PDA

View Full Version : Schools in Orlando

formomsonly
05-04-2006, 09:06
I am moving up to Orlando and need some info on a school called 'Hunters Creek Middle School'. Anyone that knows anything at all about the school let me know! I know it is a Grade A school, but how is it other than that?

Thanks in advance.

esprit
07-04-2006, 04:14
I am sending you by pm the address of another forum which I know has two members on it who live in Hunters Creek and have kids. I personally only know Celebration schools, I am not sure there is anyone on this forum who is on Hunters Creek.

cdrako
07-04-2006, 18:02
go to www.greatschools.net to get statistics on all florida schools.

That's what I used when I moved here 4 years ago it was a great help.

flyrr100
07-05-2006, 16:17
I'm not familiar with Hunter's Creek schools. When we moved here we look at the school situation and decided to live in Seminole County. Orange County schoold are terrible.

chrizzy100
07-05-2006, 17:44
Some schools are a shock to the system in FL...I know most of my neighbours in Devenport who have moved from other States sent their kids back to where they came from to finish school..

I've heard good things about Hunters creek from Brits living there...the forum Julie is sending you too is well worth checking out...
Just keep in mind that the US school system is not like the UK...and your kids do not get more clever just flying over the ocean...its way behind the UK schools...and your kids in most cases will be way ahead...which can lead to problems at a later date...

cdrako
08-05-2006, 21:25
Hey Chrizzy - how are you.... I'm not with Millbrook anymore - moved on to work for a broker but I miss all of my Millbrook buddies!![msncry]

I felt like I really made some good friends on that forum...

Hope you're doing well!!

Cindy

chrizzy100
08-05-2006, 21:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cdrako
Hey Chrizzy - how are you.... I'm not with Millbrook anymore - moved on to work for a broker but I miss all of my Millbrook buddies!![msncry]

I felt like I really made some good friends on that forum...

Hope you're doing well!!

Cindy
[/quote]

Hi.....I'm fine....nice to see you still post....next time I'm in FL I'll let you know....I don't think you are far from my place on Tuscan Ridge......:)

Susan J
08-05-2006, 22:00
I heard that US schools are two years behind UK ones -causes problems when the child goes on to " university" as they have gap years to fill firstly.

esprit
09-05-2006, 03:50
I would say that is correct. UCAS regards a US high school graduation to be the equivalent of GSCEs even though most kids are 18 when they graduate and 16 when they take GCSEs. Remember however that they dont start school till 6 wheras many UK kids go at 4 so they are bound to be ahead. Many kids here will elect to do an Asoociates degree for two years befote going on to University. You do that at community college and it is equivalent of A levels and UCAS accept it as such. It bridges the gap between school and college effectively. It is no wonder our kids are ahead of their age group in US school as they will have had 1-2 years more schooling than a kid of their age here. The problems do start when american educated Brit kids go home, though I think Martin said his are doing OK so it must be possible to catch up.