PDA

View Full Version : i'm soon to be resident in Florida!

uknurse
07-07-2003, 01:01
hi, my name is Selina. i am planning to move to florida permenantly in 2005 with my family. we are coming to Orlando 29th july - 19th august this year. i know many of you live in the UK and come to Florida for holidays but it would be great to chat to some of you about your experiences. if any of you actually live in Florida permenantly it would be great to hear from you. selina.

Matt
07-07-2003, 01:18
Selina, you luck lucky devil you. You'll have some very upset owners being real jealous of you now for letting us now your news.

You will just so love it.

I'm sure that you will get a lot more responses, including those who are already in Orlando/Florida.

All the very best of luck.

Matt

PS. of course I'm not jealous.....well maybe a little.....OK well more than a little.....in fact I'm positively green with envy....hmmm, maybe I could get a job as the HULK at Universal...I'll look into that:D

esprit
07-07-2003, 01:30
I am moving out to live there in the next week or so with my husband and son on a business visa. Are you going out on a nursing visa?

uknurse
07-07-2003, 01:36
yes i'm sure people will be jealous of me getting a green card but let me assure you i think i deserve it. my husband and i have wanted to move to the US for many years and as you all know there are very few ways you can do it. one way is to become a nurse and be sponsered and thats what i've done. i spent three years at university to train to become a nurse and have spent the last year working in the dreaded NHS to get the experience i needed to be sponsered. i now have to take the NCLEX nursing exam to become registered in the USA and once i've passed that i have to wait another 12-18 months for all the green card etc to be processed. in total thats 6 years of my life! so as you can see it was not handed to me on a plate. i knew that this was the only way i could get a green card so i went and did it. i just have to pass the exam and i'm really home and dry. wish me luck and i'll see you there!

orlandobabe
07-07-2003, 02:36
So that's what we need to do-Julie you didn't tell us that:D

chrizzy100
07-07-2003, 02:39
quote:Originally posted by uknurse

yes i'm sure people will be jealous of me getting a green card but let me assure you i think i deserve it. my husband and i have wanted to move to the US for many years and as you all know there are very few ways you can do it. one way is to become a nurse and be sponsered and thats what i've done. i spent three years at university to train to become a nurse and have spent the last year working in the dreaded NHS to get the experience i needed to be sponsered. i now have to take the NCLEX nursing exam to become registered in the USA and once i've passed that i have to wait another 12-18 months for all the green card etc to be processed. in total thats 6 years of my life! so as you can see it was not handed to me on a plate. i knew that this was the only way i could get a green card so i went and did it. i just have to pass the exam and i'm really home and dry. wish me luck and i'll see you there!

I'm a Brit living in the USA....MASS right now.... Orlando full time in around 3 years ...but I'll have a home there from Christmas..I have a few English nurses coming to stay with me while they work in Orlando....sort of bed and breakfast thing.....ones been working towards moving to Orlando for years..now his wife and kids want to stay in England.....so I've offered him a room if he wants to work here for just 6 months or so at a time....and for any other nurses doing the same thing.....

esprit
07-07-2003, 13:20
Its a bit of a long trek, OB, but yes it is one way to a green card. Sunnybank was thinking of training to be a nurse at one time. They also need physios and that is what my son is thinking of doing.

yun
06-09-2003, 22:40
Why you guys( UK ) so wanted to living here (US-Florida). Just wondering is that better living in Florida ? and what the reason ? I 'd like to move there too, but wan't to make sure first..it's that worth it (before I moved)?

sunshine state
07-09-2003, 02:20
Yes you could say that its a completely different life in England its cold and boring and rubbish theme parks but out there it has alot more to offer and is just great.

yun
07-09-2003, 05:10
But people say it's too hot & humid in the summer time and the bugs, hurricanes, flood? Compare it with California...Why you guys not choose there ?[:I]

esprit
07-09-2003, 07:43
Wouldnt mind living in California either but the property values are much more expensive there. In Florida you can buy a lovely house much cheaper than in either the UK or California.

chrizzy100
07-09-2003, 08:04
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Wouldnt mind living in California either but the property values are much more expensive there. In Florida you can buy a lovely house much cheaper than in either the UK or California.

Very true about house prices....when we thought we may have to move to CA....we found out that the same house with the same builder would cost us $150k+ more in CA than FL.....

blott
07-09-2003, 14:56
California's also got earthquakes and landslides and I'd rather have heat, humidity, bugs, etc, etc than an earthquake any time!

yun
07-09-2003, 23:39
I agree with the property cost. But earthquake is nothing in CA..I mean it's pretty harmfull. The building has been built for earthquake proof.
[:I]

yun
07-09-2003, 23:48
Just want to edit..I mean earthquake in CA is harmless...not harmfull. People sometimes just stay sleeping while it comes.

Is anyone have experience how it feel being in Orlando at hurricanes season ? It's really bad or..harmless. And how about flood..is anyone has experience with water in their livingroom ? Tell me about it. I really want to buy property in Orlando or Kissimee area..but don't like the flood and Hurricane blast my house.[:I]

chrizzy100
08-09-2003, 00:27
quote:Originally posted by yun

Just want to edit..I mean earthquake in CA is harmless...not harmfull. People sometimes just stay sleeping while it comes.

Is anyone have experience how it feel being in Orlando at hurricanes season ? It's really bad or..harmless. And how about flood..is anyone has experience with water in their livingroom ? Tell me about it. I really want to buy property in Orlando or Kissimee area..but don't like the flood and Hurricane blast my house.[:I]

You can get things happen to you home in most parts of the USA...and central FL gets away lighter than the coast in hurricane season....floodings not a yearly thing....I think the last time was....1992...I'm not sure....the trouble now is with new houses built on lowland and near water catchment ponds.....a good realtor would be able to tell you where there could be flooding.....and if you get a good builder....he would of made sure he never touched land that would flood.....but not all builders are good.....so a good realtor is a must.....

dhussey2
08-09-2003, 20:57
HI,

We live in Maine and only visit our home in Florida. Like England, Maine is cold and boring, too. The winters last forever. We are thinking about retiring in Florida in about 15-20 years. My husband works for the department of defense but will be retiring soon. I am a teacher, but I can teach anywhere. And we would love to take care of our own home someday. Only one more kid at home (15 years) and we are home free!!!

One nice things about Maine, though ... no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no poisonous mosqitoes or snakes, no alligators, only an very rare tornado ... sounds good. If only it wasn't for those long, cold winters. It feels like a deep freeze.

Dianne [:I]

chrizzy100
08-09-2003, 21:02
quote:Originally posted by dhussey2

HI,

We live in Maine and only visit our home in Florida. Like England, Maine is cold and boring, too. The winters last forever. We are thinking about retiring in Florida in about 15-20 years. My husband works for the department of defense but will be retiring soon. I am a teacher, but I can teach anywhere. And we would love to take care of our own home someday. Only one more kid at home (15 years) and we are home free!!!

One nice things about Maine, though ... no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no poisonous mosqitoes or snakes, no alligators, only an very rare tornado ... sounds good. If only it wasn't for those long, cold winters. It feels like a deep freeze.

Dianne [:I]

We get hurricanes on the Cape....I'm hoping not to see one while we live here....but it gets very windy at times....and it floods in places.....I just find it boring here in the summer not being able to leave because of the traffic....so I can't wait to move to FL....:D

pbensur
09-09-2003, 05:16
Very cold and long winters here in PA too! We were in Maine in June, Dianne and had a lovely visit!! We spent 4 days in Kennebunkport - beautiful place!!