PDA

View Full Version : Packing for the first time ......

mona
20-02-2006, 18:22
Will start to pack our suitcases soon this weekend.....
[clap][clap]
I've heard the weather is getting better in Florida....it is so hard to imagine looking at our cold and wet weather here right now.
We are going in 4 weeks and it's outr first time......can I really pack all shorts, 3/4's and t-shirts ??
Is it warm enough for the waterparks ????
Any top tips on things to take with you apart from the obvious??

Thanks

Mona

allenc
20-02-2006, 18:32
Hi mona
Empty suitcase.[msnwink]
allenc

Macka
20-02-2006, 18:33
Mona, you go a few days after us I think, we go on the 16th March from Gatwick?

Yes just pack your summer stuff and perhaps a light jumper or two and maybe a very light coat/fleece.

I usually just pack a sweat shirt and that's been enough in the past.

It may be a little cool in the evening and maybe even one or two days but really, the weather will be fine. Worse comes to worst, yiu could buy another seatshirt or something, the clothes are cheap enough.

We take very few toletries if they are heavy (shampoo,showergel etc) we get them as soon as we arrive at publix.

Any more questions, ask now Mona, it's nearly here!!! Yaaaaaay!!![msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
20-02-2006, 18:53
im sure after reading many posts before that the weather should be nice at that time, but as suggested before take a cardy or light jacket and jeans or something like that for the evenings?

empty suitcases!!!! or nearly[msnwink]

pepsi
20-02-2006, 19:17
We have been regularly in March and April and I would certainly recommended a couple of cardies/sweatshirts for the evenings. It can be quite chilly even at the parks. We have also taken jogging bottoms with us so we could change from shorts in the evening. It is definitely warm enough for the waterparks during the day but as somebody else has said odd days can be quite cool.

ellie
20-02-2006, 19:24
How exciting! It still gives me a thrill every time I see the suitcases lined up in the hall - although nowadays, as villa owners, they are usually filled up with bits and pieces for our home in the sunshine state! But at least that means they are empty for when we come home. (Well maybe empty is the wrong word......[msnwink]

As everyone has said, pack a jacket or sweater for the evenings, but you should have some lovely weather.

Hope you have a great time, Mona. :)

normajohnp
20-02-2006, 19:34
Mona, the one piece of advice I would give is DO NOT TAKE TO MUCH. If you are staying in a private villa you will have a washing machine and dryer to use, so you will be able to wash your things each day if you choose too. This will leave you with plenty of space to bring all the extras you will buy out there home with you and not have to pay for excess luggage.We all now that we never wear half of what we take out with us anyway!!!!

Norma.

heathercobbett
20-02-2006, 19:37
I'm with Mona on this one.Most of my guests tell me they took too many clothes and then bought loads.(I do tell them!)You will be wearing warm "outers" on yoiur journey over and you will not need much more

Macka
20-02-2006, 19:38
Yes Norma, sound advice there, Mona, everything in Florida will be new, so you will find lots that you want to buy at the cheap prices I promise you, don't overfill your case, you'll regret it on the way back.

Val
20-02-2006, 19:40
We are off on the 24th March and I usually take the minimum, life in the States is very casual. Buy your toiletries in the States much cheaper and then you do not have to carry them. Dont forget the emptier the case on the outward journey the more space for the return journey (My theory)

Have a great time

normajohnp
20-02-2006, 19:55
We go out on the 16th March too Macka flying from Manchester. The only thing I will be taking is a new teapot ( can`t buy a decent one out there ).Travel light thats my motto.

norma.

LiesaAnna
20-02-2006, 20:05
a teapot Norma![msnwink] the mind boggles, such sweet needs, mind you i really needed my PG Tips!!!! [msnwink]

mona
20-02-2006, 21:10
Thank you for all the advice....!!!

We are flying out on the 21.March...sooooo excited !!!!!!
So much to try out, see and do..we are going to be shattered when we come back.
I had been thinking of putting our two smaller cases in the two larger ones...is that okay ???

And you really think waterparks are okay this time of year...
Is the water heated ???

mona
20-02-2006, 21:39
...I have just realized I've got another question....
Sorry...[msnembarrased]

What does everybody do about communication within the parks ect ??
I have read about tracfones, but I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of money on mobile phones and I've heard that Walkie Talkies can have a lot of interferrence...???

thanks
Mona

Paula D-S
20-02-2006, 21:51
Last year I took one full suitcase, that was for my two daughters my husband and me. I also took three empty cases and came back with 5 and a holdall..................don't know how that happened[msnembarrased]

Madabouttigger
20-02-2006, 21:55
Get those cases empty! Twice now we have had to buy another case whilst we were out there because we bought so much. Casual clothes are so cheap and much nicer than the stuff over here. We also buy toiletries and sun lotion when we get there. Much easier than having to pack it all.[msnwink]

becbecs
20-02-2006, 22:01
Yep make sure you take an empty suitcase. Or just buy one while your out there. Weather should be fine for summer gear but as mentioned ealier pack a fleece just in case or buy one out there.[msntongue]

bargainqueen
20-02-2006, 22:22
When we first went over in Jan 1997 I took a case full of things to change into in the evening as we were staying in a hotel. Didn't wear a thing in it and had to take a trip to the Belz mall to stock up on the items I needed (it was colder that I expected)
A year later we were back with all the items I had bought and I didn't need many of them as it was warm enough to wear my shorts at midnight in the parks.

