PDA

View Full Version : 1st Visit - Not Impressed

MsRuthieB
10-07-2003, 15:21
I got back from a week's stay and I'm not impressed at all with Walt Disney World. We went to Epcot the first day for the Princess Breakfast. That was way overpriced and the food wasn't really that good. Epcot in itself feels like it's just a bunch of gift shops themed around whatever country they happened to be in. It wasn't very educational at all for our 10 and 11 year old girls. The only upside to Epcot compared to the other parks is that there were more 'get wet' stations than the other parks which was invaluable considering the heat index was 100 degrees farenheit on our visit. Epcot' Relections on Earth show at night and the 4th of July fireworks were 2 thumbs up as well.

The second day we went to MGM studios. We were disappointed there too as there weren't hardly any rides with the exception of the Rockin Rollercoaster and the Tower of Terror. There were more shows than Epcot here though.

The 3 day on our 4 day park hopper pass was spent at the Magic Kingdom. This was the better one out of the three we visited. But yet again, they didn't have as many rides as I thought they would. And it was too crowded. We ate dinner at Tony's Restraurant, which was cute but way overpriced.

In general, all three parks were overpriced. I mean, $2.50 for a 16 ounce bottle of water? And most adults seemed to have lost all sense of manners when the walk through the main gate. I saw more adults dragging around miserable kids that weren't having any fun than I care to remember. I wish Disney would make a kids section for the shows so that the smaller children can see around the big adults that insist on taking up that space. And adults should be made to stand back a bit during the parades and let the kids up front so they can see. One suggestion I would make is to list which characters appear at which parks on a board at the Main Gate of each park. My little girl spent most of the day at the Magic Kingdom looking for Jasmin only to find out that the only park she visits is Epcot in Morrocco. We spent quite a bit of time in Morrocco when we were there and never saw her. Alladin is at Magic Kingdom but Jasmin never visits?? My daughter was disappointed. One thing I must commend Disney on though. All of their employees are very polite and accomodating. Great attitudes too. Disney's shows are top rate as well. It looks like they try but definitely miss the boat for us.

The Sleuths Mystery Dinner Show was not that great either. The lasagna was runny and cold and the salad was wilted. While we were there we couldn't use the lady's bathroom because the plumbing was working therefore we left early before we even found out 'who dunnnit'. Way overpriced at $128 for 4 people.

The only thing that saved our vacation was the villa we stayed in. We stayed in the Highlands Reserve. Absolutely stunning to say the least! Was very impressed with the community here and the homes themselves. A Publix grocery store is opening this week right around the corner from there as well. I can't say enough good things about my experience with the home we rented. Loved it! And the kids loved the pool! They say that was the best part of the whole trip.

Well, next vacation we've decided to go the educational route and make a trip to Washington, D.C. I don't think we'll be back to Florida anytime soon.

Oh, sorry about the rant. I just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

esprit
10-07-2003, 16:49
Please dont write off Florida until you have tried the rest of it. Disney was obviously not for you but did you try either of the Universal Parks, Seaworld or Busch Gardens? Or the water parks? The Disney experience is a big part of Orlando but it is only one part and the rest of Florida is a totally different experience again. Washington is great ( I have done that too) but only for one trip. Perhaps you could give Florida another shot at a future date and do the non Disney part?? Glad you liked your villa stay anyway. A lot of us on here own homes and it is always gratifying to hear that.
PS went to Sleuths at Xmas and had a totally different experience of it ( though we did avoid the lasagna, having read on here that it was the worst of the three meal choices). Perhaps you caught them on a bad night.

blott
10-07-2003, 17:06
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your vacation although I'm pleased you enjoyed the home you rented.

OK, so now you've 'done' Disney and I'm sorry it wasn't a 'magical' experience for you but that's not all that Florida has to offer by a long way! As Julie says, there's Sea World, Discovery Cove, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, etc and loads and loads of unusual things to do and see there, so please don't write it off as a vacation destination altogether!

We also enjoyed Sleuth's dinner show but were pre-warned that the lasagne wasn't the best choice on the menu. There's a lot of British humour in the shows, although the US guests who shared our table seemed to be enjoying themselves and we managed a good chat with them in between times.

