PDA

View Full Version : preferred grocery store

christine_malish
07-04-2006, 02:42
I visit many of the supermarkets whilst staying in Orlando. Upon speaking to different people there appears to be no consensus of opinion as to which is the best. I find Wal mart inexpensive, Publix offers good quality but is more expensive than Walmart.Target offer a limited range. Out of all the food stores I visit I find Costco offers some very attractive foods in large quantities.
I need to explore Costco's car hire details as they offer discouted rates for all the major car hire companies in the US. I shall do this next week whilst in FL.
Regards Christine<span style=&#39;color:blue&#39;></span id=&#39;blue&#39;>

Ray&Sarah
07-04-2006, 03:36
For grocery shopping we prefer Publix, we aren't big fans of Walmart for food but for everything else its the first place we head.[msnsmile2]

MarkJan
07-04-2006, 04:14
Publix for me but I will say the rotisserie chicken at Walmatrt is excellent.

luckylady
07-04-2006, 04:41
Publix for me the bread and cooked meats are far better than Walmart and their lime cream pie is to die for.
Costco will always be a favourite of mine

pieman790
07-04-2006, 10:05
I personally love Walmart as it has so much of everything however the food side of the store does not offer as much as Publix in terms of variety.

MICKEYSDEN
07-04-2006, 11:42
Publix is the first place we stop at on the way to our villa, we have to pick up their large cheesecake, hubby says it's the best he has tasted.:)

Publix is the best for food, they also sell a large selection of British food for kids who cannot live without their beans and sauce.[msnwink]

emm
07-04-2006, 12:27
Publix for food and Walmart for everything else! [msnsmile2]

SDJ
07-04-2006, 13:02
Publix for us everytime. Talking of cheesecake, try it from The Cheesecake Factory at Millenia Mall. Wonderful!!

Sandra

solanasunshine
07-04-2006, 15:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady
Publix for me the bread and cooked meats are far better than Walmart and their lime cream pie is to die for.
[/quote]

Publix for us too, their Key lime pie is die for especially with chocolate ice cream![msnsmile2][msnwink]

alan price
07-04-2006, 20:10
Looks like as with every one else Publix is best for food and Wal-Mart for every thing else.

You don't get too distacted when getting your food shop at Publix.
When we go into Wal-Mart we are there so long that we have to use the toilets a couple of times.[msneek][msneek]

Kim.

Claire
07-04-2006, 20:47
Publix here too. Closely followed by the Target on 192, which is very clean and nicely laid out (and also has great daily samples of the wonderful cakes, etc!!).

CLAIRE

floridageoff
07-04-2006, 21:21
For grocery shopping it's Publix for us everytime. Publix = Tesco / Sainsburys, Walmart = Netto, for food anyway.

Genie
07-04-2006, 21:23
Publix and I also like Target they do the Quaker instant oats with peach and that fabulous chocolate drink with marshmallows !

LiesaAnna
07-04-2006, 21:42
walmart rules for us!!
i spend many hours in there going through everything, and we go visit many, this is during our "days off relaxing" but do pop in our way home more or less at the end of every day!!
the quantities walmart serves is great!! especially when there are a few in your group!!

Ray&Sarah
07-04-2006, 21:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie
Publix and I also like Target they do the Quaker instant oats with peach and that fabulous chocolate drink with marshmallows !
[/quote]

We are quite partial to Target for food shopping too Jean, those oats sound lovely.[msnsmile2]

07-04-2006, 23:45
Publix and Target, Publix is great for quality as is Target but they also have Super target which nearly always have a Starbucks in too[msnwink]

I have gone right off Walmart[msnscared]

wrpac00
08-04-2006, 01:09
Publix for food shopping without a doubt. I don't like the way Walmarts food dept is laid out but wouldn't go anywhere elese for everything else.

Jo
08-04-2006, 02:10
I do Publix for my main shopping as its just down the road and pick up bits and pieces as required in Target and Walmart when i am shopping for other things for the villa/to take home. I also do a speical food shop at Chamberlains for my gluten free goodies .

fiona
08-04-2006, 02:56
For food I always shop at Publix with a few side trips to Target - they do very good garlic bread amongst other things! Walmart is good for household items but I hate all the queues there and cannot bear to do food shopping there. In fact I find queuing quite a bind nowadays, I am spoilt as have signed up for the quick-scan at my local Waitrose and can do a weekly shop from start to finish in 35 mins, so I get very irritated at standing in line for well over 10.15 mins. What I particularly like at Publix is that they pack and then take everything to the car and then load it for me. Wish they could bring that over here without having to ask for it.

