cost....[msncool][msnwink]

orlandodaze
13-05-2006, 23:42
Thats great Jaff,you know maybe you will have more room and be much happier in this apartment ,I do hope so.All you have to do now is go and have a wonderful holiday .

jaff
14-05-2006, 00:37
ye we been online checking it out and looks good...

i thank you all for your support..

mizzy
15-05-2006, 12:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jaff
sorry guys i dont normally sign in till later....Ok i went in guns at the ready and suprisingly they were very helpfull.no being funny they know what am like i had a wee run in wi them in the past...

and they gave a a apartment at no extra cost....[msncool][msnwink]
[/quote]

Great Result Jaff[clap][clap][clap]

Mizzy