Enjoy your next vacation in Washington and perhaps you'll feel able to return to Florida some day and sample some of the other delights on offer there.

florida4sun
10-07-2003, 17:09
Hello,
I would agree that the food is overpriced. You would have been better off going too Hollywood and Dine in MGM (you can eat the entrance fee in smoked salmon alone).
I do disagree that Epcot is not very educational. Every pavillion is packed full of informtion and very talkative/informative staff. My kids spend forever chatting to castmembers and always come away learning something new (but they are bright and very outgoing). The World Showcase is the same, of course there are shops but hey this is a business. Spend time chatting to the castmembers and they are more than keen to tell you all about their native land. The architecture is also surpisingly good for a cut down version. Each country has its own unique show which are also very good. Did you not see the show in the american pavillion, its worth the entrance fee alone. Along with test track, honey I shrunk the audience, space ship earth, figment, the living seas, universe of energy etc etc.
Water at $270 bottle is arip off, thats why most people take in their own (freeze it the night before). Just ask at any food place for a cup of ice and your away.
Each park does have an area where which tells you waht time and where each character will be (surpised you missed this). Also if you had stopped and asked any cast member they will call in and find out for you. Its waste of valuable time just wondering around hoping to find a character.
Slueths dinner show - I do agree that this is not the best.
Also we visted Washington DC to see the sites and museums. Its a pretty scary place, did not feel safe at all. Two many down and outs (and some other very wierd folk) bothering you all the time. Its somewhere I would not rush back too.

[quote]quote:Originally posted by MsRuthieB

I got back from a week's stay and I'm not impressed at all with Walt Disney World. We went to Epcot the first day for the Princess Breakfast. That was way overpriced and the food wasn't really that good. Epcot in itself feels like it's just a bunch of gift shops themed around whatever country they happened to be in. It wasn't very educational at all for our 10 and 11 year old girls. The only upside to Epcot compared to the other parks is that there were more 'get wet' stations than the other parks which was invaluable considering the heat index was 100 degrees farenheit on our visit. Epcot' Relections on Earth show at night and the 4th of July fireworks were 2 thumbs up as well.

The second day we went to MGM studios. We were disappointed there too as there weren't hardly any rides with the exception of the Rockin Rollercoaster and the Tower of Terror. There were more shows than Epcot here though.

The 3 day on our 4 day park hopper pass was spent at the Magic Kingdom. This was the better one out of the three we visited. But yet again, they didn't have as many rides as I thought they would. And it was too crowded. We ate dinner at Tony's Restraurant, which was cute but way overpriced.

In general, all three parks were overpriced. I mean, $2.50 for a 16 ounce bottle of water? And most adults seemed to have lost all sense of manners when the walk through the main gate. I saw more adults dragging around miserable kids that weren't having any fun than I care to remember. I wish Disney would make a kids section for the shows so that the smaller children can see around the big adults that insist on taking up that space. And adults should be made to stand back a bit during the parades and let the kids up front so they can see. One suggestion I would make is to list which characters appear at which parks on a board at the Main Gate of each park. My little girl spent most of the day at the Magic Kingdom looking for Jasmin only to find out that the only park she visits is Epcot in Morrocco. We spent quite a bit of time in Morrocco when we were there and never saw her. Alladin is at Magic Kingdom but Jasmin never visits?? My daughter was disappointed. One thing I mus

bellaepovera
10-07-2003, 17:12
Im sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World, I do have to agree with some of your statements but I do believe that visiting these parks in the fall time, winter, and early spring would be much more enjoyable as due to the hot temps in Florida it is very hard to enjoy all 4 of there wonderful parks. My kids usually visit one park while we are down here in the summer and enjoy more of the water parks which are fabulous and well organized.

athurstance
10-07-2003, 17:27
I would tend to agree about the princess breakfast food - we went to the one at MK in the castle. The food was so-so but it is the atmosphere and the chance to meet characters which are not really easily available elsewhere that you are paying for. It was my youngest son's 4th birthday when we went and they gave him a little cake with a candle and had everyone sing happy birthday to him. We saw Prince Charming, Beauty, Cinderella, Fairy Godmother and they all took plenty of time for photos and autographs at each table.
Can't agree about Epcot not being educational though. You can see and play with all the latest techie stuff in Innovations - my kids can be in there for hours - its not only games either although they have these its new phone systems and communications and all that stuff.
The main pavilions are full of educational info - it is like a huge encyclopedia and having everything so visually displayed with hands on exhibits is - in my opinion - the best way to learn about anything. Where else can you be told about plants growing in moon soil and actually see them for yourself for instance. I would agree with Martin - my kids are always chatting to the cast members in the pavilions and asking this and that and the CMs are usually very well informed.
I'd love to know where you go that has more rides and shows than Disney for you to be so disapointed. This was the one thing that absolutely floored me when we first went to Disney World - just how much was actually there - so much to do so little time. I've never been to anything that compares with it.
We love Universal and Busch Gardens too for the rides - more thrill rides I suppose but less character.
Still at least you enjoyed your villa. It is wonderful in the heat to be able to chill out in the pool isn't it? I love the way I can just sit either in the jacuzzi or on the pool deck and let the boys play around in the pool. They can be in the pool for hours.
I notice you didn't mention the water parks - we usually go to one every day and it is one of the real highlights of our trip. We get a lot of 'family time' on the raft rides etc then I chill out with a book while the daredevils hit the slides.

