PDA

View Full Version : What car do you hire?

Cruella DeVilla
20-04-2006, 22:32
Various threads on different forums recently have got me a thinking and it would be nice to see it all in one thread.

What car do you hire/choose, what class is it and what do you like about it?

What car would you not hire and why?

gail and david roberts
20-04-2006, 23:03
we had a Chrysler 300c in January
we usually go for the Chrysler Voyager

we have ordered both the Above
for Oct as my Brothers family will be with us
so want a Large Van for when we all go together
and a car just in case we need some space [msneek][msneek]

stabard
20-04-2006, 23:18
We have had a Chrysler Town and Country the last couple of times we have been to the States. We like the Space for the family and the boot space for all that shopping!!
As well as this I found it very comfy and easy to drive when we had our Road Trip in california.

mizzy
20-04-2006, 23:58
we're going for a Jeep on our next visit as there's just the four of us (2 adults and 2 children)

we had a big 12 seater van thingie last time as we where holidaying with extended family

Mizzy

Claire
21-04-2006, 00:11
I always go for a 4x4 - Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango. Great boot (trunk) space for sliding things in and out and you sit nice and high off the road.

CLAIRE

glasgowmary
21-04-2006, 01:00
we have had a cheokee and a ford jeep ( forget what it was called ) also a chrysler voyager and have to say i loved the space from the voyager, only one thing as it was full ( of family ) i had to use side mirrors a lot were i usually use my centre mirror but really loved it unsure what we will hire next time always fancy a convertible as we have one here and it would be nice to get the roof down!
but i think we will go voyager.... any nice reports i willing to try as my husband is a petrol head:D

chrizzy100
21-04-2006, 01:05
The cheapest..mid size car...we are in the parks or at home or out eating...so the car is only to get us from A to B.....[msnsmile2]

MarkJan
21-04-2006, 01:09
We were upgraded to a 300C in March, nice drive but very heavy on juice. I can't believe it, petrol up to $2.60+ per gallon! I suppose it is cheaper than $7.70 in the UK.

andrewandcarole
21-04-2006, 01:23
Jeep is our favourite - but a bit heavier on juice than the standard car. I drive a 4x4 at home so don't really like a smaller car.

Carole

Paula D-S
21-04-2006, 01:41
We get the 7 seater chrysler voyager even with just the four of us we need the space for pram, kids stuff and not forgetting the all important bulgeing suitcases for our journey back to the airport.

canarypam
21-04-2006, 01:44
We always hire a convertible these days as we seem to spend so much time driving around - it doesn't feel as bad if we can get the roof off and get a tan !

Sue and Jere
21-04-2006, 01:55
We always hire a 7 seater Chrysler Voyager, even though there is only four of us. We then always have the space for all the shopping. Last visit Jere and my son took out all the back seats and was able to fit in a large Patio table, umbrella, 2 loungers and two chairs.[msnwink]

dawn
21-04-2006, 02:48
Depending on how many of us and how much luggage, first choice 4x4, second choice 7 seater minvan.

E. Cosgrove
21-04-2006, 12:39
If we are touring in the US we have a minivan.
If it's purely and simlpy a Florida trip then it has to be a convertible:D

gail and david roberts
21-04-2006, 13:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sue and Jere
We always hire a 7 seater Chrysler Voyager, even though there is only four of us. We then always have the space for all the shopping. Last visit Jere and my son took out all the back seats and was able to fit in a large Patio table, umbrella, 2 loungers and two chairs.[msnwink]
[/quote]

that's the best thing about the Voyager we got a snooker Table in and Ice Hockey table together with taking all the back seats out , saved us $150 in deliver chargers , [clap][clap]

Disney Dreamer
21-04-2006, 13:53
It's a 7 seater for us as well. We are a family of 4 so we have plenty of room for the cases ( which is always one more going back than you came with!) and it's nice to be able to separte the kids when they are squabbling!!!!!!!

Angela

pieman790
21-04-2006, 14:19
As we normally travel with friends we hire a 8 seater. My little boy calls it the Scooby Doo Mystery machine.
We have hired a 7 seater and a covertable before but have to say that the convertable is not practical car for 4 people with luggage unless you travel very light as it has limited boot space. We hired it for 2 days but it was too cold to have the roof off at Christmas and it wasnt very fast. In fact the 7 seater had more pull/speed in it.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-04-2006, 15:14
We usually go for a 7 seater Grand Voyager as it's what I drive at home and love them - plus they are handy for getting big boxes in when shopping for the villa. If we're in the US and not doing villa shopping, we'd go for a Chrysler 300 every time as they are stunning cars with a lot of power (they were even a head turner in LA amongst all the lovely cars there).

becbecs
21-04-2006, 17:18
We get a Chrysler Town & Country. Loads of space for 4 people plus really nice to drive.

