PDA

View Full Version : Spalding Flower Parade - Sat April 29th

Deb
12-04-2006, 18:17
If you fancy a day out (April 29th) or a weekend away visit Spalding, Lincs - my home town.

The Spalding Flower Parade has been held every year since 1958. It is a beautiful spectacle of floats decorated with tulip heads and other gorgeous flowers. There are also marching bands, old time bicycles, vintage cars,and lots of children in costumes riding on the floats or on decorated tractors & lorries.

The parade is only held on the Saturday afternoon April 29th , but the whole bank holiday weekend has a carnival atmosphere.There's a funfair, music, church flower festivals, and a water taxi that can take you from the town centre to Springfields which has beautiful gardens and a shopping outlet.

If you look at the website there's lots of information about what's on: http://www.spalding.org.uk/flower_parade.html

I'm sure you'll have a great time, but get there early as it gets busy![msnsmile]

Tracey K
13-04-2006, 03:53
Hi Debra
We used to live in Peterborough and I even worked in Spalding for a while and we haven't been to this for about 12 years. However we were only talking about maybe going this year and taking our daughter so your information is very timely.

Can you recommend a good place to watch it from?

Deb
13-04-2006, 12:02
Hi Tracey

It really depends as its a long route - the parade leaves Springfields Arena then travels the 4½ miles, then through the town and back again. Springfields has lots going on - but I personally prefer the atmosphere in town. You could always hop on one of the buses they put on to visit Springfields as its about 2 miles away, but too far to walk.

They close the roads at about 12.30 (best to check the website), but I think a good viewing place is Pinchbeck Road. Its a very long road with good visibility and within walking distance of the town centre.

Have a great day!