Still have to do a Walmart shop each time though, and it's amazing how a few cheap items always end up at $300+[msnoo].

bouncey
08-04-2006, 04:21
walmart is superb, but we stopped on a community with a winn dixie at the entrance, although small in comparison it was very well layed out, and the staff were very helpful.

Maz
09-04-2006, 00:57
We prefer publix - but they are all reasonable. its just like at home we all have our favourite supermarket - but they are all much of a muchness.

julieanne
10-04-2006, 00:31
Got to be Publix for food shopping for me

Pegasus928
13-04-2006, 05:30
We use Publix most because it is always there on the way back to the villa - especially if we are stopping for a chinese/pizza so we can just nip in whilst waiting.
Food wise it is brilliant but Walmart always gets our vote for everything else.
Last time we were there Windixie was doing a BIG promotional drive emphasising how much they have improved lately so we may give them a try next time.
Pegasus

mollymolly
17-04-2006, 13:18
For food I prefer Publix. Great puddings, icecream, cakes cookies and Key lime pie to die for,YumYum! We tend to cook most nights at our villa and find a great range of meats & specially prepared meals that you can pop in the oven. Pork loin stuffed with cheese & herbs is a favourite of ours.

We love to barbie and have found the best ready made burgers from Walmart. Go for the lean and you'll get no fat causing high flames and spoiling your BBQ. Walmart is great for everything else. We're over in the Gulf Coast and have a few other great supermarkets - Winn Dixies, K-Mart, Target and they tend to have clusters of little shops round them like Subways & Dollar stores.

icemaidenuk
17-04-2006, 15:14
Hi Guys

Do Publix sell electrical items and clothes the same as Walmart?

TIA

dawn
17-04-2006, 23:10
I like Winn Dixie for fresh food like meat and salads, but for everyday groceries Walmart of Target

ellie
18-04-2006, 00:30
No, Tia, Publix does not sell clothes or electrical items, but it has a wider range of food items. They also offer great service - they are happy to pack for you and carry items to the car and a notice says you do not need to tip them, its all part of the service. We think it is more like Waitrose, quality food at good prices.

We have a new SuperWalmart just 2 minutes away from our villa, as well as a Publix so we are spoilt for choice. Our new Superwalmart also has self scanning like in the UK so it is very quick and easy. It is a great place to shop for almost anything you could need.

We also like SuperTarget, and think their fruit is good value.

becbecs
18-04-2006, 13:32
We just use the Publix at Berry Town US27 as its the nearest to our Villa. Although did take a look at the Walmart further up the 27 just past the US192 link. This supermarket has to be the largest I have ever been in. Its like walking into a airplane hanger.

Susan J
24-04-2006, 12:44
Ellie - where is the self scanning Walmart?

I prefer PUblix myself - love their Mountain bread
Use Winn Dixies as my nearest -can't do the queues in Walmart sometimes, and not keen for food, but tend to get cleaning supplies and other stuff from there.

What happened to the new Goodings at Celebration entrance [near the wonderful stone cold ice cream place] it was closed when we were there over Easter.

The Simpsons
02-05-2006, 00:30
It has to be Wallmart for a big shop and we go to Publix for the odds n sods.

E. Cosgrove
02-05-2006, 00:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by emm
[/quote]
Ditto:D:D

djdigitald
02-05-2006, 12:12
Publix for food for us. We do use Walmart sometimes but will probably go to Publix most.

blott
02-05-2006, 16:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
[/quote]
Ditto:D:D[/quote]Double ditto! [msnsmile2]

wendyd
02-05-2006, 20:45
Publix for food Wallmart for houshold items and costco for everthing especially if you are a large partie they do great food for the barbie.
Wendy

andrewandcarole
02-05-2006, 21:11
Publix is my favourite - but as I try not to do too much cooking when we are in Florida I tend to use Winn Dixies (very close to our community) or Walmart.

Carole

Kazzie
03-05-2006, 00:07
Ditto here too.

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
[/quote]
Ditto:D:D[/quote]Double ditto! [msnsmile2]
[/quote]