pieman790
21-04-2006, 17:37
We got one of these when we arrived at MCO however we swapped it 7 days later for the convertable for two day then got a Dodge Grand caravan. Although the Town and Country and Dodge look similar the Town and country has alot better spec/drove better, or at least the one we had did.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by becbecs
We get a Chrysler Town & Country. Loads of space for 4 people plus really nice to drive.
[/quote]

becbecs
21-04-2006, 17:52
We drove the Town & Country all the way down to the Florida Keys as we spent a week there, and back to Orlando, It is a really comfy Vehicle, excellent on petrol too. Jane my wife who doesn't normally like driving abroad really liked it. We where really happy with ours. Our Inlaws who are going out in August are hiring one also on our recomendation through OV of course.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman790
We got one of these when we arrived at MCO however we swapped it 7 days later for the convertable for two day then got a Dodge Grand caravan. Although the Town and Country and Dodge look similar the Town and country has alot better spec/drove better, or at least the one we had did.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by becbecs
[/quote]
[/quote]

stabard
21-04-2006, 17:58
Looks like the T and C is the Villa Owners friend [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
21-04-2006, 18:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
If we're in the US and not doing villa shopping, we'd go for a Chrysler 300 every time as they are stunning cars with a lot of power (they were even a head turner in LA amongst all the lovely cars there).
[/quote]

That is a nice car I have to agree I.

orlandodaze
22-04-2006, 03:45
The seven seater Dodge Chrysler for us ,last year we had to get the eight seater . My husband missed the 7 seater so that is what is on the agenda this year.

Tonish
22-04-2006, 04:21
Before we had the kids, we used to get the biggest, most luxurious car we could get - this was generally a Lincoln Town Car or a Cadillac.

I always liked the bench seats, which you used to get on lots of American cars, I remember sometimes even the intermediate size had them - an Oldsmobile 98 with garish red velour seats I think was the last one we had.

Since four children arrived on the scene we've been stuck with people carriers, although I would happily swap one of these for a Lincoln with a bench seat in the front. Problem is that although I've asked for one of these the last few times, I haven't been able to get one.

Had a great time in my very first hired car from rent-a wreck in Canada 25 years ago, a huge old clapped-out Lincoln Continental. You paid them by the age of the car rather than the size. It was the same type of car that was driven by the really fat PI in one of the popular TV series at the time, but I can't remember his name?

CERICROWLEY
22-04-2006, 12:47
We have had quite a few in the times we have been out to Orlando. Coupe, Convertible, 7 seater 4 x4, can't remember the name now. but we have always liked the 4x4 jeep, as you can load quite a lot in them

The Simpsons
22-04-2006, 21:27
We always go for the Chrysler Voyager, the space is great and it's a nice drive, The boot has a recess in the bottom so you can get a extra case in it.

orlandodaze
07-07-2006, 03:30
This year we have a Chrysler Town and Country which we love because of the sunken boot which is great for shopping and the DVD player which is great for Daughter , and my son and his friends have a Chrysler Sebring which is great for the Image .

LiesaAnna
07-07-2006, 11:46
we use a 7 seater dodge caravan i think it is, booked from here of course!!

Robert5988
07-07-2006, 12:17
Smallest cheapest car I can get - only take carry on luggage. Drive to the beach - 60 miles - and park it for 3 weeks and only use it for running about locally. Rarely use a tank of petrol. I don't visit Florida to drive.

Pegasus928
07-07-2006, 13:17
We go for a 7 seater mainly for the luggage space. We had the Town and Country last time which was more than good enough for our needs - plus it gives the kids something new to argue about "I'm going in the back/you're going in the middle/I want the seat on the right/I want to get in through the boot/I want to sit next to Grandma/I want to travel through the carwash strapped to the roof" - the usual stuff.[msnmad]

Oh - and not forgetting the Hummer we hired this year as well - not that we plan on making that a regular thing [msnscared]

Pegasus

Cruella DeVilla
07-07-2006, 15:33
Had a Dodge Stratus last week as that is what I was given, it's ok to drive but not the most stylish set of wheels on the block!!

Fran19
03-08-2006, 17:25
We usually have a large car. The Chrysler Voyager was the last one but have had a 12 seater and even a 15 seater!! Alan doesn't like having to drive these once we are there but with 8 people and loads and loads of suitcases, it seemed like a good idea. The problem is, once you have got yourself from the airport to the villa, you don't need such a large car after that! We went for the 7 seater this time as there were only 6 of us and if we couldn't have got the suitcases in all at the same time, someone was going to stay at the airport and Alan would take two journeys to get everyone/thing to the villa. We got everything in first time though! We have also had a convertible!! Fantastic and we will be doing that every time we are on our own in future! We once had the Durango and that was really nice too![msnsmile2]

KJH
03-08-2006, 22:19
We had the Ford Excursion (8-9 seats) this year, Durango last year and the convertable when it's just the two of us.

