PDA

View Full Version : Naples any views?

22-02-2006, 10:19
We have been to the gulf coast many times but never to Naples.

Has anybody been, where did you stay (as there are no villas on here for Naples)?

Which ariport did you fly in to drive from?

All views/tips good or bad please!

Many thanks![msnwink]

berni_richards
22-02-2006, 12:44
Naples is beautiful we stayed for 3 nights in 2003/4 around the harbour is fantastic are you sure there are no villas near to naples I thought there were? We went there when touring florida so airports are not relevant I would say Tampa is nearer than orlando and Ft Myers might also be a good option.

Lots to do in and around naples, nice restaurants on the harbour too for romantic meals or family meals

Berni

julieanne
22-02-2006, 13:09
Julie - I've never stayed in Naples so can't help there I'm afraid.
Have visited for the day often though, the beach is lovely and there are some fantastic shops [msnwink]

MarkJan
22-02-2006, 14:28
We stayed in a hotel in Naples for 2 nights. Lovely place, well worth the visit. We travelled down from Orlando on a trip round to Miami.

fiona
22-02-2006, 15:14
We stayed in a villa in Naples 7 years ago, it's nice but we preferred Sanibel & Captiva. Shopping Mall is good though!

Clare R
22-02-2006, 15:57
As Gulf coast owner is Rotonda it is just a two hour trip to Naples. Was there in January it is fairly well recovered from Wilma. One main shopping street plus a further area with loads of art gallery shops and restaurants. Tin City is an interesting area with old shops, restaurant and where you can get a boat trip from. Venetian Bay is another shopping area.

Not the cheapest of places, just looking at the houses on Gordon Avenue is worth cruising.

Lovely beach and a very up-market place. Can't help you with accommodation as we just go home to Rotonda. Marco Island which is a bit further south has villas to let.

Naples has a sizeable airport which connects to some of the hubs. Wouldn't personally want to live in Naples, it is a bit 'end of the earth', nothing until Miami one way and Fort Myers/Tampa the other way but that is just a personal thought.

Clare - http://www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/1367.aspx

heathercobbett
22-02-2006, 16:48
I was just going to mention Rotunda which has nice well priced houses mostly backing onto water and golf courses and is within reach of lots of beaches and islands

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there a couple of years ago

mollymolly
22-02-2006, 20:08
I agree with Heather. Rotonda West is ideal. You have peace & tranquility, close proximity to beautiful beaches and you are not too far away from Sarasota (great shopping & theatres etc) or Tampa (Busch Gardens).

I've been down as far as Naples and it is a beautiful area but a bit pricey.

Bernadette

22-02-2006, 20:56
Thanks for the posts so far, we have already been to Rotunda, Clearwater, St Pete's, Sarasota, Bradenton, Indian shores, Port Charlotte, Fort Myers, Venice Beach, Tampa, New Port Richey, Hudson and as far up as Crystal River, but only passed Naples on a drive from Miami once so I wouldn't mind a week there maybe??[msnwink]

abbeyvillas
23-02-2006, 01:22
Fabulous place Julie - we've been to Naples a few times & can highly recommend a visit. Very select and up-market, super shops to browse around and some fantastic very expensive houses backing on to the long white sandy beach. I'm sure you will love it!

Mags
23-02-2006, 02:36
Naples is indeed fabulous for the big houses backing onto the beautiful beaches and the sunset is fantastic. We stayed for a week and it was very relaxing but a good base to see other things in that area and not too far to drive to the Everglades.[msnsmile2]

23-02-2006, 21:54
Thanks everyone I think Naples is worth a visit then[msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
26-02-2006, 21:10
&l;

Jo
27-02-2006, 01:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
&l;
[/quote]CDV - you don't seem your usual self!

27-02-2006, 01:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
&l;
[/quote]CDV - you don't seem your usual self!
[/quote]

Im glad you said that, I thought I was missing something[msnscared]

Ray&Sarah
27-02-2006, 02:36
We went to Naples for the day, like the others loved the beach and the shops, can't help wih a hotel to stay in though as we were hiring a lovely gulf coast villa at the time, had you considered that option.[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
27-02-2006, 23:51
Not my usual self. Must be something to do with this crazy Norwegian weather and their crazy computers and crazy isps etc etc etc...dont know what happened it was all there yesterday when I looked![msneek]

28-02-2006, 00:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
We went to Naples for the day, like the others loved the beach and the shops, can't help wih a hotel to stay in though as we were hiring a lovely gulf coast villa at the time, had you considered that option.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

That's what I want to do Sarah, no hotels for me, villa every time, can you recommend one[msnwink]

Jill
28-02-2006, 01:59
We stayed in Naples for a few nights at the start of December and were very impressed and would definitely go back again.

Would definitely recommend a December visit as the town was beautifully decorated for Christmas. One of the streets we stumbled on at night had entertainment and snow coming down from the lamp posts it was really lovely.

The pier is a great place to watch the fishermen and the world go by.

jpusa66
28-02-2006, 13:44
Hi,
I have stayed in Naples twice, I love it there. There are so many fantastic beaches around the area and the shops and restaraunts are good. Slightly more expensive that Orlando area, but well worth it!!
If you DM me I can give you details of the villas that we stayed in, if that is any help.

killian
28-02-2006, 15:48
Naples is a lovely area to visit and I would certainly recommend a trip there. Apparently there are more millionaires in Naples than anywhere else in the USA [:O] There are a number of reasonably priced hotels in the area (Wellesley Inn, Holiday Inn Express etc) a particularly nice one is the Registry resort which offers standard hotel rooms or small villas located around the pool area. It is expensive but worth it for the night.

Be sure to visit Fifth Avenue (similar to St.Armands Circle) where most of the nightlife is, Naples Pier is also worth a visit. Theres also lots of great beaches, restaurants etc. There are the usual malls and outlet stores which I found to be slightly cheaper\better stocked than the stores in the Orlando area.

Naples is approx 4 hours drive from Orlando, send me a DM if you want any website links for any of the above.

01-03-2006, 10:18
Thanks for all your replies, sounds like a must do next visit[msnwink]

edlea
13-03-2007, 17:33
We have spent a LOT of time in Naples (over 10 weeks) and it's one of the most beautiful places in Florida.
All the major sights have been listed in the posts above though strangely enough, no-one seems to have mentioned the golf. Apologies if I've missed it but Naples boasts some of the most fabulous golf in Florida. There are loads of top-quality courses - Naples Beach & CC, Lely Mustang and The Rookery at Marco 10 mins away, to name but three.
Miami is only an hour and a half away down the Tamiami and you can take in an airboat ride on the Everglades.
There are scores of superior restaurants and bars but thankfully not a huge amount of "nightlife" - but we are in our 50s.
Naples Pier is one of my most favoured, serene, laid-back places on the planet and a Naples sunset is one of the world's fantastic sights.

It's an up-market resort and, truth be told, can be quite expensive. if that's the downside, the upside is it's thankfully free of tattooed, ear-ringed Brits in football shirts - forgive me if that sounds snobbish.
I suppose if you're a young family with kids, it's not for you but we love the relaxed gentility.

jillizzy
13-03-2007, 22:35
Julie if you decide to visit and stay over, check out The Bellasera Hotel.

They have large one and two bed suites and it's within walking distance of shops and restaurants.

Some restaurants are expensive, but you can still eat cheaply, as there are chains such as Dennys and Chillis. There is also a shopping comples within a mile of the hotel, with the usual stores such as Sears and a Cheesecake Factory restaurant. There is also a Starbucks within 2 minutes walk of the hotel.

Check out their website as we found the prices direct were the cheapest.

Jill