PDA

View Full Version : Is it all bad news

mastercraft
03-05-2006, 20:34
Hi, let me introduce us first of all. We are Graeme, Ann & callum. We are staying at our villa in Davenport and we are on a B2 visa. We love FL and we are contemplating going down the E2 route. I have been looking through the forum and understand all of the issues, frustrations that people face, education, kids not covered under E2 at 21, medical cover etc etc. Whilst facing up to these very real issues - is it all bad? Do people who have done this regretted it or on balance is it worth the pain? I have spent 30 years in banking in the UK and the thought of being my own boss, in the sunshine is very tempting. Look forward to some good discussions!

Carla
04-05-2006, 00:11
What business do you intend going into?

mastercraft
04-05-2006, 00:21
Hi, we are keeping an open mind - looking at a range at the moment and what will finally determine which one we go for will be: return on the investment (of course it will need to be right for the visa authorities) and other factors such as affordability of housing and good schooling

florida4sun
04-05-2006, 03:49
Nearly all E2 qualifying businesses are way over priced and usually turn out to be worth nowhere near what people pay for them, they are simply a way in (not all but most). We had nearly 5 years over there and had to leave due to health insurance problems.
We enjoyed our stay and do not regret it at all. If your healthy and have a good business, you will have a blast. If not, it will be pretty miserable and it goes downhill very quickly indeed. I would not consider retiring iover there full time, it simply is not affordable unless you guarantee no illness!!!
The only regret we have was not keeping a house in the UK. It was very hard getting back into the property market despite having a very good deposit. Your credit rating disapears once you are out of the country for 12 months.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mastercraft
Hi, we are keeping an open mind - looking at a range at the moment and what will finally determine which one we go for will be: return on the investment (of course it will need to be right for the visa authorities) and other factors such as affordability of housing and good schooling
[/quote]

esprit
04-05-2006, 04:37
Firstly it is very difficult to get E2 at the moment through the London embassy, huge processing delays and many people getting turned down. Much much harder than when I got my visa or when Florida4sun got his. You could apply for change of status to Texas as you already have B2, but still have to return to London for interview and visa stamp after approval. Or you do if you ever want to travel outside the US. Then E2 visas are usually currently only being granted for 2 years and can only be renewed in the UK. Huge processing delays again and yes people do get turned down and have to leave.

As Martin says people do come unstuck. My first business was no way worth the money and was problematic from day one. I was left with setting my own business up from scratch, something I could have done from day one had I been allowed to and saved myself a lot of cash and heartache. Businesses here often are not what you expect. On another forum I am on, someone just shut up shop and went back home having lost his business and with it his life savings in just seven months. Someone else lost half their business when employees ran off with the contracts. You do hear of this and you hear of people terribly homesick, even those who have spent extensive time in Florida and going home. And then you hear success stories as well.

A few points. 30 years in banking, so you are no spring chicken, neither am I. The healthcare and health insurance costs are crippling at any age and worse as you get older. If you have any ailment pre existing, it will be worse. You work twioe as hard here as you did in the UK and with far fewer holidays. The americans just dont take them and if you want to remain competitive and business here is hard and very competitive.... and who do you trust to mind your business and not run off with it??

It is not like being here on holiday not even in the slightest. You come here with 1.8 to the pound and feel rich, but when you earn in dollars you cant afford to do the things you used to do on holiday, and as for going home, well you are a pauper back in the UK with your money almost halved. The cost of living here is expensive, especially over the first two years when you are a non person with no credit rating. My first bill for insuring two cars was $4500. Dont even get me onto the subject of how much workers compensation insurance costs.

Would I do it again?. Hard question. The first eighteen months here were hard and a huge shock to the system even though I had been a villa owner for years. Now this is home and I cant even really remember the UK. So now we are established but we know we are getting older and there is no way you can retire on E2 as the visa is only valid as long as you keep trading the business. And we also know that with the drop in the exchange rate our net worth is less than it was when we came, making retirement in the UK really difficult. On the pro side, it has been an experience and life is about experience, we will never have to say "what if"! rather we can say " been there, done that". And I do think it is a fine place for children, most kids thrive here and do well in their school system and fall into the healthy clean living lifestyle, no hanging around street corners or getting drunk at 16. Most E2 kids love the lifestyle here and desperately want to stay, making the whole going home at 21 thing that much harder.

Robert5988
04-05-2006, 12:14
Great post Julie.