Ordered the 300 Touring for November(from this site) just for the two of us.

palmvillas
04-08-2006, 02:47
It depends how many of us there are as to what car i book we have had compact cars, 4x4,and 7 seaters i must admit i like the 4x4.I booked a 4x4 when we went in June and they upgrade us to a jeep comander that was realy nice.We are going to Florida in September i have just booked the flights, the first week we are going to do a bit of travelling so i am thinking of booking a convertable as there is just the 2 of us going.[msnsmile2]

erowlands
04-08-2006, 11:05
We always have a 7 seater, we have filled it to the top,carried plasterboards,plants,tiles you name it!,it's surprising whatever you can get in,the house is now more or less finished to what we wanted but no doubt Ann will find something again to fill the van in September.
Eric and Ann

Redeye
05-09-2007, 15:48
A big 7-seater - nice 'n high, plenty of space, good vis - since they work out not than much more than a standard car, it's a holiday treat and I don't need to be green in Florida! The 20 mpg is offset by fuel at 1/3 our prices AND I love having a compass!

taylona
05-09-2007, 19:17
My husband likes trying out different cars and I used to own a Chrysler Voyager.

This summer we rented a Mustang Convertible. Husband loved this car and we got lots of comments from people as we drove this. I think we will be renting it again (through this site using Budget).

TrishT
19-03-2008, 11:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJH
We had the Ford Excursion (8-9 seats) this year, [/quote]

can i ask where you hired that from, I have one as a daily driver here in the uk and find they are the most practical car ever.
have not found where to hire one as yet though.

we normally end up with a 12 seater from dollar which is slightly smaller.

the excursion we can all fit in and have room for 8+ suitcases without having them on laps or under feet.

msmiff
27-04-2008, 21:01
Try hard to get a different car every visit - rings the changes.
Worst to date: Jeep Cherokee. Very thirsty + aircon frquently cut out with 'overheat' light.
Best: Chrysler Sebring convertable. Quick with excellent handling & easy room for 4.
Most disappointing: Ford Mustang convertible. Slow, very noisy, lousy handling, sharp edges to seat runners in back.

FraserLynn
27-04-2008, 21:49
To date we have had:

2 x grand cherokee - IMO probably the best all rounder

1 x Dodge durango - very plasticy (if that is a word) - least favourite just did not get on with it.

1 300c touring - had to give it back because the boot wasn't big enough to get our luggage in[msnembarrased]

2 dodge caravan - the children's favourite - DVD player and electric sliding doors won them over[msnsmile2]

1 ford explorer - massive but really practical - probably my favourite [msncool]

I have to say that although they all do a fine job, I am happy to give them all back and wouldn't want any of them to be my day to day car. All in all I would probably go for the cherokee (or other 4x4) as the most practical.

roger
27-04-2008, 22:28
You can book the Luxury 8 Seater SUV through www.uscarhire.co.uk (this is supplied by Budget / Avis).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by TrishT

can i ask where you hired that from, I have one as a daily driver here in the uk and find they are the most practical car ever.

the excursion we can all fit in and have room for 8+ suitcases without having them on laps or under feet.

[/quote]

erowlands
27-04-2008, 22:41
We always have a 7 seater mini van even if it's just two of us, we managed two single bed bases and one matres in January, could not quite get the other matress in so had to back next day. Also had plasterboards and all manner of things for the villa over the years.We have aniother booked for May 6th, nine days and counting......

Eric

TrishT
27-04-2008, 23:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger
You can book the Luxury 8 Seater SUV through www.uscarhire.co.uk (this is supplied by Budget / Avis).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by TrishT

Thanks Roger [8D] We have already booked this year, followed link above for flights and deal included 12 seater minivan, thought you were all linked and carhire they did thru you, sorry [msnsad] all booked and paid for before we realised not the case [msnscared] from this experience have to say will not be doing same in the future, will be coming direct to you for carhire [msnwink]

[/quote]
[/quote]

MuDvAyNeX
27-04-2008, 23:54
I picked the Intermediate option with Budget.

I got a Chevvy Malibu, Intermediate ? it was bigger than a Passat!!!

But i loved it and now hate driving my Golf at home [msnsad]

pt cruiser
28-04-2008, 00:25
Hired one of these for other half, a real head turner, but not very practical for shopping! He loved it so much he now has one of his own.
Usually have the 300c,lovely car theres always a fight who gets to the keys first.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pt cruiser/2007101418455_prowler.jpg

Tavles
28-04-2008, 03:19
There are 8 of us in our group,and we always hire 2 cars so we have more flexibility when visiting Parks,shopping malls etc. We have hired Dodge Durango's in the past but now always choose the Chrysler 300c- Brilliant cars.
Alan

piggo64
28-04-2008, 13:51
Hi all!
We go for a 7 seater
had a Town and Country last time,
Love the space and high driving position[clap]

sammibabe
29-04-2008, 09:29
Last time we upgraded to full size which wasn't big enough for cases. We managed to get it all in but were very squashed! (and 1 who has grown a lot since so no space in front of her legs) Have decided on 7 seater this time because of that. From Budget but no idea what that is likely to be. Maybe Roger (we booked here)can let me know!

E. Cosgrove
29-04-2008, 10:46
If it's only the 2 of us we try to hire a convertible, although it depends on what we are buying![msnoo]
Not very practicle for trips to Lowes and Home Depot so sometimes we have to make sacrifices[msnsad]

badabing
03-05-2008, 13:01
We get a Chrysler Town & Country although there are only three of us Loads of space especialy with the "stow & go" seats.