Lesley S
10-07-2003, 18:34
Sorry to hear that you did not like Disney. But we enjoy it. Always find plenty of rides and things to go on. We usually have a meal with Pooh Bear and characters at MK and with Mickey at Epcot.

We also can't agree that Epcot isn't educational, plenty of things for the kids to do and learn about.

MsRuthieB
10-07-2003, 18:52
My husband and I were discussing why we feel that WDW wasn't up to par for us while everyone else here enjoyed it. I believe that a lot of it has to do with the Amusement Park we visit every year. Disney is a Theme Park. I believe therein is the difference. Here's the rides at Cedar Point: http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside_park/rides/allrides.cfm?defimg=1
It has 16 roller coasters, shows, a water park, it's on the beach, several resorts to choose from, and it's within a half hour drive from our house. I guess we're a little spoiled in that we are used to a ton of rides (and rollercoasters). Yeah, I think Cedar Point has spoiled us for any other parks. Plus, we may have enjoyed it more if it wasn't so crowded and so hot all at once. I still believe it wasn't worth the money though. Oh well, you can't please everyone :)

I chose the cheese lasagna at Sleuths because I'm vegetarian and that was their only option. Other dinner shows that I looked at didn't have many if any non-flesh entries.

We really did want to visit Blizzard Beach but it closes at 6 p.m. That's early don't you think? Why would it close so early when the sun doesn't even set until about 9? We passed Wet and Wild and considered going there, but we had already purchased our park hopper tickets to Disney.

I agree that there did seem to be more interesting things to do besides WDW. Maybe in a few years we may return. Like I said, the villa was beautiful. I wanted to bring it home with me. As a matter of fact, my husband jokingly mentioned making the owner an offer to buy it. I'm going to refer my friends if they ever are going to visit that area.

chrizzy100
10-07-2003, 19:28
Disney is a Theme Park not an Amusement Park .....lots of people using Disney can't use roller coasters.....too young....too old.....ill health....etc.....I think the parks in Orlando are gearing up too much now towards people who like roller coasters.....I have to pass tons of rides I can nolonger use because of my bad back....

Food...well I just send it back if I'm unhappy......it is over priced but I go to the themed dinners for the fun of them not the food....
I don't look for anything educational when I take my kids away....unless its to do with the local area.....I like them to have a breakaway from everything if I can....so I've never looked at visiting the countries in Epcot in the way I think you were trying too.....it is just shopping for gifts from the countries.....a nice quiet walk after a busy day.....

You can ask anyone in Disney where you can see the characters at any given time......its also best to visit in spring or fall.....the heat would be too much with so many people in summer for me....I'm sure it makes everyone a little bad tempered......
Orlando and the whole of FL are not just the parks.....there's so much history to the place if you do your homework before leaving.....
I really hope Disney and the other parks add no more rides that are not suitable for everyone....young and old...if I want lots of wild rides....I'll go to an Amusement Park....I'd hate to see Disney and the others turn their parks into something like that.....

esprit
10-07-2003, 20:39
I just looked at Cedar Point and if that is the sort of theme park you like with lots of white knuckle rides, you would have loved Universals Islands of Adventure or Busch Gardens which are much more along those lines than Disney is.

MsRuthieB
10-07-2003, 21:13
I agree. Next time we visit Orlando it'll be either Busch Gardens or Universal Islands of Adventure. Thanks!

Ruth
10-07-2003, 21:19
I am glad you liked Highlands Reserve Ruthie. We share the same name and the same excellent taste in the sort of community we like:D:D

fiona
10-07-2003, 21:38
Sorry some parts of the holiday didn't live up to your expectations Ruthie.

We as a family don't rate Epcot or Animal Kingdom very highly, my girls feel Magic Kingdom is now ok for 1 visit but that's it, but they do still enjoy MGM. However, they really love Universal / IOA so we now buy an annual season ticket and they can go whenever they want while we are over.

I do think the hot weather might have had alot to do with it, last year we just found it too much and lazed our time by the pool, did the water parks, and went to Universal / IOA in the evenings. But the first few times we went to Disney (before we bought our villa) we went in the summer - have to because that's when we have long enough school holidays - and did theme parks non-stop for 2 weeks and then had a week R&R on the coast.

Food - well I don't go to Florida for the food! If we have a good meal it's a pleasant surprise, we now prefer to eat out less often and have better meals. However, if you think the food is bad at the theme parks in Florida (which I think is reasonably good!) you want to try Euro Disney. Appalling, inedible pizzas, sandwiches etc.

