PDA

View Full Version : moved to Florida

skippy
02-03-2006, 06:45
Well after a lot of thought and worry etc we arrived in florida on January 23rd this year,our visa's etc are now approved and hopefully we can now get our new business moving forward. Many thanks to Roger who has helped us out of some difficult situations with the car hire and may need to call him again soon.All I can say is, it is not an easy process and everyone is so laid back here not like the UK.

LiesaAnna
02-03-2006, 11:30
well done Sue, wishing you a happy life in the USA, how lucky, hope your new business will be a great sucess

MarkJan
02-03-2006, 11:47
Congratulations and the best of luck with your new life.

dawn
02-03-2006, 16:44
Congratulations Sue - wish you a happy and succesful new life in the Sunshine State[msncool]

djdigitald
02-03-2006, 17:36
Yep WTG :D

luckylady
02-03-2006, 18:35
Well Done Sue,
All the best for the future keep posting, the good and the bad, makes very interestig reading
[clap][clap][clap]

gail and david roberts
02-03-2006, 20:12
well done
keep us informed of your new adventure [clap]

esprit
02-03-2006, 21:02
What visa are you on??

skippy
04-03-2006, 17:08
Hi Julie,

We are on an E2 visa

CarolAnn
04-03-2006, 17:29
Glad you made it Sue:)

esprit
04-03-2006, 19:21
How long did it take you to get?? Huge backkog and very long processing times for some people. Do you have kids??

Kazzie
05-03-2006, 05:30
Well done Sue!:) Hope it turns out good for you.

Karen

skippy
05-03-2006, 05:32
We started the process last October/November and came over on Jan 23rd, we received our visa's about two weeks ago. I am sad to say we left the kids in the UK but we hope in the future they will change their minds.

esprit
05-03-2006, 08:58
You were lucky, that was very quick, some people are waiting a year to 18 months. Did you get two years??

owen3
05-03-2006, 16:00
Well done Sue, hope you enjoy your new life. Keep us updated.
Barbara

skippy
06-03-2006, 02:32
Yes we got two years, we haven't sold our UK home as we didn't want to burn all our bridges and the family are living there

esprit
06-03-2006, 06:34
Where are you then and what are you doing??

andrewandcarole
06-03-2006, 10:41
Well done Sue - and good luck!

Keep us up to date as to how it goes.

Carole

chrizzy100
06-03-2006, 19:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by skippy
Yes we got two years, we haven't sold our UK home as we didn't want to burn all our bridges and the family are living there
[/quote]

A really good idea...I think the E2 now has to be looked on as a temp visa...a lot of people have been thinking it will be renewed forever..and are now facing going home...I would also advise anyone on an E2 with kids to keep up the English school work...my friends son graduated at 14 in the US...but even with his mum home schooling him for when they got back to the UK he is still way behind...it says something about how bad the US schools are when English kids graduate.. (around where I live anyway)at age 14/16...unless the boredom gets to them and they drop out...my son is at a Tech school doing a 4 year college Degree ...so he could not graduate before 18...people come to the US and see their kids doing well...my advice is...grades mean nothing......go into school and read your kids work...my son is in an honour group that takes only the best kids from schools all over the US.....after reading his work...I dread to think what is classed as normal in US schools...

florida4sun
06-03-2006, 20:42
I would agree strongly about the schooling, Hannah has been doing catch up and they reckon she was 2 years behind!!! Considering she was top of the class in the USA, this shows how poor the schooling is[msnsad]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

A really good idea...I think the E2 now has to be looked on as a temp visa...a lot of people have been thinking it will be renewed forever..and are now facing going home...I would also advise anyone on an E2 with kids to keep up the English school work...my friends son graduated at 14 in the US...but even with his mum home schooling him for when they got back to the UK he is still way behind...it says something about how bad the US schools are when English kids graduate.. (around where I live anyway)at age 14/16...unless the boredom gets to them and they drop out...my son is at a Tech school doing a 4 year college Degree ...so he could not graduate before 18...people come to the US and see their kids doing well...my advice is...grades mean nothing......go into school and read your kids work...my son is in an honour group that takes only the best kids from schools all over the US.....after reading his work...I dread to think what is classed as normal in US schools...
[/quote]

chrizzy100
06-03-2006, 21:02
Since I've been questioning the schooling kids get in the US over the last 2 years...I think you're lucky to have a child just 2 years behind...apart from science which he never got to do in England...he has learnt nothing new in this country...and he's been in the US school system for 6 years now since he was 11....my friend son was in High School at 10...finished at 14 with honours...he is now playing catch up at school in the UK...his mum was giving him English school work for the two years they lived here...and he is still behind...
I talked to my son about it yesterday....and he is sure he would be lost going back to England now..he thinks he would have to do Sr School all over again....

skippy
07-03-2006, 05:24
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the good wishes, we are in Davenport and are selling and installing blinds and shutters, i agree with what has been said about the schooling here, we have had a week of work with americans and their grammar leaves a lot to be desired and this is from owners of sales companies etc.
Julie, by the way, do you know where Kilwins is in Celebration, we have friends who are involved with this and would like to call on them.Not sure if I have spelt the name right.

esprit
07-03-2006, 06:19
Doesnt ring a bell??

chrizzy100
07-03-2006, 06:26
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the good wishes, we are in Davenport and are selling and installing blinds and shutters, i agree with what has been said about the schooling here, we have had a week of work with americans and their grammar leaves a lot to be desired and this is from owners of sales companies etc.
Julie, by the way, do you know where Kilwins is in Celebration, we have friends who are involved with this and would like to call on them.Not sure if I have spelt the name right.

[/quote]

We are in Davenport too....are they storm shutters..???

skippy
07-03-2006, 18:19
Chrizzy you have mail