Best advice it to wear layers which can be removed during the day and put on again later.

We take 2 changes of clothes and I wear long trousers for travelling. I take 3/4 length trousers and shorts. We travel scheduled so have a great luggage allowance, I have what I call my USA luggage which I got in the flea market on the 192. We found a large holdall for around $10 which is the size of a large suitcase. All my new clothes are put into Space Bags and fit perfectly into this. For the more bulky items I have a holdall on wheels. It has a sturdier bottom so there is more protection but it does weigh about 8 kgs empty.

Depends on if you plan to go shopping if so then just bring out the one large suitcase and then buy a bag or two to suit your requirements. That small suitcase will be part of your luggage allowance whereas you can buy as big or small a holdall as you like. And some are really big and range from $5 to $20, fold up flat ready for the next trip.

bargainqueen
20-02-2006, 22:29
Forgot to mention we also bought walkie talkies years ago and would recommend them. As you are going out before Easter then the parks will be reasonably quiet so the interference should be minimal. It's mainly picking up someone else using the same channel but if someone gets lost or if you split up to do different areas then they are really useful.

mona
20-02-2006, 23:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
Last year I took one full suitcase, that was for my two daughters my husband and me. I also took three empty cases and came back with 5 and a holdall..................don't know how that happened[msnembarrased]
[/quote]

LOL....
We are flying scheduled....so the only problem would be the size of our car......
have to make sure we still have room for the boys on the way back...LOL[grin]

Fourdents
20-02-2006, 23:53
PAULA.....

You shopperholic! LOL [msntongue][msntongue]

Linda

bargainqueen
21-02-2006, 12:43
We always go for a bigger car than we need as the boot capacity in american cars is quite small. If we are flying BA we get a 7 seater so that we can get all the luggage to the airport in one hit. (Checkin desks open around 1pm at MCO).

Now that Virgin have reopened the checkin at Down Town Disney we get a smaller car, do two trips with someone staying with luggage. Back in UK we can take seats out of our MPV so can squeeze the cases in there.

I can remember a programme once about a couple who were flying back from Sanford and they had 7 extra bags of luggage. There excess baggage was about $650 because all the bags were carryon size sports bag. They could have got all of the stuff into two bags and only paid $200.

mizzy
21-02-2006, 13:00
i would agree with just about everything on this post
we went last year (march 4th) for two weeks, the weather was warm enough in the evenings and only needed a fleece once or twice

we took far too many clothes, having the villa meant we could wash what we had and of course we bought loads that we wanted to wear whilst we where there too

on our next trip i am going to pack our 4 fleece's in one space saver bag and hopefully they will stay there for the entire two weeks

i am also gonna put the kids cuddly toys into another space saver bag as we took loads and bought loads

you asked about smaller suitcases inside bigger ones and i would also like to know if anyone has the answer for this question ????????????

have fun packing and have a great holiday[clap]

i'm sooo jealous i have to wait 1 year 23 days etc; for my trip[msncry]

Mizzy

mona
21-02-2006, 14:04
Oh I do like that space saver bag idea, Mizzy !!!
I have to see where I can get some....as my youngest is "cuddely toys" mad, no doubt there will be a few coming back !!!
Still got to get some 3/4's and t-shirts ( the 3 boys have grown out of everything...[msncry])I might just have a look for another suitcase or two as well...oh and some bumbags...

We booked this holiday a year ago.....and I've been at it since....I just can't believe where the time has gone, now I'm still rushing around hoping to get everything done.........
[msnoo]

Mona

mizzy
21-02-2006, 16:30
Mona
space saver bags are fairly cheap in woolworths argos and wilkinsons etc;
i would get the roll up types then you dont need a hoover with the right attachment

Mizzy

bargainqueen
21-02-2006, 22:19
You can buy space saver bags in Walmart for a lot less than they cost here. Just look for the aisle where they sell the hoovers, they normally come with the travel ones as a bonus inside the packs. If you want extra travel packs for your hand luggage look for the aisle where they have the suitcases and luggage lables.

You could take a small packed suitcase inside a larger one, but personally I wouldn't bother. You always buy more than you think and it's easier to go to flea market and buy one the size you need. If that works out too small you can always be cheeky and exchange it for a larger one.

madmumof2
02-05-2008, 18:29
I've always used my mums handy tip. I pack two small suitcases with essentials, like first day's clothes, jackets, and teabags! Then I put each of those two suitcase into bigger ones, then those into bigger ones, so while we're only carring 2 suitcases, we actually have 6, so we don't have to buy more when we're out there. Both times we've come back with all 6 suitcases full! lol