PDA

View Full Version : Splendid China

tonygee
04-07-2003, 11:50
We just spent a 'full' day at Splendid China off Irlo Bronson Highway (RTE 172), in Osceola County {just South of Disney World}. Since we are locals (taking our vacation here with the rest of the world), we picked up the tickets at AAA just West of 436 on Colonial in Orlando.
It was about 10:00 a.m. when I paid for the tickets. Much to my surprise, the ticet agent told me that dinner at 4:30 would be included in addition to a 90 minute music, dance and acrobatic show. The price for two tickets was just over $43!!!!!
My wife and I enjoyed the park immensely. She took snapshots with her HP digital; while I ran through 4 rolls of Fuji 35 on my little Nikon. To top the day off, we got caught in a cloudburst (typical for this time of year) at just about 3 p.m.
My rating for the park is just a little over O.K. Things seem to be deteriorating. It almost looks like they are planning to close it in the not too distant future. Having said that......the miniatures and replicas of builidings, tomb sites, natural geologic sites, and other miniatures is absolutelly fantastic!
Be ready .... really ready..... to walk. There is a tram which comes around every ten minutes until 5 p.m. It is an absolute necessity; especially in the rain. On the other hand, shelters are very plainly marked on the map.
The brochure states that it takes 'about' 4 hours to see the park. That depends very much on how fast you walk, how many pictures you take, how many stops you make to either read or listen to the esplanations of exhibits, and of course, the ambient tamperature and humidity.
The meal was fine. The shows were 'off the wall good'. For the price, I have not had so much fun in a long time.
Our local vacation is coming to a close shortly. Tomorrow we will check out a museum in Winter Park we want to see. Then on Sunday, we will be going to Cocoa with our son (24) to see Kennedy Space Center. We visited there almost twenty years ago as tourists from Richmond, Va. On the way home to Orlando, we will stop off at Dixie Crossings for dinner. You must go. The seafood is fresh and plentiful. They turn over quite a bit of fish on a daily basis. You will not be disappointed.
That's it for now. Hope to have more for you in the near future.
Saludos ............. Tonygee