PDA

View Full Version : Villa for 1 or not ???

Susan
22-02-2006, 18:53
I have visited Florida several times with my daughter, the latest being 3 weeks this last Christmas. Li has now moved in with her boyfriend and will not be joining me on future holidays [msncry]. I love my time in Florida and don't want to stop going. Do you think I will be okay on my own? I'm quite happy driving, but not sure how I'd feel about eating out. I'd rather stay in a villa with pool, as this is a favourite part of my holiday, but it may be a little too expensive for one. Any help/advise would be welcomed.

Sue

Fourdents
22-02-2006, 19:07
I went on my own recently. Had a great time. Eating out is not that bad either, but be streetwise ! Depends if you like your own company or not LOL [msnsmile2]

Up side is .... you can please yourself, get up late, less mess, peace and quiet to read a book and if you plan a few trips out that will give you "company" of a sort.

Do you know anyone who you could ask to share the villa...? have 2 small cars so you are not tied to one another[msnwink]

Linda

Daglish
22-02-2006, 19:10
Susan

I am probably a bit biased as we have a villa but I went on my own in October last year and loved it! I was a bit apprehensive before I went but like you I don't mind driving in Florida so getting around was fine. I also didn't like the idea of going to restaurants on my own so being able to cook at the villa was great. It was also nice to be able to eat exactly what I felt like and when without having to worry about anybody else. I did go to Denny's one day for breakfast, and one evening to a friends villa for dinner but apart from this sorted myself out.

If you do go on your own and have a villa you will have the pool, as you mentioned, plus the freedom to spread out in your 'home from home' and just do exactly as you like.

I know there are other members of the forum who have travelled alone to villas in Orlando and I'm sure they will give you positive feedback as well.

Whatever you decide about accomodation you will still have a wonderful holiday in Orlando.

Susan
22-02-2006, 19:12
Hi Linda - thanks for the reply. Can't get anyone to join me as most of my friends have families so not really an option. Did you rent a villa or stay in a hotel?

Sue

DiannaUK
22-02-2006, 19:13
There are plenty of smaller villas around that I'm sure you wouldn't feel too lost in. I've been on holiday on my own before, and it's great, like others say.... you can please yourself, do what you want, when you want.

You may prefer to choose a villa that has community facilities (clubhouse, community pool, etc), which could mean that you might meet others while you are there, but if you're not bothered about meeting others, then there are so many villas to choose from that Orlando is your oyster - enjoy!

Dianna

julieanne
22-02-2006, 19:32
Susan

I've not been on my own yet but it's something I may consider in the future. I know I could cope with a villa on my own and fill my time sunbathing by the pool and shopping [msnwink]
I do all the driving anyway so that wouldn't be a problem

I think the things that would cause me to think twice would be the long flight which would seem twice as long travelling alone. The other thing would be eating out, I love going to all the different restaurants so would either have to be brave and go alone or the alternative would be to get takeaways from my favs ie Cheesecake Factory, Tony Romas etc

Let us know what you decide to do....

chrizzy100
22-02-2006, 19:35
I don't like being in my place on my own...to many empty rooms and it too quiet.......a townhouse would be nice...or a small villa on a resort so you get to meet other people...

steph_goodrum
22-02-2006, 19:47
I've always liked my own company so I dont think it would bother me. A lot of my friends if they go out for the day will not eat alone but again it doesnt worry me, I think maybe my Mum bought me up to be a bit too independant. You can always take a book or magazine if you feel you might be a bit lost out alone.

Regarding the cost, if you are not tied to school holidays then you can get flights much cheaper and can then put the saving towards the villa which will be a lower cost in low season generally, and as a single person I think more comfortable than an hotel where you might go back to at say 8 or 9 in the evening if you dont wont to be out too ate alone and then be looking at 4 walls for several hours. At least most of the villas have things to entertain you like cd players, dvd, some computers etc.

Jo
22-02-2006, 19:59
I would love to stay in a villa on my own, but would hate a hotel.

A villa very soon feels like home, amd if you choose one with free international phone callls, there's always someone you can talk to - but make sure you know what time it is!

jo-anne
22-02-2006, 20:19
I recently had a vacation at our villa on my own - and loved it!! It was so great to have the freedom to do just as I liked and when I went out to eat everyone was so friendly, I didn't feel isolated at all. I think it's a good idea to maybe rent on a resort community that has shared facilities as well as your own private pool - the clubhouse is a good place to meet people if you feel like a bit of company.
Jo-Anne

Lynnes
22-02-2006, 20:52
I went alone once and loved it.

Susan J
22-02-2006, 21:23
Heres an idea - why not ask your daughter and her boyfriend? Life doesn't stop because she moved out - they will love the idea of just finding the cost of flights, and you have someone in the house with you, but are free to do your own thing - great option and nice pressie for a young couple starting out.
I can feel your loneliness of your daughter moving out - giving her this option will bring her closeness back to you!

