PDA

View Full Version : Where to go next year?

paul357
15-03-2006, 17:36
In the past couple of years we have visited the gulf coast. Firstly a couple of day trips clearwater, then last year 4 days at st pete's beach. Next year we want to go back again and spend at least a week at the beach

The things I liked were;

The sand at Clearwater (finer sand than St Pete’s).
The hotels on the beach at St Pete’s (we stayed at the holiday inn).
The shops and restaurants at John's Pass Village (Maderia Beach)
Being able to hire deck chairs and sun umbrella’s on the beach.

I would be happy to go back to either place but would like to try further down the coast as well if it has anything else to offer. We loved being able to walk from our room straight out to the beach, spending the morning to mid afternoon playing with the kids/ reading under a sun umbrella. Then mid afternoon going shopping or visiting a local attraction, then eating out early evening (John's Pass Village was great for both).

Is there anywhere else that ticks all the same box’s, and are there any good websites where you can see what the area is like?

I’d especially be interested in places that have suites or sofa beds for the kids

Thanks in advance!

becbecs
15-03-2006, 17:44
Hi Paul

We have been to Longboat Key, Sarasota

The Hilton

Absolutley fabulous beaches. Restaurants up and down the Key serving some superb food.

This is place is Paradise, probably just like the rest of the Gulf coast.

This is a great place to unwind and Relax. Also has lots of things to do also.

Longboat Key Sarasota answers all 4 of your questions.

Lynne S
15-03-2006, 17:46
Hi Paul,

Why not hire a condo or villa in one of the wonderful coastal area's. This would give you much more room than a hotel and still the freedom to eat out.
We stayed at Indian shores in a 3 bed condo last year and loved every minute of it.

There are some great homes on the sites above try a general enquiry and see what comes back.[msnsmile2]

paul357
15-03-2006, 17:57
I may consider a condo or villa, but we did love the hotel right on the beach, even though the lack of room was a problem.

I could do a few days right on the beach, then move to a villa for a week or so to do a bit of travelling.

Once I have a list of things we want to do I'll check to see who has property in the area

Macka
15-03-2006, 18:00
Hi Paul,

Can agree with the Gulf coast keys around Sarasota, they really are one of my favourite places on the earth. We're off to Florida tomorrow (sorry, just had to get that in again) and we'll be doing Rotonda, further down the coast, I'll post a trip report in a few weeks but there's a few that have been down there on the site and they do say it's very nice indeed. You'll be spoilt for choice anyway. Good luck.

Lynne S
15-03-2006, 19:25
Hi Paul,

We only had to cross the road to get onto Indian Shores beach,from the condo we stayed in. But I'm sure there are properties right on the beach[msnwink]

You'll have a great time whatever you decide.[8D]

LiesaAnna
15-03-2006, 19:40
never been there but your certainly making me wish i was there now!!
will have a think about this and maybe look into staying there for a few days next visit, sounds like a dream!

chrizzy100
15-03-2006, 19:42
Properties on the beach are going to cost big time....I'm not much of a beach person...but we went to Vero beach and parked for our walk in a hotel car park...I loved the fact that the rooms of the hotel opened up to the beach...and plan on many weekend stays when we move to FL...my friends have a condo nearby...but its not the same as hearing the sea on a morning and having that early morning walk without the drive....a holiday in a villa and then a beach front hotel would seem to be the best of both world...you could get help with the hotel from the many hotel forums online....

chrizzy100
15-03-2006, 20:48
I don't know if you've looked but there is a lovely apartment on SUGAR GULF SANDS for rent on this site...I love it...I have no idea where Suger Gulf Sands is...but I love the apartment ...

