PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Myers

rolling187
20-02-2006, 00:29
Looking to go to Ft. Myers area this April 1-8 2006. Married with 2 boys. I have never been to Ft. Meyers we usually go to Destin or Panama City. Wanting to get away a little from the spring breakers and have some warmer temps. What is Ft. Myers like and some good vacation ideas for a family to do?

thanks

Katys Grandad
20-02-2006, 01:30
Welcome to the forums!!

Fort Myers is fine but if you want to get away from Spring breakers, it's definitely NOT what you are looking for.

andrewmckay5
20-02-2006, 02:12
David,
a number of the Gulf owners on the forum have vacation homes about 50 minutes north of Fort Myers in Rotonda. Have a look at the links above for the homes. Personally we are already booked and it would be wise to get something sooner rather than later as its a busy time of year.
For ideas look at the Gulf section:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/forum_74.asp
Spring Breakers are not a problem in the area but there is pleanty to do and only 10 to 15 minutes from several beach.
Hope this helps,
andrew

Cruella DeVilla
20-02-2006, 19:39
We quite often go to Fort Myers and I really enjoy it and the Gulf Coast in general. The Spring Breakers will be on the Fort Myers Beach area, there are lots of other nice places in Fort Myers and the surrounding areas, why not do as Andrew suggests and have a look at some of the lovely properties near there which adverise on this forum and get the personal touch.

LiesaAnna
20-02-2006, 19:50
welcome David to the Orlando Villas forums!!
best place to be, very helpful people to be around!!
am sure there are many here that can help you with any questions you may have, :D

20-02-2006, 20:55
Welcome! I can only agree with all the above posts[msnwink]

We went to Rotonda in 1997 and it was just beautiful[clap]

Robert5988
21-02-2006, 03:34
Going to Fort Myers to get away from the Spring Breakers is akin to going to Blackpool to get away from the day trippers.

It is not going to be significantly(any?) warmer in Fort Myers than, say, Orlando.

I think there are much nicer places on the Gulf coast than Fort Myers.

Cruella DeVilla
21-02-2006, 15:31
Robert it is actually normally warmer, maybe only be a couple of degrees in Fort Myers, than it it can be in Orlando, we visit the area most trips as we land at Fort Myers and have always commented on this very subject.

Fort Myers is huge and there are certainly plenty of places to go if you don't want to see the spring breakers, as mentioned above they will be in the beach area. I have been in Myers at Spring break and we stayed in North Fort Myers and it was away from the rowdies so to speak.

I think the problem with going to any beach location at that time of year is it is going to be busy as the college kids party without Mum and Dad! Nice villa in Rotunda sounds like the answer[msnsmile2]

rolling187
21-02-2006, 17:40
Thanks for the replies. Ft. Meyers is the wife's idea! I will look at your suggestions.

Dave

Mo Green
22-02-2006, 03:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla

I think the problem with going to any beach location at that time of year is it is going to be busy as the college kids party without Mum and Dad! Nice villa in Rotunda sounds like the answer[msnsmile2]
[/quote]
That is also one of the great things about Rotonda. Not only is it a beautiful area but it is only 10 minutes drive to the almost deserted Stump Pass Beach. We go there at various times of the year and think its crowded if we see a dozen people.

andrewmckay5
22-02-2006, 15:41
Dave,
show your wife these pictures:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/200522711470_aaa.JPG

March 2004 beach at Boca Grande ( 10 to 15 minutes from Rotonda)

Also Rotonda ones at:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_27330.asp

Also at : http://www.brettslattery.com/pics/

regards
andrew

heathercobbett
22-02-2006, 16:50
Mo,we had a great walk on Stump Pass Beach.You brought back some happy memories!

Mo Green
22-02-2006, 22:47
I love going down there at Sunset Heather and watching our own private dolphin show.

abbeyvillas
23-02-2006, 01:34
We took a trip to Fort Myers a couple of years ago, it was okay but not a place we would rush back to.

One thing of interest to visit there though was Thomas Edison/Henry Ford Complex. They were close friends and both lived in Fort Myers and their homes are now historical museums. Quite interesting if you like that sort of thing.

Robert5988
23-02-2006, 02:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: Looking to go to Ft. Myers area this April 1-8 2006 ---- and have some warmer temps.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:It is not going to be significantly(any?) warmer in Fort Myers than, say, Orlando.
[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Robert it is actually normally warmer, maybe only be a couple of degrees in Fort Myers, than it it can be in Orlando, we visit the area most trips as we land at Fort Myers and have always commented on this very subject.
[/quote]

Average April High in Orlando = 83: in Fort Myers = 84

Average April low in Orlando = 61: in Fort Myers = 62

andrewmckay5
23-02-2006, 02:47
www.edison-ford-estate.com

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by abbeyvillas
We took a trip to Fort Myers a couple of years ago, it was okay but not a place we would rush back to.

One thing of interest to visit there though was Thomas Edison/Henry Ford Complex. They were close friends and both lived in Fort Myers and their homes are now historical museums. Quite interesting if you like that sort of thing.
[/quote]

rolling187
23-02-2006, 06:30
I would agree that the Rotonda area is beautiful. My only concern is with 2 boys, one that is 11 and the other that is 8. Are there attractions for children close to here? Anyone here with children have any opionions? Thnks

Aiminghigh
23-02-2006, 09:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rolling187
I would agree that the Rotonda area is beautiful. My only concern is with 2 boys, one that is 11 and the other that is 8. Are there attractions for children close to here? Anyone here with children have any opionions? Thnks
[/quote]

Are you planning a few days in Orlando as well? We normally combine the two-a week at the beach and a week or 2 in Orlando. The contrast works perfectly. We have done this for a few years now with our 3 children at all ages and stages! They actually enjoy the peace and quiet and love just pottering about on the beach. I usually have one or two ideas "up my sleeve" but to be honest, it seems like an effort to do them.

Carole

heathercobbett
23-02-2006, 12:30
Rolling,when my sons were that age they were happy to swim and eat! (giving us a relaxing time) It is when they become "Kevins" that the trouble starts

mollymolly
24-02-2006, 00:23
My "Kevin"and cousin "Perry" enjoyed :-
* go-karts & crazy golf on S.McCall Rd Englewood (forgot the name!)
* bowling in Port Charlotte,
* playing basketball at the tringali Centre, Englewood Beach and Sunnydale Park
* finding sharks teeth on the beach
and throwing nets into the waves to catch "tiddlers"
You can even get to Busch Gardend in about 1.5 hrs

Bernadette

andrewmckay5
24-02-2006, 00:46
www.shellfactory.com
www.babcockwilderness.com
www.sarasotajunglegardens.com
www.sunsplashwaterpark.com

Just some ideas plus of course your own pool and the beaches, boat trips ( hire your own aswell.)
Rotonda community Park ahs a childrens playground and nature trail.
andrew

Ruth
24-02-2006, 11:42
My children ages 10, 8 and 5 never get bored at the Gulf coast and we love the Cape Haze/Rotonda/Port Charlotte/Englewood area. We spend at least a week there on every holiday:)We have still not done the Myakka State Park which is meant to be lovely, we really must do it in the summer[8D]