PDA

View Full Version : Captiva

jo-anne
22-03-2006, 21:43
I've just booked a few days on Captiva Island. Has anyone got any recomendations for restaurants, activities or general info on the island to help me make the most of my stay?
Thanks
Jo-Anne

Katys Grandad
22-03-2006, 22:42
Captiva is a very small island with only 1 road through it. Around half of its area is taken up by the private South Seas resort. It took a real battering from Hurricane Charley and, in my opinion, has lost some of its charm as a result. There are a few restaurants and shops but most of the facilities and services are on Sanibel which you have to drive through to get there. No chain restaurants or awful malls and outlet shops.

If you stay on Captiva there really isn't much to do other than relax to the easy pace of life there. Mind you, there aren't many better places to do just that. The beaches and sunsets are superb.

Boat hire and the odd sea trip are available if that's your thing but I would just enjoy the place and chill.

E. Cosgrove
22-03-2006, 22:44
I'm with you on that one Phil.
It is several years since we were there last, but it really is a wonderful place to simply "chill"[msncool]

Katys Grandad
22-03-2006, 22:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I'm with you on that one Phil.
It is several years since we were there last, but it really is a wonderful place to simply "chill"[msncool]
[/quote]

If you haven't been since Charley Liz i think you'd be surprised by what you now see. My wife and I were quite upset the first time we saw it a few weeks after the hurricane.

Last time we were there (December) it was recovering but it will be an awfully long time before it's back to how it was.

fiona
22-03-2006, 22:47
We've stayed on Sanibel a couple of times but did not actually eat on Captiva, although this place was recommended:

RC Otter’s Island Eats
11506 Andy Rosse Lane, Captiva
(239) 395-1142
You oughta eat at Otter’s! Enjoy great island food, local fun and affordable prices with casual and comfortable surroundings. Serving the freshest seafood dishes, voodoo steaks and chops, creative pasta, and the largest vegetarian and kids’ menu anywhere. Over 180 menu items. Happy Hour daily. Takeout available. Call-ahead seating available. Live music every day and night. Tropical indoor and outdoor dining. Open 8am ’til close. Game room with pool table, air hockey and over 10 other arcade machines. Children and adults welcome.

Don't know about these two, but they sound worth a look:

Green Flash
15183 Captiva Drive
Captiva (239) 472-3337
Offering a carefully chosen variety of recipes, specializing in seafood, steak and pasta, all served with a continental flair. The food is equaled only by the breathtaking view of Pine Island Sound for a perfect dining experience. All major credit cards accepted.

Keylime Bistro
11509 Andy Rosse Lane
Captiva (239) 395-4000
The Keylime Bistro is Captiva’s newest, most refreshing and colorful addition to the island restaurant scene. News Press’s Jean Le Boeuf loves Keylime Bistro’s Fun Food and Spirits; rating in all three categories 3 1/2 out of a possible four stars. Voted 1st Place “Best Island Dining” in the News Press Readers’ Poll. Since opening, the Bistro has captivated new regulars with its friendly atmosphere and live entertainment seven days a week. Aside from offering an eclectic, innovative and contemporary menu, the Bistro boasts a less formal ambiance with an uncompromised level of cuisine. Chef’s Auction - “1st Place, People’s Choice.” Taste of the Islands - “1st Place, Best Desserts.” Try their Sunday Jazz Brunch, 10am-4pm. Offering a [bad language filtered out] Mary Bar during Sunday Jazz Brunch.

We've done both the boat trips - don't do the one that is a nature walk, eaten alive with mozzies, other island had an Indian museum which was v interesting to look round.

Dolphins raced the boats there and back, and we saw manatees in the harbour, great day out. I have some old pics somewhere I will dig out and post.

Cruise to Exotic Island Destinations
Captiva Cruises (239) 472-5300
Take a lunch cruise to one of three nearby island destinations. Cruise to the seaside village of Boca Grande on Gasparilla Island and have lunch at one of the many restaurants. Departs at 10am. Travel to the secluded historic islands of Cabbage Key and Useppa, and visit their waterfront restaurants. Departs at 10am. Vessels may also be chartered for private luncheons or dinners. Reservations are required.

jo-anne
23-03-2006, 22:20
Thank you everyone
We intend to simply chill out for a few days so it sounds perfect.
Jo-Anne