Kazzie
05-05-2006, 01:05
Julie and Martin,

I think it is really good of you to reply with such honesty. Some people do tend to think that its the same living in a country as it is holidaying there, which, in reality is obviously very different. The medical insurance is obviously one of the main things to think about, and even if you are healthy at present, nobody can predict what the future has in store.

I always thought that Americans had lots more leisure time than us Brits but I suppose it all depends how well off you are and your circumstances.

Karen

Tyreabusa
05-05-2006, 21:31
I hope that this post doesn't get people annoyed but this is only my experience. I often hear people say that they dont get much chance for vacation time, but in my personal opinion, working over here in Florida we get 52 holidays a year...... 1 each weekend. The outdoor lifestyle, when compared to England is magnificent. When working in England you cant wait for the school holidays so that you can get out of the country and get some sun. Look at any news report from Gatwick, Manchester or Heathrow airport at Easter time. The hoards of people wanting to get out is immense. We can go to the beach, or Busch Gardens, or even Disney if you have a spare wad of money !! How about Silver Springs ?? Get in an inner tube and just float down the river watching the wildlife go by. How many times in England could we have got our BBQ's out in a year ?? Or just laid outside on the patio after work and taken in the setting sun and enjoyed the warmth of the evening ?? Perhaps I have been tainted by working in London for 28 years, but please take these facts into consideration when thinking of coming out here. If you arent prepared to work harder than in England, and work longer hours than in England then you will get a surprise. But the benefits far outway the hard work and long hours. Believe me, seeing the cloudless blue sky and feeling that warmth every day is where its at !! Hurricanes....pah to them !! Make sure you dont live in a flood zone and get good insurance coverage. Please dont bombard me with PM's as remember, this is only my experience, and as Esprit pointed out to me, I have only been here 1 year !!!

Nick

mastercraft
06-05-2006, 04:09
Nick & Everyone else

Many thanks for taking the time to respond - really appreciate it! I guess there are many lessons that we can learn from people who have a lot more experience than we do!
We are certainly not afraid of hard work - we have both spent our lives putting in long hours for someone else and we just feel that we have been given an opportunity that we should try and if we fail then at least we have had a go and we wont for ever be saying - "if only...."
We are and will continue to take sound advice on the businesses that we are beginning to look at and this, amongst other things seems to be key! We also have what seem to be good people advising us on the visa side who are getting people approved in London and so we live in hope!

esprit
06-05-2006, 04:57
Are you using a London based visa consultant? There is one recommended by everyone who has a brilliant success rate. If you arnt using her ( it is a her) and are interested, dm me.

Tyreabusa
06-05-2006, 06:49
If you are over here in Davenport already then I can recommend a Visa Attorney in Tampa if you want. He did mine.

flyrr100
07-05-2006, 16:15
Hi
I've been reading the posts on here.
I've lived here since the mid 80s. Texas, Nevada, Ohio, and now Central Florida.
If you are relocating here from the UK, read all the posts here ten times over. Then read them again. These people know what they are talking about.
It's not like living in The United Kingdom. It's not like being on vacation.
Insurance will cripple you. I'm now a US Citizen and still pay high Florida Insurance rates. Think carefully about where you want to live. The Insurance Companies are cancelling home owner policies left and right. And most companies are increasing new policies by up to 300%. If you move here during hurricane season no company will write a new policy when a named hurricane is in exsistance!
My car insurance is over $2000 a year. And we are both in our 40s with clean driving records.
Dont even think about being here without Health Insurance.
Understand, Florida, as a State, is really backward. We lived in Ohio before here and are still amazed how redneck Florida really is. Most tourists only see International Drive, and the Disney parks. Go to Sanford, or further north to the Daytona area. Its a real southern state! By that I mean, the infastructure is shakey at best. Expect your power to go out at least once a month. If you have anyone comming over to fix an appliance, or service your cable, don't expect them to be even near on time. The only reliable thing is the mail!
I'm a part time licensed Real Estate Agent here. I can tell you that Orlando prices are through the roof! It's a buyers market for sure. Too many people are trying to cash in their equity and there's just not enough buyers out there. To give you an example, this time last year we had around 6000 listings in the Orange and Seminole County area. Right now, today, there are over 26000! Prices have started to drop, but they are still high.