And I hesitate to say it, but in the many, many times we have visited Florida the only time we have been inside a museum is on the Gulf Coast! I have been promised a visit to the Dali museum at St Pete's and the Tiffany one at (I think) Winter Haven when we go this Christmas. We regularly take our girls up to the big museums in London and the Art Galleries here, so for hols is hols and it's chill out time. And your own private pool, wonderful facilities on tap, glorious sunshine take an awful lot of beating!!

chrizzy100
10-07-2003, 22:03
I love Universal it really is the best park.....I like Epcot....mostly because they have a few places I love to eat there.....like in Mexico I love the flans........:D

Anything with water rides....not that anyone likes coming on with me....:(

Chris7
11-07-2003, 01:28
Ruthie are you American or British? - I only ask because I think Americans have higher expectations than we do over here. When you pay $70 to fill your tank with gas and arrive at the station to find the train cancelled because "there are leaves on the track" you tend to become more accepting of lifes little foibles.

I didn't rate Epcot much, and I think MK is great if you have young kids as it is worth the admission just to see the look on their faces:D

Your point about putting up a list of which characters are appearing is a good one - why not tell them!

We were anoyed after queing for 20 minutes to get Tweedledee & Tweedledums autographs, and their "minder" said right they have to go for a break now. I suggested to the minder that she could have predicted their time was running out and stopped anyone else from joing the queue. That didn't get me very far, but one of their managers came over and sorted the problem. They genuinely seem very receptive to any ideas which would improve the Disney Experience.

chrizzy100
11-07-2003, 02:03
quote:Originally posted by Chris7

Ruthie are you American or British? - I only ask because I think Americans have higher expectations than we do over here. When you pay $70 to fill your tank with gas and arrive at the station to find the train cancelled because "there are leaves on the track" you tend to become more accepting of lifes little foibles.

I didn't rate Epcot much, and I think MK is great if you have young kids as it is worth the admission just to see the look on their faces:D

Your point about putting up a list of which characters are appearing is a good one - why not tell them!

We were anoyed after queing for 20 minutes to get Tweedledee & Tweedledums autographs, and their "minder" said right they have to go for a break now. I suggested to the minder that she could have predicted their time was running out and stopped anyone else from joing the queue. That didn't get me very far, but one of their managers came over and sorted the problem. They genuinely seem very receptive to any ideas which would improve the Disney Experience.

I want a job as a "minder".....:D

campers moll
14-07-2003, 18:00
We didn't go a bundle of Disney, the best of the bunch was MGM and we'll use our 1 day left on the ticket from 2001 to go and visit again, we especially want to see Phantasm again. MK was a major disappointment to us, but as someone previously said, MK is a theme park not an ammusement park. Hugh crowds for really tacky rides. Vastly vastly overpriced. T shirts being sold for $25 with made in China labels (50p each?) There again, you're paying for the label!

Now Universal and Seaworld :D Going to get another flexi ticket and indulge myself like mad! I could spend the whole fortnight in either of these parks. The kids loved the wet areas, there were no complaints from them when I took them to Woodies in Universal Studios and left all the bigger kids to do terminator (I can't do simulators, get major motion sickness[:I] We sat in 'the wet zone' at Seaworld, My sister sat up at the top and took a picture - there was just a wall of water where we were sitting [:o)] I was soaked all the way through to my knickers :D

Loved Typhoon lagoon and will get some day tickets for that. BB was ok, W&W was ok - abit concretey. Would be nice to see a non Disney typhoon lagoon outside the disney empire.

Has anyone eaten at City Walk? any recommendations?

fiona
14-07-2003, 21:25
Jimmy Buffets is very good, cheeseburger is excellent, and as you would expect, great margaritas!

Kissyme
15-07-2003, 18:02
I have to say that Epcot + AK are our least favorite parks my boys are older and Don`t want to be seen enjoying MK although I think secretly they do and they kind of know that Epcot is supposed to be educational therefore want to avoid it like the plague ! Also if you had the choice of our "Fun" parks almost everything is a good day out

KingKong
15-07-2003, 19:37
Having sampled nearly all the parks i reckon in order of preference,
Universal studios ,IOA,Epcot,MGM.

I think the 1st time visiter has to check out Magic kingdom just to see what all the fuss is about and get a cool piccy of Mickey Mouse.

My 1st time was at xmas so its was amped up towards xmas with all the trimmings etc and i am glad i went but unless i have children in the future i wouldnt return to that park it seems a bit worn out and in need of a full refit where as when 1st entering Uni studios it was the WOW factor straight away and everything looks so new and in pristine condition.

Just my perspective mind

[8D]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-07-2003, 19:51
Just to show the other side of the coin, we much prefer Disney to Universal and like all the 4 Disney parks for different reasons, the Magic Kingdom being our absolute favourite :D.

caroline
15-07-2003, 20:13
It's strange how different eyes see things in a different way - I like Universal, but I think Disney is SOOOOO much cleaner - we love all the Disney Parks and there's just so much to do and see at Magic Kingdom that we always go more than once, I love MGM and Animal Kingdom, Hubby and son love Epcot - but we've never told our son that Epcot is "educational" - so maybe that's why he loves it so much;)

athurstance
15-07-2003, 20:34
Although I love the thrill rides at IOA and Busch you only get that magic at Disney. It is just so unique - a real family place.

