PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire - Cannot use Dollar/Almo

highland hagrid
08-05-2006, 01:50
Hi,

I require car hire picking up at Sandford Airport prior to staying in Orlando for a week then dropping off car at Cape Canaveral prior to going on cruise then picking up at Cape Canaveral and dropping off at Sandford Airport. Unfortunately neither Dollar or Almo have a depot at Cape Canaveral so I am unable to take advantage of the great offers from UScarhire. I will have to use Budget/Hert/Avis but am confused about the various insurances etc. All offer CDW and SLI. Do I require anything else?

Many thanks

David

ellie
08-05-2006, 03:45
I would not hire a car without UMP - Uninsured Motorist Protection - many drivers are not insured in the US so this offers you protection. Having had a daughter who lived and worked in the US, I can definitely recommend this.

If you look at what is covered by UScarhire there is a list of what they include - it is a good guide as to what you need. Whoever you book with, make sure that they offer the same package of insurances - this is one area where you definitely don't want to leave something important out - and if you should have any sort of incident whilst driving you will be very glad you were fully covered.

Hope you have a good trip and a lovely cruise!

steph_goodrum
08-05-2006, 12:21
David
The other option which may work is, have you checked with the cruise company if they have any local transfers from Orlando, I know often there are some available which may mean you can still use Dollar/Alamo and drop the car to a local point (maybe airport or 192 depot) and get the transfer from there?

thornton
08-05-2006, 12:59
How about hiring the car in Orlando and then leaving in the cruise company's compound while you are on the cruise and then picking it up when you return. This is what friend's of ours have done for a cruise from Fort Lauderdale.

Jill

ellie
08-05-2006, 23:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by thornton
How about hiring the car in Orlando and then leaving in the cruise company's compound while you are on the cruise and then picking it up when you return. This is what friend's of ours have done for a cruise from Fort Lauderdale.

Jill
[/quote]

This would be quite an expensive option as you would be paying for a car to sit in a compound for a week and also paying for parking - depends whether people want to pay for the convenience of leaving their car at the dockside. Mind you, it is ideal for Americans who want to leave their own cars.

The airport is only a short drive from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, which is where you can drop your car (Dollar). There is a free shuttle to the docks, or you can use one of the numerous taxis available.

With more and more ships sailing out of Port Canaveral and huge expansion plans for the docks I am sure it will only be a matter of time before more car hire companies start offering a drop off location.

However, you can get a 1-4 passenger car for $90 including 4 bags, or a 5-10 seater van for $110, or a Limo, for 4 Passengers for 1-10 passengers for $160 from Orlando International to Port Canaveral. You could pick up your car from Sanford and drop it off at Orlando International before your cruise, and pick up a taxi, but on the way back the problem would be that you would have to pick up a car at MCO to take you back to Sanford. Maybe they can organise for you to go direct to Sanford? Will DM you the site.