There are posatives! Really! Having a pool in one's backyard is lovely. Bering able to drive to the beach in 30 minutes rules. There are opertunities everywhere. You just have to work hard. No three week vacations in the USA. You'll get a long weekend at best. But isn't that the Amereican Dream? Work hard and enjoy your rewards.
Oh, one more thing. Think about retirement. Here you won't get a state pension. It's up to you to save and invest.

As an American, I welcome anyone here who is willing and able to work hard and contribute to the life and culture that I've grown to love.
And we do get all the British soccer! Bright House channel 128.

chrizzy100
07-05-2006, 17:38
I would say to people think outside the box....I've just driven up the East coast from our place in FL...and coming back to New England is like coming home...FL is nice...I love my home there and my nighbours...but other parts of the USA knocks it into a tin hat...its a place to think about retiring too...a place to live when you have time to travel or have lived other places first...I would of hated to have missed out on the rest of the USA because I was working my butt off all the time in FL....and that is what most Brits do...

SDJ
07-05-2006, 19:14
Hi Graeme

You are doing what is necessary and researching evrything. You will go with your gut instinct when the time is right. The best of British Luck and hope whatever you decide, you will be happy, healthy and successful.

Sandra

Robert5988
07-05-2006, 19:21
If it 'must' be Florida then certainly look at places other than the Orlando area. My place is 60 miles from Orlando and most of my American neighbours haven't been to the Theme Parks for many years - the couple of times I have been in recent years is only to take visitors.

There are much nicer parts of Florida with cheaper housing and a lot less traffic.

esprit
07-05-2006, 20:21
I think I would have to agree and for other reasons. A recent article in Emigrate USA said the consul general, in answer to the newspapers questions, stated that 94 percent of the 3000 E2 applications get approved. Being on the ground in Orlando, I hear things and there seems to be a far higher percentage of denials here than that would suggest, which makes me think that possibly it is harder to get a business here through than it is in other parts of the US?

ipk
08-05-2006, 01:54
Hello Graeme,

This is my first attempt so bear with me as I am learning the correct protocol!

I have recently been referred to this site and, I am bound to say, that I wish it were available when my wife and I moved to Sarasota in 1991. I have been through E2, L1 and H1B but now currently flip-flop between Sarasota and England. Now that Ms Olsen heads up things in US Embassy in Grosvenor Square it does appear that a considerable number of British nationals are having their E2 applications and, in some cases renewals, denied, deferred pending receipt of information that, according to some applicants, was supplied with the original package of information (duly bound and labelled). From what I have seen and been informed by reliable sources there is a steady increase in denials for strong applicants who wish to purchase good businesses with documented financial information that meet and, in some cases, exceed the necessary criteria for E2 approval.

From what I have seen and heard, this problem only exists with Grosvenor Square, British nationals who reside in other countries appear to 'sail through' with little or no problems in a very short period of time ie less than 1 month from mailing application to visas in passport and then resident in the United States. It does, therefore, seem unfair as Britain is supposed to be a 'special friend' of the US, this is not reflected in the way we are treated in comparison to the millions of illegals. Here you are looking to invest substantial funds in the US, employ US citizens and have an economic impact on the area in which you purchase or start your business - questions do need to be asked, if Association of Immigration Attorneys have not done so they should.

Just a couple of suggestions for you to ponder:

I did not see an age quoted for Callum, as previously mentioned elswhere, the E2 is not a 'family friendly' visa and, dependent upon further education, once the age of majority is reached a child of an E2 visa holder will be 'Out of Status' - give this aspect very serious consideration.

Again, mentioned elswhere but very important. You own a vacation home already but to limit your search to an area surrounding your home severely limits the choice of business, paticularly as many people in your situation are looking to do the same thing. The most important consideration is to find a good viable business that you feel, with your 30 years of banking bankground, will be suitable for you to mananage. Do also understand, if your wife has any specific skills that may be benficial to running a Florida business, you may seek work authorisation and obtain a position with a Florida bank, just a thought.

I am sure with your banking skills you will find it reasonably easy to understand US Tax Returns, however, there is no substitute for professional opinion from a CPA as to the financials and, possibly, the value of the proposed business. Due Diligence is always banded about but it is very important to undertake personally before signing a purchase contract or at least make it a condition of the contract that you can withdraw of you are not satisfied as to the fact that the revenue or any other financial matter is as reported. Finally, there is more but I think I have said enough for the time being, DO NOT agree to purchase any business without including the condition 'subject to approval of an E2 visa by the US Embassy in London' you will be required to deposit the full purchase proceeds in Escrow prior to formal application but you will be covered should the application be denied. As a result of this and also the extended timescale for the whole process (even greater since the beginning of the year) many owners of good viable businesses do not wish to sell to a British E2 applicant for that reason, if the business is sound an American will buy without the aggravation.

