PDA

View Full Version : Over 55's relocating

eclipsed
20-04-2006, 15:28
My parents are considering retiring to Florida, they like the idea of an over 55's community but we dont know where to start looking for information on rules and regulations on emigrating. Can anyone help please.

luckylady
20-04-2006, 17:04
Hi Lynne
I can point you in the right direction of 55+ Communities I will DM you information of three I know, do you realise these communties are only active 55+ residential only?
Family and frends can visit.no payment can change hands not STR
Also are you aware that your parents cannot retire to Florida, can stay for six months at a time with a visa
[msnwink][msnwink]

chrizzy100
20-04-2006, 17:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eclipsed
My parents are considering retiring to Florida, they like the idea of an over 55's community but we dont know where to start looking for information on rules and regulations on emigrating. Can anyone help please.
[/quote]

There is no retirement visa... they can snowbird and stay in FL for part of the year...they could buy a business invest a lot of money and it could lead to a greencard...or they could try getting an E2 temp visa..and go through the trouble of renewel every few years...not something I would want to do...if you're of retirement age with no kids coming with you.. E2 could get you your years in the sun........there are tons of forums out there dealing right now with the up and downs of moving...but the best place to start looking is the USA Gov web pages...
Being a snowbird is the best of all worlds if you ask me...America has high payments for healthcare...that is if they can get any to start with...
coming to the USA to live for a few months before thinking about moving would be a good idea...Fl is hot and humid a lot of the year...if you have to go back to work and run a company its long hours and lots of paper work to keep getting renewel...
I would book a long term rental home high summer for 4 months...and then think it over ....myself...I'd hire an RV for a few months a year and see the States...working to live here you only get to see just a tiny part of this country....not what I would want from retirment...

esprit
20-04-2006, 19:30
They need a B2 visa, allows you to stay for six months only, you can get extensions but need to show good reason. Living here all the while as a retiree is a no no. B2 is quite easy to get if you are retired and the older you are the less closely they look at you. You do need to show links to the UK. The alternative is to link together visa waiver three month stays, departing and re-entering each time. The only full time option would be to buy and run a business which is what we did and that aint retirement, dont I know it!!

eclipsed
21-04-2006, 02:29
many thanks for the replies,the best of both world seems to be living in the sun for our winter and coming back for the summer.They are going to try a long rental on a golfing community this summer.

Andrena
11-07-2006, 03:09
We have friends who stay in Florida most of the year on a B2 visa. If you leave the US during the time you are there going for instance to Canada then your visa is re-stamped for a further six months. So you can virtually spend most of the year in the US. You could come home to the UK for a holiday and then return.

Andrena

esprit
12-07-2006, 02:03
They have been lucky. One day, they will be stopped...

tezz7628
12-07-2006, 02:49
i'm sure i read on here canada had stopped [?]

Robert5988
12-07-2006, 11:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: i'm sure i read on here canada had stopped [/quote]

It is stopped for a Visa Waiver(not a Visa) You cannot now cross into any country that borders the USA(incl Carribean Islands) and have another Visa Waiver with another 90 days stay.

I understood a B2 Visa allowed you to stay for 6 months in a 12 month period(but I could be wrong on that) I suppose if you stayed for July-Dec in 2005 that would count as one 6 month period(in 12 months). A further stay of 6 months from Jan-June 2006 would count as another period.

The question would be could you stay from July-December 2006? If my understanding of a B2 visa is correct it wouldn't be allowed.

I believe that the main criteria is to convince US immigration you retain firm ties, and intend to return, to UK and will not be a burden to Uncle Sam. They would not allow anything that would allow you to establish any form of permanent residency in the USA.

esprit
12-07-2006, 18:34
You can still cross into another country ie not the UK on a visa, Robert but are now being given an I-94 only to the end of your visa, not a full two years irrespective as before. This is a new rule or rather no one has been told about it, it appears to be a policy decision but I know of a number of cases where it has happened in recent months. You are allowed 6 months in any year on B2 unless you extend and you need to show reason.

flyrr100
13-07-2006, 16:41
Lynne
I'm sure your parents have taken into consideration the cost of healthcare here in Florida?