Carla
15-07-2003, 20:37
To some extent I think that you change preferences along with your children!! When my two were very much younger they loved all things Disney, but now as teens and beyond, they much prefer Universal, IoA and Busch with Seaworld thrown in for good measure!! They still love the Disney Water Parks and if we go to any Disney park now, as a family, it is always to Epcot, as this has been their favourite since we first took them, years ago. They've never thought of it as educational either!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-07-2003, 20:40
That's one of the things we really love about Disney Angela. No matter how much people go on about this and that being better than Disney, it's the magic that brings us back time after time :D.

When we went to Disneyland Paris they had all the rides (some of which were better than their Florida cousins) but there was absolutely no magic to the place at all - also, if anyone thinks Disney in Florida is expensive they should go to the one in Paris to see what expensive really means :D.

fiona
15-07-2003, 22:05
My teenagers now prefer IoA and Universal, but we're going this Christmas and guess what I was asked last night: "We are going to do Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party aren't we?". So cool as they like to think they are, the Disney magic still rolls on.

We epxect to be taking my niece and nephew soon - aged 9 and 12 - now guess where we will be going!!

KingKong
15-07-2003, 23:44
[8D]
Hmmmmmm if i was given a choice of only ever having 1 more entry into 1 more park in Florida ever ever ever before they are banned for giving humans the feel good factor hmmmmmmm...........(hypothetical of course)

I guess that good old MAGIC would steal it.:D[8D]

(dam still a big kid)[:o)]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-07-2003, 00:38
Us too King Kong - you just can't beat it (and it's home to my absolute favourite ride - the Haunted Mansin :D).

orlandobabe
16-07-2003, 14:35
When you next visit Florida RuthieB why not come and see what else it has to offer.

From December up to late January you can count up to 70 manatees in the Blue Springs just north of Orlando. What a fantastic sight-we went Xmas one year and it was still lovely and warm. They are all identified by the markings on their skins made by boat propellers cutting into them-very sad.

The first weekend in Februaury is the outdoor art fair at Historic Mt Dora-again about an hour from Orlando. We've only managed to catch it once -it was great fun. The things on sale were very affordable-and to this day I still bitterly regret not buying that opal necklace! You can ride the steam train-you might catch a film crew there sometimes. Last time they were shooting an ad for Friendly's restaurant and the director came over and made us so welcome.

If you want a bit of culture-there's the lovely Tiffany glass museum at Winter Park. This is just fabulous-and it takes about 45mins to an hour to do the whole museum-and that's just about right. You can combine this with the boat trip around the lake and look at the many mansions of the rich and famous(Well Walgreens(allegedly have one down there. There's also the squirrel park, shopping and if you feel a bit peckish The Briarpatch does a slice of Carrot Cake that you could sit on.

Downtown Orlando has lovely parks, gardens, museums and theatres if you want something a bit more different.

Then there's all of the beaches on both coasts just an hour to an hour and a half away. We had a great day at Tarpon Springs on the Gulf Coast. I never expected to find a bit of Greece in America. We had a lovely boat trip into the gulf of Mexico where we saw dolphins-all for just $7.

This is just for starters. Combine some of that with a couple of Universal days and your lovely villa and I'm sure you will have a far more rewarding holiday.

tinkerbell
21-07-2003, 17:32
Have to say I agree with Angela here, I'm a huge IOA fan, and just love all the movie rides etc, that the original Universal has to offer, but you can't beat that Disney Magic!!! I'm now planning my xmas trip, and struggling to decide which tickets to buy that will allow me to get my fill of the thrills and magic all in one go!!!

athurstance
21-07-2003, 18:27
I don't know what they have planned for 2003 but we were at IOA for Xmas 2001 and it was absolutely amazing. It was mainly in Whoville but you just have to go there and see. They had Grinchmas and snow was falling throughout Seuss Landing, there was a huge tree where they did Grinch shows and a 'Grinch' mountain for the kids to slide down.
Another must do for me at Xmas is Epcot World Showcase - it is one of the few times when I actually enjoy WS as usually I find it a bit boring.
Also worth doing is touring the resorts - the tree at the GF was amazing and they had a gingerbread house in the lobby.

tinkerbell
21-07-2003, 18:34
Thanks Angela, I can remember seeing a link somewhere on here, to see exactly which resort was doing what for xmas, but maybe it's a little too early to find out yet?! I'm going mad now that I'm off work trying to find out what we can do to make xmas memorable this year!! I went to seaWorld before for xmas 1999, and I was a little disappointed as nothing particularly special was going on, I won't be making the same mistake again this year!