I hope this is not too much 'doom and gloom' but it should make you think about things carefully

Ian K

esprit
08-05-2006, 05:19
It is certainly true that the London embassy is the one where all the current problems are. I know of a case where a large management co was split into two and two identical halves sold, one to a British soldier stationed in Germany who filed in Germany and the other to a Brit living in the UK who filed in London. The former got through easily in just a few weeks, the latter was eventually turned down after many months. Does that tell you something? Unfortuantely you have to file in the place where you normally reside.

florida4sun
08-05-2006, 12:42
We got caught up in this trapm when it started, we ended up going through Mexico without any problems. Although I think that loophole is now closed.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
It is certainly true that the London embassy is the one where all the current problems are. I know of a case where a large management co was split into two and two identical halves sold, one to a British soldier stationed in Germany who filed in Germany and the other to a Brit living in the UK who filed in London. The former got through easily in just a few weeks, the latter was eventually turned down after many months. Does that tell you something? Unfortuantely you have to file in the place where you normally reside.
[/quote]

ipk
08-05-2006, 17:11
For reasons that are currently unknown, the US Embassy in London is making life extremely difficult for British nationals seeking to move to the US or even obtain the B1/B2 visa. I heard last week that a British couple were granted a B1/B2 in London but it was annotated with " Not eligible for change of status". They appear to be blocking many of the loopholes which can be used to circumvent a London application and/or interview. Therefore, even with ownership of a Florida villa (traditionally good grounds for B1/B2 visa) questions are asked at interview why you need more than 90 days available on the Visa Waiver scheme, if you are in full time employment and/or have children of school age, this becomes very difficult to justify.

If you are still serious about pursuing a move to Florida via the E2 route it may be prudent to continue using the Visa Waiver whilst undertaking your research and search for a suitable qualifying business. As you already own a property in Florida you have good cause to visit on a frequent basis, extended visits will become an issue as all your movements "in and out' will be recorded on the computer and an astute Immigration Officer may pick up a pattern and restrict or, worse case, deny future entry to the US. (This is where you stay for the 90 day duration of the Visa Waiver go out of the country for a few days or weeks and return to the US - such action could well have serious ramifications later if and and when you submit an application for an E2 visa.

Ian K

chrizzy100
08-05-2006, 17:27
Things spring to mind like are they cutting down on people coming to the US on that visa because they are thinking of stopping the E2....is that why renewel is also getting harder....or maybe they want people to look elsewhere in the US....I've been leaving forums to do with moving to the US over the last 6 months so I'm not up to date ...but the few people I know in MA are having no trouble getting their visa's or renewel...are they just lucky...or is it because they are not in an area that many Brits are moving too...?

Cruella DeVilla
08-05-2006, 18:12
I'd say go for it, if you don't try you will never know and life is already full of "what ifs".

chrizzy100
08-05-2006, 18:17
I always thought that CV till I started seeing what it did to the kids....now I say...go for it but try to wait until your kids are grown and have a life of their own....I've seen so much heartbreak over the last few years its hit me hard...what its doing to the families I just don't want to think about anymore...its great to live for the day.....but don't drag someone along who maybe the one to pay later....just my 2 cents...

esprit
08-05-2006, 19:05
Martin, they plugged the Mexico loophole a couple of years back, the Bahamas, which is British, was open until recently when it got "discovered" as a way of circumventing London and now that has been plugged also.

I would agree with what Chrizzy says re those who have kids. We came here three years ago with a 17 year old, who has loved it here since day one. We were convinced we could do something about our status before he was 21 or that the Dream Act would be brought in ( the old one, which failed, now reintroduced). In fact he is 21 this year and we are now having to deal with it, putting him on international students status is possible but it quintuples the fees he is now paying making it ill affordable. If you have a non academic kid, you are sunk. Know someone in this circumstance whose 21 year old, here many years, had to leave. His parents are now having to buy him a business to get his own E2. Note that the investment has to look like it came from the kid not the parents so needs some machinations. But in my mind this just perpertuates the problem creating families of E2ers who will never get permenent status barring marriage. I do know of one E2 family who recently went home when their E2 child aged out. They took with them an American educated child who may have difficulty with this when back in the UK but at least kept the family together.