LiesaAnna
22-02-2006, 21:41
sounds good Susan!
i would ask them, maybe theyre waiting for you to?

i dont think i would like to go all that way on my own, but i guess if your an owner, it maybe the way it has to be done at times that dont suit everyone in the family, i dont like driving in florida, can manage Terra Verde down Poinciana Boulavard and into Oren Brown Road to Walmart!! so i wouldnt starve!!![msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
22-02-2006, 21:53
I haven't been on my own as yet but think I would prefer to be at a villa than in a hotel, being able to cook for yourself is a big benefit.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
22-02-2006, 22:16
I like to travel on my own...I can stay in hotels OK....sleep on a boat or train...I just don't like an empty house...could be the fact that 2 of our homes were haunted...

Susan
23-02-2006, 13:54
Her boyfriend came for the middle week at New Year and I felt like a spare part. He's a lovely guy, but I think I'd rather spend 2 weeks on my own than do that again [msneek]

From all your positive replies I think I'm going to go for it. I was thinking of October/November which I think is low season, what do you think ??

Sue

Linicia
23-02-2006, 14:26
October can be high season for some owners as this covers half term and the weather is great. We went October and beginning of November last year and it was smashing, lovely and warm and little or no humidity. Also remember that Thanksgiving is high season too so you would probably find that early November would be ideal. The flights would be cheaper, go midweek and save a bit more.

I would have no problem going on my own apart from the driving, I won't drive in Florida. As you say driving is no problem, go for it. I would have no problem eating out alone, you are able to choose just what you want and eat food to your taste not trying to find somewhere that suits everyone.

Go on, indulge yourself and have a wonderful time. When you get back, why not post a trip report?

steph_goodrum
23-02-2006, 14:44
Sue

Why not go end of November, around Thanksgiving time? The holiday decorations will start to be put up but best of all the day after Thanksgiving on the Friday is when most of the shops have all their major bargains on sale. Many of them start at 6 am but if you're on your own there is noone else to worry about getting up.

Susan
23-02-2006, 17:58
Right then gonna go for it [msncool]..... looked on Virgin website and can get great price for flights from Manchester in November for £272 plus airmiles[:O] There are two dates and I can't decide which to go for, either 9-24 Nov(15 nights)or 16 Nov - 30 Nov (14 nights). Which one do you think would be best for villa hire etc. I hope I'm doing the right thing [msnscared]

julieanne
23-02-2006, 18:01
Have 15 nights Susan [msnwink]

steph_goodrum
23-02-2006, 18:14
Susan
Personally I'd go 16-30 (Thanksgiving is 23rd so sales in abundance on 24th). Although you lose one day this way (the extra days car hire that you save will offset any holiday premium on the villa and as I mentioned lots of homes in Celebration etc have their Christmas decorations up from Thanksgiving and create a holiday atmosphere, get you in the mood for when you get home in time for Christmas.

chrizzy100
23-02-2006, 18:45
Over Thanksgiving would be nice..we did that last year....

Sue and Jere
23-02-2006, 19:01
Good for you Susan, go for the 14 nights and then you will be out for Thanksgiving [msnsmile2]

ShirleyCottam
28-02-2006, 01:17
If I was going alone I would go over thanksgiving. I havent been alone yet, but I intend to later this year as hubby has had all his holidays, and the boys cant miss school as its GCSE's.

I will enjoy doing exactly as I want, and shop as much as I like [msnwink]

I dont know if I would eat out alone in the evenings, I would probably cook myself something at the villa and cuddle up with a good book or film and a glass of wine

Have a great time![msnsmile2]

orlandodaze
01-03-2006, 16:49
Have a great time on your own Susan,after all the only one you have to please will be yourself .

MarkJan
21-05-2006, 23:09
I would say villa for one would be OK. Think about how much you could spread out!

mfairhurst
22-05-2006, 00:26
If you do not try it you will never know , If you do not feel you can go in a full resturant fast food oulets are easier and you do not feel out of it .Well worth a try .Good luck MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Somerset
22-05-2006, 04:05
I am going for Thanksgiving with the family - 15 nights, Virgin from Manchester, 15 nights - Miles Plus Money for £272.50 each - can't beat it!!

As for the original question - would you go it alone? well I would - we have a 1300 sq.ft. condo - a great size but if alone, would be comfortable too! I also drive so going out would not be a problem ... whether eating out or entertainment, would not hesitate!:)

TonyBlenk
22-05-2006, 10:16
If I were travelling alone I'd find staying in a hotel room for 2 weeks very lonely.
I'd be bored in one room and would feel obliged to go out - a Villa would feel like home and be more relaxing.

E. Cosgrove
22-05-2006, 10:39
I am definitely going to go on my own one day!!!
Driving is not a problem, might fel a bit strange in some restaurants, but like Steph suggests, I would just take a book!

stabard
22-05-2006, 13:40
I am trying to convince Lee that I should go out to Florida on my own for a week when the World Cup is on. So far he is not going along with this idea [msncry]

ShirleyD
22-05-2006, 15:19
Jan I was thinking the same thing as we have a small gap then, but I would have to do 5 shift swaps to get the time off[msnsad]