PDA

View Full Version : B2 Visa and a Visa Waiver

Robert5988
01-04-2006, 03:01
I assume the reason people apply for a B2 Visa is either they wish to stay for a period in excess of 90 days on one visit or they are ineligible for a Visa Waiver. I can’t think why people would go to the trouble and expense otherwise.

Does anyone know the answer to the following:

When does the 12 month period(in which 6 months stay is permitted) of a B2 start?
e.g Is it in a calendar year(1st Jan – 31st Dec) a ‘financial year’ (1st April – 31 Mar) or if you first enter on your 10 year B2 on, say, 18th Sept does your 12 month period end on the 17 Sept for that year and subsequent years?

If you ‘use up’ your 6 months in a 12 month period can you enter again in that same 12 month period on a Visa Waiver?

steph_goodrum
01-04-2006, 03:18
I'm pretty certain it is one calendar year from when you first enter but am not 100 per cent certain that the Visa does actually allow 6 months in one year, I though I had seen somewhere that it covered trips of up to 6 months but say you left for 3 months and then went back you could stay for another 6 months but perhaps someone who has one can clarify?

nreece
01-04-2006, 11:22
I'm certain that it's for a calender year.

Its also pretty hard to get, I got a b2 last year and they would not give me it unless I said I was travelling for more than 6 months, I had to prove I had the money to spend whilst travelling ie that I wasn't going to get a job. And then had to prove I had something to come back for.

And then, to make things worse, everytime you fly in and out of the States the immigration people give you a far harder time if you've got a visa, than if you haven't (even if it's expired).

So all in all, my advice would be, that unless you're planning on staying for more than 6 months, don't get one!!

steph_goodrum
01-04-2006, 13:57
Nigel
It's not more than 6 months you need a visa for it's more than 90 days (roughly 3 months).