chrizzy100
08-05-2006, 20:20
My sons gone through school in the US from aged 11....at 18 and just about to graduate...he feels that if he had to move back to the UK he would need to do all 5 years of Sr school again... he has learnt nothing here that he did not learn in his Jr School...he has gone through many feelings in over 6 years...he has many good friends but still feels kids only want to know him because he is different...I for one will be glad to see the back of High School...I can't believe what they teach in this country...and what kind of work will earn you an A+...one thing I've learnt is that spelling is not important....really!...well it may come as a shock to American Teachers but it is important everywhere else in the world....I live in an area which until this year had the best schools in the USA....we are now 4th....most of FL in at the bottom...I don't want to think what they are teaching kids down there...but the few from FL that are at our local High School after moving here are 2 years behind MA kids...

E2 is really for people with no kids....grown kids happy in the UK....people with very young kids who want a different life for a few years...it is a temp visa...its not the start of a new life as it stands right now....its a way to live in the US for a time ...the USA will never be home......its giving you a chance to live a different life for a few years....if you come with that thought you should have a great time in the USA for how every long the US Gov lets you stay....or until you sell up and return home yourself...
If you want to stay longer you need a long term plan of school to get a degree in work needed in the US...hope that you can get an H1B...and hope it leads to a greencard...this can take 12 years in your English job...or 4 years of school...but its a lot safer...and a better way to bring your kids to the US....this way is also getting harder...but if something is worth having its worth working and waiting for...just my 2 cents...
If you have to come on an E2....have enough money...whatever you have now...double it before looking at moving over...if you're only here for a short time...you don't want money worries...think about what you want to do here...you'll be at work most of the week...and most of the year...find something you'd like to do for the rest of time...if you are lucky enough to get through renewel every few years...you'll be doing this job till you die...you can't retire...you can't trust most staff to run your company...
America can be a great place to live....make sure you do everything in your power to make your time here happy....read everything....take advice from people already here....understand your visa and its limits...have long term plans for going home if on an E2....make sure if on an E2 with kids that they KNOW this is not a life time move...its a way to live somewhere else for a while...be honest with them...keep a home in the UK if you can....send your kids back to the UK to spend time with family...keep a tie with old friends....keep up to date with school work in England...don't let your kids fall to far behind....

Robert5988
09-05-2006, 00:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Therefore, even with ownership of a Florida villa (traditionally good grounds for B1/B2 visa) questions are asked at interview why you need more than 90 days available on the Visa Waiver scheme, if you are in full time employment and/or have children of school age, this becomes very difficult to justify.
[/quote]

I find some of the US Immigration policies hard to understand. However this one is perfectly understandable. Why would anyone eligble for a Visa Waiver(and not retired) want a visitors visa?

In fact I cannot understand why anyone who wants to stay less than 90 days goes through the trouble and expense of obtaining a visitors visa. It is not as if it garantees you entry - if the Immigration officer has any doubts he can still stop you entering.

esprit
09-05-2006, 03:42
B2 is being used at the moment as a vehicle to change status to another visa, Robert, and that is its worth over visa waiver, as as you know you cannot change status from visa waiver. In so doing. you can obtain say an E2 internally within the US and circumvent the problems in London. Except that now apparently according to the post above, they have started stampimg them as ineligible for change of status.

That last paragraph of Chrizzy's post is great stuff. I would agree with every sentiment, however I also know that people should do all those things and dont. It isnt a permanent visa yet many people spend 10-15 years on it and believe this is their home, I feel like it is mine after only three years, but it isnt, it is a temporary abode as long as you trade and continue to satisfy requirements. Many kids cannot even remember the UK let alone still have friends there. It hence comes as a huge shock to them when they have to face up to approaching 21.

PAUL GIZZI
16-05-2006, 16:37
I know this is not quite you same question as the rest, but what sort of cost is the health insurance (approx)

Cheers

Paul

florida4sun
16-05-2006, 16:49
We were paying around 700 per month but that was through our company in order to get pre existing coverage. 2 adults and 2 children. I would say a typiucal amount would be aroun $400 per month for a healthy family with deductables.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by PAUL GIZZI
I know this is not quite you same question as the rest, but what sort of cost is the health insurance (approx)

Cheers

Paul
[/quote]