PDA

View Full Version : Sanford v Orlando airports

sharon
05-07-2003, 13:52
Hello. Ive been to Orlando twice before and the arrival airport was Sanford. This time we are arriving at Orlando. Can you tell me if this is better or worse for us!! Sanford was an easy airport to get in and out of and driving to central Orlando was quite relaxed. I am quite nervous about coming out of the airport directly into hectic traffic, is this the case?
Thank you

blott
05-07-2003, 14:26
Oh, don't worry. The drive from Orlando International is less than from Sanford and the traffic's fine! It takes us less than 30 mins to get to our home but ask your home owner for driving directions from Orlando International so that you know exactly where you're going. I've never met any hectic traffic yet on numerous trips...

If you want to have a look at the airport, maps, etc then check out http://fcn.state.fl.us/goaa/

When you arrive at Orlando, check out the fountain or Christmas tree in the middle of the airport, it's absolutely fantastic!

esprit
05-07-2003, 14:52
I personally prefer Sanford or even Tampa to Orlando International. The whole procedure of immigration and picking up your suitcases and car seems much more of a hassle at Orlando. If you take the Beeline and then 1-4,it is more hectic though as Blott says it is a shorter journey.

Gillian-B
06-07-2003, 02:53
I think that Orlando International is a great airport, but agree with Julie that the procedure of picking up suitcases is more burdonsome. Personally, we haven't had any trouble with immigration (yet ;)) and now that most car hire companies are on site (you only need walk 20 yards or so outside the airport to the carpark to pick up the car), it is much easier than it used to be when you had to get a courtesy bus to the depot.

The route that seems to be generally recommended for getting to the Kissimmee area is the 417 - it is usually very quiet.

Have a great time, and don't worry about the drive. If you've done it from Sanford, it'll be no problem.

Gillian

Matt
06-07-2003, 18:21
I've only ever flown into MCO and think it is great. I always get pulled up at Customs though[:I] I guess that is because usually I'm travelling alone.

The only thing I don't like (or understand come to that) is why after you have passed immigration and customs, that you have to go through the security checks as if you are about to fly out somewhere!! Any ideas on this one. I mean surely they know that youv'e already been through all of this at the departure airport, and all youv'e done in the meantime is sit on a plane for 9 hrs!! Strange....

I must admit though, that I usually fly Premium or Upper, and so always one of the first of the plane, I run down to immigration, usually have my bags going round the belt before I get there, and then get to the next security point as quickly as possible. I can imagine that for those who are seated at the back of the plane, the waits can be a long time at immigration and through the second security check.

But as for driving out of the airport, well its always been fine for me, and simple, even if you do take a route that you didn't mean to, your more or less safe just by staying the way you are going and following Disney signs.....I've had to do that more than once in the past[:o)]

Don't worry, its no big deal

Matt

Carla
07-07-2003, 15:36
I can't understand that second security check either Matt. It was only introduced after 9/11, and seems to be a completely over the top reaction to what happened in New York. I have queued there for nearly half an hour (waiting on the escalators!!). Like you say, apart from getting off a plane and going through immigration and customs, we haven't been anywhere else!! This is one example of security gone mad!!