PDA

View Full Version : flights

kay9jess
01-07-2003, 16:35
having been before with virgin atlantic,i have been thinking of booking with travel city direct on there jumbo service as the price is very good,can any one give me feed back on the flights:) ,are they rust buckets,poor facilities...thanks

Chris7
01-07-2003, 16:47
As you're new I'm guessing you haven't read the extensive comment on Travel City Direct on another thread. I haven't used them, but from the comments I wouldn't book with them;)

Hopefully this link will show you what I mean!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2544&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=travel,city

Matt
02-07-2003, 00:46
In agreement with Chris7 here. Read the thread, and make your own mind up!!

MTP
02-07-2003, 01:14
Was there just a collective sharp intake of breath when this topic came up?[8D]

Matt
02-07-2003, 01:36
:D:DI think that was possibly the case MTP

chrisj
02-07-2003, 03:09
i would stick with Virgin

Chris7
02-07-2003, 19:16
As Kay9jess was new to the BB, I did wonder if it was villaowner back with a new ID. He was less than honest last time about his vested interest, but lets give everyone the benefit of the doubt!;)

athurstance
02-07-2003, 20:01
We have always flown with Virgin but after 2 very mediocre flights last year (Boston and Orlando) we are flying American Airlines next year. They came recommended by several others on here and besides that they were very good value.
Try putting in a request:
http://www.orlandovillas.com/cheap_flights.asp
as then you will know what your options are.

kay9jess
03-07-2003, 16:33
quote:Originally posted by Chris7

As Kay9jess was new to the BB, I did wonder if it was villaowner back with a new ID. He was less than honest last time about his vested interest, but lets give everyone the benefit of the doubt!;)
:Di am not or have ever been a villa owner,yes i am new to the site and i have been to florida about 10 time most recent in oct 2001.the price of flights and holidays have gone up in price in the last 3 years and a work mate told me about travel city,as i have never heard of them i used the site for info,and many thanks to the people who gave constuctive advise.i have posted about oct 2004 flights but these are no availible till nov..many thanks great site

Chris7
03-07-2003, 23:13
I wasn't suggesting you were a villa owver, but someone who posted messages on this site under the name villaowner was saying was a great company TCD were (I'm paraphrasing a bit):)

It later turned out that it was an employee of TCD who had omitted to mention the connection [:I]

janny
03-07-2003, 23:21
There is a thread on another forum about virgin that would make you think twice about going with them
it's not Patties site but I don't know if I'm allowed to link into the thread here.

Tracy
03-07-2003, 23:25
I've heard so many dreadful stories, even from those who upgraded, I wouldn't give them a second look. We have flown to America with Delta, Continental, Virgin, and US airways, slightly differing service from each, but nothing as bad as TCD. Stick with Virgin, if you do want to look at other options keep well out of the way of TCD.

chrisj
04-07-2003, 02:50
the only thing ive found is the better known airlines, BA Vrigin AA etc, if something
goes wrong and you complain enough you do get better compensation. A friend flew with
Virgin earlier this year and had a real bad flight(wont go into details). Basically him
and his wife were given 2 free tickets to fly anywhere in the world.

So they are off for a free holiday when they decide where to go

Chris

campers moll
14-07-2003, 00:05
My friend flew Virgin last year, it was only when someone mentioned problems with the flight times that she checked her tickets. Turns out her 7 year old son was booked on another flight later in the day - duh!

campers moll
14-07-2003, 01:26
Who has experience of My Travel? Found a good offer for a flight to Sanford by my travel/airtours. I can't find from their website what planes they operate and what their timekeeping is. Can anyone help?

This will be our second visit to Orlando, we did a DIY two years ago, hired a lux villa, cheap flights, good deal on the car hire. Last year my friend came to Orlando, did it all through the tour operator, wedged 5 in a motel room and paid the same as we did (8) and we got to get a 4 bed pooled villa - with fridge (more than she had). WHY because she wasn't brave enough to do DIY. There's still a market for tour operators!.

kay9jess
22-07-2003, 16:07
quote:Originally posted by campers moll

Who has experience of My Travel? Found a good offer for a flight to Sanford by my travel/airtours. I can't find from their website what planes they operate and what their timekeeping is. Can anyone help?