MTP
22-07-2003, 01:54
The tree in the WL was also amazing (as in fact so many of them were), but we loved all the decorations being wilderness things, canoes, tee-pees, etc. I have a photo of it on the other computer so I will try to post it on here. This is also a good trip report that I printed out before our last visit www.mouseplanet.com/wdwupdate/121800.htm I presume from the URL that the report dates to December 2000.

Best wishes,

Euan

tinkerbell
22-07-2003, 13:04
Thanks Euan!!!

tinkerbell
22-07-2003, 18:44
Wow what a report!! I'm definitely going to print it out and take it with me!! it sent shivers down my spine!! How many days til I go.......?!

MTP
23-07-2003, 00:58
We did exactly that, Tinkerbell, I thought the idea of touring the hotels was fantastic. The only thing I would suggest is to try to number the pages. Guess who didn't, got the all muddled and then took ages to sort them all out again. Although I had read most of it, I kept it for Aileen on the plane and it was really exciting to read as you were flying there. This would possibly work well with you going with a few people.

Best wishes,

Euan

tinkerbell
23-07-2003, 15:01
I think we'll have day touring the resorts! Do you know if any of them won't let you stroll in if you are not a guest?? I've only ever been into AK Lodge, and since then I read a post that you won't let you in without ID to say you are a guest. If that's the case everywhere now, then that'd be a day wasted!

MTP
24-07-2003, 01:33
I think as long as you used Disney transportation you would be fine. I have read about ID being required, but I thought that this was only for the swimming pools at busy times (eg at the Yacht and Beach Club). You can get access to get a meal in the resorts even if you are not a guest there, so I don't know how they would police it. Why don't you try e-mailing Disney, they are usually reallly helpful in there responses.

MTP
30-07-2003, 00:25
Got our other computer back from Dell and all seems to be working fine, very impressed with their customer service :).

Anyway I have found the photo, actually it is a couple stitched together. I have tried to reduce it to a reasonable size.

Best wishes,

Euan

/forums/Data/2003729202458_Wilderness Lodge Lobby Reduced.jpg

tinkerbell
30-07-2003, 19:25
Wow what a great picture Euan!! Where is this taken?? Looks like WL??

MTP
31-07-2003, 00:52
That's right, taken with my back to theCanyon Cafe (?) and looking across to reception. I just love the theming in WL and it has a lovely atmosphere to stay in. The kids love the bridge in the lobby to walk over at the point where the spring for the river is.

sammibabe
01-08-2003, 02:48
I felt compelled to agree with some of the others that even if you didn't find Disney enjoyable do not write Florida off totally. As well as the other parks mentioned (Universal, IOA, SW etc.) there is the rest of Florida which is also worth thinking about. We've been to the Everglades and that was fab (pre-children) and the whole family enjoyed Kennedy and seeing a rocket launched was a bonus. Unfortunately a shuttle was supposed to be launched (2001) but it was cancelled.:( West coast Florida is beautiful with gorgeous beaches.
Florida really does have something for everyone but it might not be Orlando (although I think Orlando even has something for everyone)

pbensur
13-08-2003, 18:54
I've been to Cedar Point, Ruthie and I can see where if that is the sort of experience you were expecting from Disney then you would be disappointed. Maybe if you should return in the future and change your perspecitve as you anticipate the experience - it may turn out to be all together different for you and you may appreciate it in ways you never would have expected. There is so much education, awe and wonder to be had (especially for the children) - you may have missed it all in your search for the thrill rides.

(Have you done Six Flags in Aurora, Ohio?? You'd love that if you haven't!)

dhussey2
14-09-2003, 04:02
I agree ... Florida and all of the parks can overwhelm you if you are not careful. We usually choose one or two parks while we are there. The rest of the time we do other things like play miniature golf or visit the beach. Renting Airboats can be fun and relaxing, too.

While on vacation, it's extremely important to make sure that everyone stays relaxed and rested. All day at a park can be a bit much, not to mention every day. The best thing to do, is to rent a villa close enough to the parks that you can come home for lunch, and a swim, maybe even a nap for the little ones (sometimes I take one, too ;)) That way you spend way less money on food and drinks and also stay relaxed.

I would suggest that if you do decide to try Florida again, and I hope you do, take it a little easier. Do less parks and more relaxing. Florida isn't all about parks!

Dianne[:I]

coombsyl
07-10-2003, 16:37
I suppose it would be a boring world if everyone was the same. I love all the parks both Disney and Universal for different reasons. However, I do like having an annual pass so that I can spend half a day if I want to as I sometimes feel a whole day is a bit much (sometimes - not always).

