PDA

View Full Version : Driving

Rosieluvshols
03-04-2006, 14:57
We have booked our 1st fly-drive holiday to Florida this summer is it ok to have the old style paper driving licence or do I need to update to the new photo one, thanks in advance.<span style=&#39;font-family:Comic Sans MS&#39;></span id=&#39;Comic Sans MS&#39;>

SDJ
03-04-2006, 15:06
Hi Rosie

It would be better to have the photo driving license as then this will serve you as ohoto ID which you must carry at all times. It saves carrying your passports round.

Sandra

Kazzie
03-04-2006, 15:09
Rosie, your paper licence is fine.

Karen

GrahamC
03-04-2006, 15:10
I would agree, lots of shops ask for photo ID if you are doing large credit card purchases. It is easier to carry than your passport.

I did mine a few weeks ago and the new one was back in 5 days.

wrpac00
03-04-2006, 17:12
A photo driving license is easier than carrying your passport but having said that I have only been asked for ID once in my last 7 trips. You do have to have your driving license on you when ever you drive.

Pegasus928
03-04-2006, 17:40
We changed to the photo style before our trip last year and were pleased we did due to the amoount of times we were asked for photo ID - not just with our park tickets or credit card purchases, but in the supermarkets as well when buying alcohol. Most places operate a system were if you look under 40 they will always ask for ID and these new driving licenses make it easier than taking your passport everywhere.
One other point about your fly-drive. Have you looked into how much your insurance on the car is going to cost. For us (and we only got back yesterday [msncry]) it worked out cheaper to rent a car for 2 weeks than it did to take the 'Free' car with Virgin flydrive and pay the insurance.
We got our car from

http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/

We have used them on both trips and have yet to have any problems

Pegasus

orlandodaze
03-04-2006, 18:46
You dont have to look under 40 to be asked for id while purchasing alcohol, I know a 55 year old man who was asked for id last summer. Hardly surprising though because this guy has one careful owner and is kept in mint condition .

pieman790
03-04-2006, 19:11
I have the old style paper one and shops etc still allow me to use it as ID. Granted i am a little over 35.

davy woods
03-04-2006, 23:31
I still have the paper one but I will be udating to a new one. Do you need a form from the post office for this before you send your details to DVLA.
Dave

GrahamC
04-04-2006, 00:26
Yes, you need a form from the post office, and a new picture.

However, you can quote your current passport number and they use this to certify your picture, which shows how our government computers are linked.

sunseeker
04-04-2006, 02:26
your paper license is fine but you must carry photo ID when your driving

Dave

Sue and Jere
04-04-2006, 02:41
Paper license is ok, but make sure you carry ID.
Jere was asked for ID when we had a meal in T G I Fridays last year and he was 44 then [laugh] She did not make his day as he only wanted a drink [beer]

Kazzie
04-04-2006, 04:02
I understand that it is a good idea to carry some form of photo ID but we have never been asked for this in the last 10 years.

Karen

RIS
04-04-2006, 05:32
Maybe it's just the way I look but I have been asked for photo ID 3 times TODAY! Try to get the new licence if you can.

04-04-2006, 10:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RIS
Maybe it's just the way I look but I have been asked for photo ID 3 times TODAY! Try to get the new licence if you can.
[/quote]

Think you had better post a photo then Roger so we can all see[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

GrahamC
04-04-2006, 15:18
Certainly with credit card transactions they are asking more as a fraud prevention measure.