This will be our second visit to Orlando, we did a DIY two years ago, hired a lux villa, cheap flights, good deal on the car hire. Last year my friend came to Orlando, did it all through the tour operator, wedged 5 in a motel room and paid the same as we did (8) and we got to get a 4 bed pooled villa - with fridge (more than she had). WHY because she wasn't brave enough to do DIY. There's still a market for tour operators!.

i have been a few times with airtours/my travel,they use 767`s and new airbuses a330`s.the service has been good with the odd delay,but the flight times are not as fast as the 747`s which fly faster,7hrs out 6 back....all the charters are as good as each other.hope this has been helpful

tinkerbell
22-07-2003, 17:59
On this thread, my partners parents have now decided to join us for our holiday at xmas. We have had our Virgin flights booked since last June, but the prices have now more than doubled for that time of year. I found them a really good deal through www.airnet.co.uk with Northwest flying via Minneapolis, any views??? They will be flying from Heathrow on a DC10 and my partners father is already moaning about them!!! I'm hoping for some positive things to tell them so we don't get an earbashing right up until December!!!

blott
22-07-2003, 21:07
Not really but just to say that you were really lucky to find scheduled flights available for Christmas! When we booked in March, there weren't very many at that time anyway, let alone in our price range.

I'd just tell them that it doesn't matter how they get there and back, they should just be thankful they're going to escape cold old UK for a magical Floridian Christmas! ;)

tinkerbell
22-07-2003, 22:11
That's exactly what I've been trying to tell them!! Although Dad keeps on saying he's getting 'old'!!! It's quite amusing really considering we all flew with Air2000 last yr to the Caribbean for our sunsail holiday and had shocking flights both ways, but he happily re-booked again this year without comment!!!

His arm has been twisted as the wife wants to go, so he's looking fro anything to moan about I think!

porky
23-07-2003, 15:48
Tink,
Are you sure they are flying from Heathrow?
The reason I ask is I have flown many, many times with Northworst and they have never flown from LHR only LGW. MSP is a lovely airport, been there many times - if you have several hours to wait there you can get a bus right outside that will take you over to the Mall of America.

The DC10s are fine, the flight attendants a bit on the old and ugly side but the flight is fine :D Food is still as naff as other companies. Why did we fly with them so much? We had loads of freebie tickets to use thanks to hubby's frequent flyer miles.

Tell your dad they are really no worse or no better than any other airline, they all have their good and bad points.

If they've started flying from LHR now, I think I will be using them again more as it is closer to us than LGW and we can 'notch up' some more free flights. :)

Jacqui

tinkerbell
23-07-2003, 17:42
Thanks Jacqui!!!

Sorry that was my mistake, they are flying from Gatwick, the flight they originally reserved was with Martin Air for £315 flying from heathrow! Thats a pretty good price I'd say flying to Orlando Int'l via Amsterdam and Detroit!

I'm trying not to let slip the 'Northworst' catch phrase or else I really will never hear the end of it!!!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-07-2003, 18:14
We flew with Northworst from Amsterdam to Washington a couple of years ago and will not be flying with them again - the DC10 we went on was well past it's sell by date and the cabin crew have to be the rudest and most arrogant we have ever experienced - I nearly got my head bitten off for asking for a glass of orange at the galley....not again for us :(.

tinkerbell
23-07-2003, 18:21
Oh! [:I]

I was suspecting I was going to hear a tale like that. I've heard bad things about Northwest in the past, at least my own flgiht is secure with Virgin!!!

mikewj
23-07-2003, 19:29
We flew with Northwest a couple of years ago.

It was one of those nice direct flights from Manchester to Amsterdam to Detroit to Orlando.

While the flight itself was OK, the connections took their toll.

The journey from Manchester to Amsterdam was delayed due to bad weather resulting in us missing the connection to Detroit. After a long tale of woes, we eventually landed in Orlando (via Boston) without our luggage which was still in Amsterdam.

Thankfully it only took another 24hrs for the cases to arrive and even more thankfully, we'd packed a change of clothes in our hand luggage just in case !!

tinkerbell
24-07-2003, 14:32
Oh my god!!![:I] I was telling parnters dad what a great site this was and that he should take a look, but now I'm not so sure!!!!!