Personally I think it's shame if you feel that you should use every school holiday doing something "educational" as children need some fun and relaxation just the same as adults.

Capricorn
07-10-2003, 17:17
How often did it rain ;)

nicseg
23-12-2003, 23:28
The thing is do your homework. We use a book called " a brits guide to Orlando and walt disney world" by Simon veness. Its worth its weight in gold as it's packed with ways to avoid long queues (lines) how to save money by using a coupon books, and will tell you the best time of year to go. Remember not everyone can stand the heat of August. We have just returned (yesterday) the weather was a very pleasent 65f and we had the parks to ourselves.

Pikey1999
03-01-2004, 02:47
We didn't enjoy WDW last time so we have gone for the 5 park, 14 day pass this time for the 5 we did enjoy. We won't go back to WDW but we that won't stop us going back to Florida. And not just for the parks, check out the rest of the State.[msncool]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-01-2004, 07:54
Hi Paul

Anything specific you did not enkoy about WDW (I'm curious as we love it [msnsmile])?

millie
22-01-2004, 01:34
Sorry you did not have a great time....

I feel the opposite......love Magic Kingdom and prefer WDW to Universal and IOA. In fact if you do not like rollercoasters IOA is quite a boring day! I think if you go to MK expecting a thrill ride per minute you'll be disappointed. You have to go to Disney to experience the magic of it to really apppreciate what it is all about. [8)]

kevinprewett
25-01-2004, 16:47
quote:Originally posted by MsRuthieB

In general, all three parks were overpriced. I mean, $2.50 for a 16 ounce bottle of water? And most adults seemed to have lost all sense of manners when the walk through the main gate. I saw more adults dragging around miserable kids that weren't having any fun than I care to remember. I wish Disney would make a kids section for the shows so that the smaller children can see around the big adults that insist on taking up that space. And adults should be made to stand back a bit during the parades and let the kids up front so they can see. One suggestion I would make is to list which characters appear at which parks on a board at the Main Gate of each park. My little girl spent most of the day at the Magic Kingdom looking for Jasmin only to find out that the only park she visits is Epcot in Morrocco. We spent quite a bit of time in Morrocco when we were there and never saw her. Alladin is at Magic Kingdom but Jasmin never visits?? My daughter was disappointed. One thing I must commend Disney on though. All of their employees are very polite and accomodating. Great attitudes too. Disney's shows are top rate as well. It looks like they try but definitely miss the boat for us.

The Sleuths Mystery Dinner Show was not that great either. The lasagna was runny and cold and the salad was wilted. While we were there we couldn't use the lady's bathroom because the plumbing was working therefore we left early before we even found out 'who dunnnit'. Way overpriced at $128 for 4 people.

The only thing that saved our vacation was the villa we stayed in. We stayed in the Highlands Reserve. Absolutely stunning to say the least! Was very impressed with the community here and the homes themselves. A Publix grocery store is opening this week right around the corner from there as well. I can't say enough good things about my experience with the home we rented. Loved it! And the kids loved the pool! They say that was the best part of the whole trip.

Well, next vacation we've decided to go the educational route and make a trip to Washington, D.C. I don't think we'll be back to Florida anytime soon.

Oh, sorry about the rant. I just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Hey,
so sorry you didn't like disney! But it's not everyones cup of tea- it's just that most folks on here are addicts-just like me & mine!
But don't give up on Fl. it has far more to offer than you may think. I've been going to Fl. since 1979 & never tire of it. If you are interested in trying the other Florida don,t be afraid to ask.

Kevin[msncool]

Pikey1999
17-02-2004, 19:27
quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

Hi Paul

Anything specific you did not enjoy about WDW (I'm curious as we love it [msnsmile])?

Sorry about the delay.
When we went it was October, hot and very little shade.
We had to wait an hour just to go on a child's carousel, which she then decided she didn't want to go on!
The parade was disappointing and to be honest the children didn't know most of the characters. They mainly know the characters from Nickelodeon so Universal Studios is best for them.
Other than that there isn't much I can put my finger on. Guess it was just all that walking and waiting under the sun for not a lot.
It doesn't seem to be a problem at the other parks.

disney dreamin
17-02-2004, 21:49
quote:Originally posted by athurstance

I would tend to agree about the princess breakfast food - we went to the one at MK in the castle. The food was so-so but it is the atmosphere and the chance to meet characters which are not really easily available elsewhere that you are paying for. It was my youngest son's 4th birthday when we went and they gave him a little cake with a candle and had everyone sing happy birthday to him. We saw Prince Charming, Beauty, Cinderella, Fairy Godmother and they all took plenty of time for photos and autographs at each table.

Have to say we just love everything about Disney - but it has taken us a lot of research and years of practice(!) to know where all the characters are.

