PDA

View Full Version : Miami

Matt2323
16-04-2006, 23:37
Hi

Is it pretty safe to live in Miami? I am 23, and i will be alone completely.

Is there anything i should know?

I want to rent an apartment (small, 1 bed) for the 6 month or so period.

This may sound stupid, but how should i go about making friends there?

Thanks

Matt

ellie
17-04-2006, 01:00
Hi Matt

Like any big city, Miami has its good and bad areas. May I ask if you need to be in the centre of Miami, as there are many outlying areas which are extremely handy and pleasant to live in?

My daughter spent a year in Boca Raton, just 40 miles north of Miami and loved it. However she was able to rent an apartment with another girl who was also working at the resort as part of her Uni degree.

Without knowing a little more about your situation it is difficult to advise. Are you working for a big company, for instance?

Although there are many developments of apartments to rent you might find it advisable to try and share one, as the outgoings can be quite a lot. You will also have to provide deposits for utilities etc. I am sure you will also need to buy a car, unless you plan to live very close to your job, as public transport is not like in the UK, and everyone drives.

My daughter bought and drove a car in Florida, and took to it like a duck to water despite being a very nervous driver in the UK. Getting around by car is very easy as the roads are on a grid system, and not difficult to memorise. Far easier than the little roads in the UK.

I wish you well in your new life in Miami. Am sure that you will find Americans very friendly.
:)

orlandobabe
18-04-2006, 03:24
I suppose you would go about making friends there same as here-when you take up your new job-join sports and social groups etc.

Do you find it difficult meeting new people here Matt?

Americans are very friendly people and are probably one of the few nations that really like us-so just be yourself-natural, sincere and genuine and people will want to be your friend.

esprit
18-04-2006, 03:40
Miami is excedingly hispanic in many parts, it would help a lot if you spoke some Spanish.

sundowner
18-04-2006, 15:02
Our son was in Miami in Feb this year (we have all been a few times and love the place), he was there on business this time and on his own. People always chatting to him so I think it will be easy to meet people if you get out and about. If you are working over there you are bound to meet other people in similar situation to your own.