PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast Xmas and New Year

Clare R
11-05-2006, 00:39
I have guests from Glasgow spending Christmas and New Year (Hogmonay) in Englewood with children of 7 and 9. Anybody any experience of what I can suggest to them?

Clare
http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1367.aspx

glasgowmary
11-05-2006, 02:45
hi claire we are from glasgow and have been to orlando lots but we have always missed christmas and hogmanay , but not this year !!! i know lots of glasweigians who love florida , we don' t have any one as young as your guests children but i think we' ll go to citywalk for hogmanay as we are universal people really, maybe they might want to watch the parades ?? if you come up with any good ideas i' mi n trested1! i heard the old town is good but i haven' t been maybe this year . i'm sure they ' ll have a ball whereever they go [msnsmile]

andrewmckay5
11-05-2006, 02:53
Clare,
here's the link to a list of activities from last Xmas in the Englewood area.
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_25552.asp

andrew

Mo Green
11-05-2006, 14:59
Hi Clare
I am sure the children will enjoy a drive round Rotonda area to see the decorated homes which just seem to get better and better each Christmas.

Andrew has plenty of suggestions on the link he has posted above but for something different for Christmas Day you could suggest lunch at Rum Bay restaurant on Palm Island. It is quite a novelty to go for Christmas lunch by boat but they will need to book in advance.

You could suggest going to see the Manatees north of the I75 at Fort Myers where dozens swim up river during the colder weather to warm themselves in the warm water coming from the power station. For the price of 75cents parking there is access to a river walk with observation platforms.

The Ford/Edison homes in Fort Myers are worth a visit at Christmas but we found it was best to go at 5pm when, for a fraction of the normal entry fee, you can watch the beautiful sunset over the bay, see the Christmas lights come on on the two houses and garden and still have time to visit the museums.