PDA

View Full Version : Carp fishing

gazmc
12-03-2006, 02:30
Hello all, i am hopefully coming to florida in september again.
I know that in america carp are really treat as vermin fish but does anybody know of any where or anyone who does fishing trips for them in or around orlando.

Thanks for your time ,

Gary

Macka
13-03-2006, 15:03
Gary,

I've been fishing in Florida for twenty years and have never seen or heard of a carp being caught anywhere I've spoken to many local fishermen and I don't remember anyone mentioning carp.

If you find any let me know I'll have a go for them myself.[msnsmile2]

blott
13-03-2006, 16:13
Carp aren't native to Florida but there is one species called the Chinese Grass carp which has been imported to some inland waterways to control vegetation in some areas.

Florida, and especially the Orlando area, is more famous for its big mouth bass and anglers come from all over the USA to fish for these.

Macka
13-03-2006, 16:21
I know Blott and I'm embarrassed to say I've never caught one yet.

(can't be doing with spinning you see)

Caught lots of catfish though.[msnsmile2]

blott
13-03-2006, 16:40
A couple of sets of our guests reported that they've caught a 6lb+ big mouth bass in one of our lakes (as per our OV advert) so perhaps you've not been to the right place Paul? [msnwink]

Macka
13-03-2006, 16:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
A couple of sets of our guests reported that they've caught a 6lb+ big mouth bass in one of our lakes (as per our OV advert) so perhaps you've not been to the right place Paul? [msnwink]
[/quote]

No Blott I'm sure it's not down to location, I've fished lake Davenport for years, it's a lack of technique and inclination I fear.[msnscared]

gazmc
26-03-2006, 23:55
Thanks for the info macka and blott.The reason i asked is because the last time i was in orlando about 8 years ago i called into a shop to buy some reels to bring home and the assistant showed me a photo of one of his friends that had what i thought was common carp upto about 20lb in weight that he had killed with his crossbow.I was taken aback and shocked by the number of fish in the photo and didn't ask him if anybody actually fished for them or were they just hunted like vermin.
I will make some enquiries when i am over there.

Gaz

Anthony Brook
14-01-2007, 21:55
I have done a bit of research on this. There are carp in Florida but as stated above they are grass carp and are on the waterways mainly up near the Panhandle. Well worth catching though as they are up to 70lb+

Robert5988
14-01-2007, 22:20
Florida has some of the best fishing in the World(salt water) - and you fish for carp[?]

andrewmckay5
14-01-2007, 22:26
Take a look at the picture on page 6 from our residents association news letter in Rotonda!

http://www.rotondawest.org/Newsletter/WestWayssJan-Feb2004.pdf

Robert, you could fish for these in the morning then a short drive to Boca Grande in the evening for some Tarpon!

andrew

Robert5988
15-01-2007, 01:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Take a look at the picture on page 6 from our residents association news letter in Rotonda!

Robert, you could fish for these in the morning then a short drive to Boca Grande in the evening for some Tarpon!
[/quote]

My place is right on the beach so I fish every day.(out again on Sunday) I've hooked several tarpon but never landed one as they snap the 20lb line I use like its cotton. I slackened the drag right off once and it took 200 yds of line in seconds. In comparison carp are like hooking a wet pillow!!

I keep promising myself a trip to fish the pass at Boca Grande - thats the best tarpon fishing, probably in the world.

florida4sun
15-01-2007, 01:15
Have fished the pas at Boca Grande but it can get crowded, the best Tarpon fishing ever is from a light boat in Key West just follow the causeway. Fly fishing is great fun but you have no chance of landing one. In one day we hooked over 10 fish well over 100lb each. A good guide is a must for catching big ones as they follow particular patterns.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Take a look at the picture on page 6 from our residents association news letter in Rotonda!

[/quote]

My place is right on the beach so I fish every day.(out again on Sunday) I've hooked several tarpon but never landed one as they snap the 20lb line I use like its cotton. I slackened the drag right off once and it took 200 yds of line in seconds. In comparison carp are like hooking a wet pillow!!

I keep promising myself a trip to fish the pass at Boca Grande - thats the best tarpon fishing, probably in the world.[/quote]

Anthony Brook
16-01-2007, 20:50
I will have to give tarpon fishing a go. I have heard for their weight they are the hardest fighting fish in the world.
Seem to remember John Wilson and Chris Tarrent fishing for them on TV and being dragged in their boat by one[msnoo]
Don't think this is the season for them at the moment but I have read of a few being caught these last few weeks.
Have booked myself on a bass fishing trip on the 29th of this month as I beleive this to be the best fishing in Florida at this time of year (due to the low sea temps. etc.) I may be wrong but its just what I have read and would have giving bass fishing a go at some stage anyway.
I think there is only the Captain and me on his boat so not so cheap unless somebody else books, although they only take 2 out maximum!

Anthony Brook
15-06-2007, 23:02
Ok its 6 months on since the above was posted and have now been Bass fishing on The Chain Of Lakes up near Bay Hill. It was freezing (33f) and really struggled but my guide kept me at it and eventually had some success.
Just come back from Flroida today and went Tarpon fishing in Boca Grande. It was really busy and we were caught up in a tournament with the TV cameras there. Hooked a few and boy do you know when you have hooked one. There is a knack to it though and where you strike with the rod usually you don't with Tarpon you reel like crazy to hook it. The only other thing to remember is to lower your rod and point it at the fish if it makes a jump. This gives you enough slack in the line so the fish can't shake its self off.
Also did a bit of fishing on the canal at Rotonda for Grass Carp. Saw a few cruising and nearly hooked one on floating bread. They were quite big, I would guess 25lb-30lb and the one that came up for my bait was going on for 3ft in length.
Only managed to hook loads of Bluegills, Catfish and the same Aligator - twice (it became a nuisance). All in all I think over the past 15 years I have now sampled all of Floridas fishing and would recommend the Tarpon fishing. It is expensive though as you need to be in a boat to have a chance of landing them as you chase them around the bay for ages when hooked. Never tried it but I would think if you hooked one from land it would just run until it had all your line and then snap you.

Robert5988
16-06-2007, 03:59
You can get tarpon on the beach; this is a small one with a friend, I have never landed one though - hooked plenty. This and the Shark were in front of my place.

A 1,300lb Hammerhead was landed from the beach with rod and line, made all the local papers.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/robert5988/2007615235441_tarpon1.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/robert5988/2007615235547_sandbarShark.jpg

Anthony Brook
17-06-2007, 14:29
Great pictures! Many people looking would think that Tarpon was huge but you are right it is a small one for down there. I wouldn't say no to landing it though. I bet it still gave a hell of a fight.
Where abouts is your place?

Robert5988
17-06-2007, 16:19
I am on the barrier island, 20 miles or so South of Cape Canaveral - near Melbourne.