PDA

View Full Version : expired passport that still has a valid Visa

CCollins
03-03-2006, 22:46
My husbands passport has expired, he has got a new one so thats not an issue. The problem is, his valid visa which expires Sept 2006 is in the old passport.

As the visa has not been damaged and the page that it is on has not been clipped, does he just take both passports with him when travelling to Florida?

The embassy website is not much help?

florida4sun
03-03-2006, 22:47
I think he can but would recommend you get an official reply to be safe. I did travel to the usa under the same circumstances.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CCollins
My husbands passport has expired, he has got a new one so thats not an issue. The problem is, his valid visa which expires Sept 2006 is in the old passport.

As the visa has not been damaged and the page that it is on has not been clipped, does he just take both passports with him when travelling to Florida?

[/quote]

chrizzy100
03-03-2006, 23:28
My daughter had an old life time visa in her old passport and carried her new and old one...but rules change so I'd try to get more up to date info...

Michelle
04-03-2006, 04:47
If Visa still valid yes he takes both passports.

Daglish
04-03-2006, 20:17
Both myself and Philip have got visas in old passports. We just take both the expired and current passports with us. Have done this a number of times and not had any problems, however don't know what the exact rules are.

carolmc
04-03-2006, 21:56
We have travelled using both passports for the past three years - still have 5 yrs to go on the visa in the old, expired passport.

SDJ
06-03-2006, 01:48
We also travelled with both passports for many years.

Sandra

CorFL
07-03-2006, 04:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CCollins

[/quote]You have to travel to the US with TWO passports until the visa expires, you won't get a new one from tha embassy before that time...

Hope this helps (a bit) [msnsmile]

Ray9
16-03-2006, 22:10
Look for the word VIOPP in your new passport after coming in ...

CorFL
17-03-2006, 20:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray9
[/quote]

VIOPP??

Stands for??

tezz7628
18-03-2006, 00:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CorFL
[/quote]

VIOPP??
Stands for??
[/quote]

visa in other passport

heard of it but typed it into google to get answer also coming up with something on phones as well [msnwink]

rogerdunnaker
30-12-2009, 01:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CorFL
[/quote]

VIOPP??
Stands for??
[/quote]

visa in other passport

heard of it but typed it into google to get answer also coming up with something on phones as well [msnwink]
[/quote]

On phones it's VOIP, that is voice over internet protocol.

Sniff
30-12-2009, 12:27
I really do recommend making use of the CBP FAQ pages. It provides official answers to literally hundreds of common questions like these:

In this case, a quick search for the keywords "visa", "old" and "passport" immediately brought up this page:

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=826&p_created=1091819820&p_sid=xHiueJQj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=752&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9ODgsODgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZ wX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXZpc2Egb2xkI HBhc3Nwb3J0&p_li=&p_topview=1

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:If your visa is in a passport that has expired or will expire within 6 months of the end of your U.S. visit, you will need to get a new passport. However, you do not need to apply for a new visa. Just bring both your new passport and your old passport with the valid visa to present to the CBP officer when you arrive in the U.S. The U.S. has an agreement with certain countries exempting their citizens from the requirement that their passports be valid for up to six months past the end of their U.S. visit. Please contact the U.S. Embassy in your country of citizenship to determine if you are exempt from this requirement.[/quote]

The CBP Customer Service Page can be found here:

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/home.php?p_sid=xHiueJQj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=826&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9ODgsODgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZ wX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJ nBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dmlzYSBvbGQgcGFzc3B vcnQ!&p_srch=1

The link to the FAQ is right at the top, but there is lots of other useful info here.

Clare R
30-12-2009, 12:39
I travel with two passports. An expired one with a Visa valid until June 2014 and my current passport. The only time the Visa is looked at is at Immigration on arrival in USA, nobody else is needing to deal with it.

SDJ
30-12-2009, 16:34
You can still travel with your old passport with the visa in and your new passport. We are doing it today.

Sandra

lafifille
30-12-2009, 18:34
It's interesting to know that you get to keep your old passport when you apply for a new one. We have to give it back

Clare R
30-12-2009, 19:29
I have about four passports as well as my current one !

KJH
30-12-2009, 21:17
I have a multiple visit, indefinite expiration visa in my old passport, does this mean I can take it with me and it will be valid?

Clare R
30-12-2009, 22:23
I doubt it frankly. I have a friend with an indefinite expiration Visa and he found it was not worth the paper it is written on now. US Embassy the only people who can give you the definitive answer.