PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Giving

burgessfamily
03-07-2003, 13:30
:)Hi
Has anyone got any sugestions on where I could take 4 adults and 1 child of 4 years and a baby of 4 months for dinner on Thanks Giving.
We are coming over in Nov and are lucky enough to be here for Thanks.
Will there be anywhere open or does Florida shut down on this day.
Thank you for help that you can give us

Burgessfamily

blott
03-07-2003, 14:33
Hi Burgessfamily

Welcome to the forum.

Well, having been in Florida a couple of times on Thanksgiving, you might find your eating out choices a bit limited. We asked around to all the restaurants we visited in the previous week in the 192 area and could only find Perkins that said they would be open, so that's where we ended up on Thanksgiving night.

It is a very quiet day and there are lots of shops, etc that close for the day. Theme parks will be open of course as will their dining facilities.

Watch out for the day afterwards (Friday) as this is when the sales start at some ridiculous hour like 6 am (you'll see all the adverts on the TV)! The world and his wife goes out bargain hunting and, if you want to join in, you'd better get your elbows sharpened! We made the mistake of going to Best Buy (an electrical store on Orange Blossom Trail) and there were police patrol cars trying to sort out the traffic jam in the car park and traffic generally was very heavy, particularly to shopping areas like Florida Mall. Having said that, there are some great bargains, especially to bring home for Christmas presents!

Have a great time...

fiona
03-07-2003, 14:54
Are the hotels not open? Surely somewhere like the Gaylord Palms or the disney hotels can't be shut????

burgessfamily
03-07-2003, 15:25
Hi Guys

Thank you for the info, you mention the only word that gets my wife going that was SALES....so I know what she will be doing on the next day.
So its a bit like I thought everyone takes time out on that day.
I will have to hunt round and see if not I will be cooking.

Cheers

Simon[:o)]

florida4sun
03-07-2003, 17:22
Arttiste Point and the Wilderness Lodge does a very good Thanksgiving Diner.

quote:Originally posted by burgessfamily

:)Hi
Has anyone got any sugestions on where I could take 4 adults and 1 child of 4 years and a baby of 4 months for dinner on Thanks Giving.
We are coming over in Nov and are lucky enough to be here for Thanks.
Will there be anywhere open or does Florida shut down on this day.
Thank you for help that you can give us

Burgessfamily

Carla
03-07-2003, 17:51
Simon, you may well find that it is best to book somewhere before you even go to Florida, as there are so few places open. I was there last November for Thanksgiving and was lucky enough to be able to experience a traditional American family celebration. However, driving to and from my friend's home, we noticed that almost everywhere was closed. The roads were extremely quiet, particularly after about 11am. People were either at the parks or celebrating at home with their families. Those restaurants which are open to the public (mostly hotel restaurants, if outside the parks) tend to get booked up quickly.

If you are going to a Disney Park, I think that you can book a Dinner reservation around 60 days before hand, not sure though, so hopefully someone else will know the exact number of days.

jamesuk
03-07-2003, 21:07
Hi,

Just found the forum, its great. Ive been to florida many times try to go 2 - 3 times a year, just got back sunday 29th june. We normaly stay in the davenport area renting in sunridge woods or bridgewater crossing.

Last time I was there thanks giving, the hotels were the only places open other than the fast food places. It was great to drive down 192 with so few lights on the shops and so few drivers that night.

Ive never been on the 4th of July just missed it, when you see the fireworks that are for sale in wal - mart and the other vendors, (BIG FIREWORKS). They must have a great time.

James

esprit
03-07-2003, 21:31
Martin, where is Arttiste Pointe as I have never heard of it?