Just have to ask, how did you go about arranging the cake for your son? We are taking my daughter to the castle for breakfast for her birthday in May and was wondering whether we could arrange for a character to 'give' her a cake.

Thanks
Tracey

brizzle
17-02-2004, 23:38
We did it for my Daughters 4th birthday this last December. We were meant to tell them it was her birthday but totally forgot.
I can only assume the waitress saw her 'It's my Birthday' badge.
I have one embarrassed 4 year old on video....funny seeing her not knowing what to do as all the people around us sang Happy Birthday.
It was a small cake with one candle on but it was *free*, oh and it was about the only thing she ate during the breakfast as she was too excited meeting the each Princess...

Brizzle

Florida_is_no1
28-02-2004, 18:15
I think that the Disney theme parks are better when you have young children, where as the universal theme parks seem to have more 'grown up' rides/attractions. My favourite park is Busch Gardens, although it is in tampa and a bit of a way from orlando it is well worth the drive.

We have been to orlando 4 times now and only visited the disney parks the first time, the other 3 times was just universal parks. We are going again this year in july and have decided to stay a week in orlando, a week in fort myers, then a week in key largo. Cant wait! [msnsmile2].

marion
01-03-2004, 17:12
Just our view we prefer Disney for the young ones and the teens like Universal, What I realy like is that thay are also different to each other the Magic Kingdom being my absolute favourite.

chrizzy100
01-03-2004, 18:04
quote:Originally posted by Florida_is_no1

I think that the Disney theme parks are better when you have young children, where as the universal theme parks seem to have more 'grown up' rides/attractions. My favourite park is Busch Gardens, although it is in tampa and a bit of a way from orlando it is well worth the drive.

We have been to orlando 4 times now and only visited the disney parks the first time, the other 3 times was just universal parks. We are going again this year in july and have decided to stay a week in orlando, a week in fort myers, then a week in key largo. Cant wait! [msnsmile2].

All the parks are much much better without kids of any age......I've done the parks with kids from being age 3 up to 22.....and going without them was the best.....:D

Amirah
01-03-2004, 22:35
Tony's Town Square is cute but it is overpriced and that's why we only did dessert there. Sorry you didn't have a good time. Did you go with any children, that may have helped your experience.

03-03-2004, 23:52
We normally spend Easter and August in the WDW area and with 5 children ages 2, 6, 14, 19 and 20 we all have mixed reviews of the parks.

Little ones love MK and the teens love Universal.

Having said that we normally just do one or two days per trip in the parks.

We are Downtown Disney and City Walk addicts though!

The villa makes the holiday for us.

We just love the area, love the weather, love the atmoshpere and can't wait to buy our own piece of Florida!

TotallyAngelic
04-03-2004, 15:07
I agree with Julie, and love Florida for the weather, service, atmosphere, laid back attitudes (in the Keys) and the exemplary service, where people seem genuinely concerned that you have a good time. I have noticed that everyone you thank in Florida says "you are very welcome" or words to that effect. I have been conducting a personal survey in the UK, and have never heard that response.
As far as the parks go, we have done them all, Disney on our first trip, and then the Universal Parks and Busch Gardens on our second, and I must admit, I love them all for very different reasons! Again, I believe that the magic you feel when you first enter the Magic Kingdom is a feeling you will never emulate anywhere else!

tuzanne
05-03-2004, 23:10
Sorry you didn't enjoy your holiday the first time but come back again with the following advice in mind. Best time to go is October when not so hot and hardly any rain. Hallowen nights great at Universal. My fav park is Universal which has the best rides. Our kids are now teenagers, but we did go when they were small. We used to get up early and be there when the parks opened. We stayed only until 11 am when the parks tended to get crowded and the weather hot. We went back to our villa and relaxed by the pool and got the kids to have a nap. We then went out to eat some where outside the park at very reasonable rates and then went back to the park to see what we missed in the morning. This worked out great as we could not go out in the evening with young kids to pubs etc anyway. Nowadays with teenagers we pick and choose what rides we like and only go on them. Go back when kids a bit older and don't try to do every thing at once, there is just too much. Take rest days between parks and maybe visit a water park.

andy1
05-04-2004, 00:24
Hi, I'm sorry you found your trip to Florida a bit of a let down.Like you we went to Disney on our first visit.It was hectic,overwhelming and tiring,but for the most part enjoyable if you do not take it too seriously.Since then we have been back to Orlando several times,Universal is great but if you are looking for education then as we found once the theme parks were done to death we began exploring the rest of Florida,this is where it realy opens up,great beaches ,wild life parks,fantastic lakes,dolphins a few hundred feet from the beach,if your lucky a shuttle or rocket launch which can be viewed from cocoa beach,talking to the americans on holiday can give ideas about other US towns ,cities or states that may be of interest to you.Hope you go back,