Disney Dreamer
15-03-2006, 21:12
Hi Paul,

We went to Naples last summer and had a fantastic time. We stayed in a villa which is our preference over a hotel. Naples itself is very beautiful and quite upmarket with loads to do and is an ideal base for visiting places like the Everglades, Fort Myers, Sanibel & Captiva and the fabulous Marco island. The beaches are idyllic and plenty of waterways to explore if you want to hire a boat or indeed go on an organised trip. We sat on the beach and watched the dolphins playing in the water, it was just so captivating. This was paradise for us and we wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. Just can't wait to go back!

Angela

Lynne S
15-03-2006, 22:41
Chrizzy, I think the advert just means the Gulf sands are like sugar and not the name of a place.
The apartment you are talking about is on Madeira Beach, near John's pass. A great location:)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I don't know if you've looked but there is a lovely apartment on SUGAR GULF SANDS for rent on this site...I love it...I have no idea where Suger Gulf Sands is...but I love the apartment ...
[/quote]

stabard
15-03-2006, 23:35
Have to say for us it is a villa all the time over a hotel. So much more room and fabulous amenities.
This new year will be our first time staying there for a few days and have booked a home in the Sarasota area. Really looking forward to a change of pace after 10 days at our place.

E. Cosgrove
16-03-2006, 00:09
There are some fabulous gulf coast villas on this site with fantastic water views. I would sacrifice the beach every time to stay in one of these beautiful homes.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
16-03-2006, 00:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jadehouse
Chrizzy, I think the advert just means the Gulf sands are like sugar and not the name of a place.
The apartment you are talking about is on Madeira Beach, near John's pass. A great location:)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have no idea about the FL coast...silly me....it looks a lovely place....[msneek][msneek]

Ruth
16-03-2006, 02:57
We have stayed at Port Charlotte, Cape Haze and Rotonda on several occasions. The area is absolutely fabulous and we preferred it over Sarasota and Clearwater as it is much quieter and there is loads of wildlife. We go back again in the summer, as well as spending time in Orlando, and we feel we get the best of both worlds. I would not want to stay in a hotel though, and would rather be a short drive from the beach and have a private villa with all the space and amenities it offers at excellent value [8D]

julieanne
16-03-2006, 12:32
Don't think you can go wrong anywhere along the Gulf Coast - it's all lovely :)

linda allen
16-03-2006, 13:31
Sanibel Island is beautiful too.
We have also stayed at Siesta Key at Sarasota and rented a town home on the marina, just 3 minutes walk to the beach. It was really beautiful.

solanasunshine
16-03-2006, 13:55
We want to stay at Rotunda sometime in the next couple of years and I have to say that we're going to be spoilt for choice with all the lovely villas which advertise on here. They are all so beautiful!
Can't say that I would want to stay in a hotel - our son would never forgive us if he didn't have his own private swimming pool![msnwink]

Robert5988
16-03-2006, 16:50
Location, Location, Location!

Surely if you are having a beach holiday you want to be on the beach, to be able to wander back and forward to your accomodation without have to pack a car and drive to and from the beach. To be able to go for a walk on the beach before breakfast or after dinner.

In general terms I prefer a villa to a hotel - unless it is a top class hotel - but close proximity(and I mean close) to the beach is the main priority.

The ideal would be a villa right on the beach; but the rental for these can be many thousands of dollars a week.

Ray&Sarah
16-03-2006, 20:34
We love the gulf coast and stayed at a lovely villa there a few years ago, mush prefer a villa to a hotel as its just so much more comfortable for our family. Although I am not a big beach fan, my boys are, so it was lovely to be able to go to the beach but also have our own pool to go back too and always manage to get a sun lounger to sit on.[msnwink][msnsmile2]

paul357
17-03-2006, 18:09
Thanks for all the replies, I saw the advert for the condo at mederia after I posted this. That actually looks great as its on the beach, and st johns pass is a great place to go to in the early evening.

I definately want to be on the beach as this just made the holiday even better. Not having to pack the car and drive made it much more relaxing.

I did want to try somewhere else if possible. Idealy a beach location near some atractions would be great.

With young kids we need some attraction things to do as well, and some nice, but simple resturants (They are fussy eaters!)