PDA

View Full Version : Securing a Villa

Twiglet
17-02-2006, 16:21
We have pretty much completed our search for a villa, and tonight I spoke home to my family in UK. The biggest worry they have is booking a villa through the internet. They are concerned that it isn't through a travel agent/company, and so therefore you are more vulnerable to losing your deposit, or flying to Florida and finding the Villa is not available, or not even owned by the person you paid the deposit too!

I was kind of stuck with an answer to those questions, and wondered how we can guarantee the booking, what do I do, and how can I find answers to these very important questions? I said maybe I can get the owner to give us details of past guests, but they said they could just give me friends/relatives details, which is true!

How legally binding is a contract, and how secure is a booking?

What is normally required deposit wise, our booking would be for late 2008?

Lynnes
17-02-2006, 16:30
If you booked through any of the 3 sites above then all the villas are validated. As an owner i have had guests with the same worries and I give them details of my Management company so they can contact them . I also have a prevous guest (not a relative) who offered to speak with anybody who had worries.

aarkley
17-02-2006, 16:37
Theresa

The villas you find on these pages have to be verified by the owners before we can advertise. This is by way of documents showing the villa exists and we actually own it.
You would normally give a sum of about £100.00 per week to reserve the villa. We make sure that the terms and conditions are correct in law and binding on both sides.
To be fair if you book villas with some of the travel agents you are shown the type of villa you will get but not the actual villa. There can be a huge difference in what and where you will be located.
I can only speak for myself to say once booked it remains booked unless the rentors tell me otherwise and I'm sure other villa owners will say the same.

Hope this helps

Alan

blott
17-02-2006, 16:41
Thee's absolutely no way an OV advertised home doesn't belong to the person you're booking with - just make sure that you've been given their OV reference number and that their advert is live on any of the three OV sites.

A contract is legally binding (on both sides) once the deposit has been received and cleared, so no problems there.

How do you know, if you booked with a travel agent, that the house you've chosen will still be on their books when you arrive and you won't be given a different one? You can't know that but with a private owner you at least know that they own the actual home you'll be staying in and can build up a trust relationship with them in between your booking and your check-in date. You can also ask them any questions you like about the home that they'll be happy to answer for you - try doing that with a travel agent!

Twiglet
17-02-2006, 16:48
Thanks guys. I am not saying I don't understand the verification process here on the forums, I do, and that's why I have been so keen to book through here.

However, the family are nervous, understandably, about taking this leap of faith, outlaying a considerable amount of money to hold the booking, for a holiday two years away. I just wondered what owners usually do to ease guest minds, do you send out confirmation letters, deposit receipts, etc etc?

The weight of responsiblity is on my shoulders at the moment!

Cruella DeVilla
17-02-2006, 17:18
Theresa you have been on the forum long enough to be able to convince the family that any villa booked through the three OV sites is solid and we are a trustworthy bunch.:D:D.

Another option is tell them they have to remember that, if for example the were renting say my house I am entrusting them with over $500,0000 worth of villa which is more than a couple of thousand dollars, so it goes both ways.

Hope this is of a some help:D

Aiminghigh
17-02-2006, 17:26
Teresa, like CDV says, you've used the OV site for a while and at least you know how it all works. I am not a villa owner, but have no hesitation whatsoever in booking a villa on here-I am so much happier to see the actual villa and be able to ask questions. I booked one for an extended family holiday a couple of years ago. Everyone was thrilled with the choice and it all went very smoothly.

wrpac00
17-02-2006, 17:34
Theresa, I can sympathise completely. I can remember the first time I booked a holiday via the internet, I was as scared as anything. It turned out to be unfounded and everything was great, I now do everything via the internet.

As far as feeling safer via a travel agent I don't think this is totally true. I have heard of loads of stories where people have booked villas via a travel agent only to find out they are dumps when they turn up. When you book off of a place like this site at least you have seen the property and you know who the owner is.

Try not to worry, look forward to your trip and enjoy planning for it.

chrissb
17-02-2006, 18:10
Theresa, the question I would like to ask you and your family is what would reassure you? You know how things work on this site and you will have told your family but obviously they still have concerns and it is no use us repeating what you already know. I can understand why you are concerned when you are planning a family reunion but like many others I'm not sure that booking through a travel agent will be any better. There have been several occations when people have booked a villa through travel agents only to find out when they arrive that the villas have been overbooked. This can happen at busy times like Easter and the summer months and the guests are left with nowhere to go. They were never given a specific villa, and are just told there is a problem. I very much doubt that you will be able to book a villa through a tour company 2 years in advance as they will not know what villas are available and what the prices are going to be. At least booking direct with a villa owner you will have chosen the villa that you like best and are able to ask any questions that you have. By the time your holiday arrives you will have had 2 years for the villa owner and you to have got toknow eachother. You will be feeling much more relaxed, have the villa that you want and will be able to really enjoy your holiday.

blott
17-02-2006, 18:41
Yes, I think you'll find that most owners will send out a booking confirmation letter when the deposit has been paid and cleared. Ask the home owner of the house you choose/have chosen if they do this if you want to put your mind at rest - they should be very happy to explain their own booking processes with you.

In our case, this letter sets out how many people there will be and their names, the dates booked, how many nights that is, the deposit paid, what's left to pay and when and also if people have booked other options like pool heating, etc, what price this is and when it's to be paid as well as anything else relevant, ie answers to any specific issues the guest may have raised.

steph_goodrum
17-02-2006, 19:01
As far as getting any money back if your circumstances change, most owners operate on the same basis as airlines etc. in that there is a non-refundable deposit (usually around £100 per week) to confirm your dates at which time you receive written confirmation.

We always advise our guests to ensure they have adequate travel insurance which covers cancellation so in the event of your having to change plans for instance because of illness etc, you would be able to claim any money paid out that is non refundable, as per the owners terms and conditions.

I have an American guest who wants to go back for her 3rd trip soon who was very nervous in 2003 when she first booked as she had booked with a "reputable" company in Kissimmee who belonged to the Better Business Bureau so she though all would be ok. A few weeks before her trip her friend noticed that they hadn't had a reminder for the balance so they started to make enquiries, only to find out the company (and it was a larger one) had gone out of business leaving them $200 out of pocket and extremely wary about trusting an individual. It took a while for her to be confident but we got there and I@m sure you'll find the same if you contact the owner directly of the homes you have chosen.

Fourdents
17-02-2006, 19:09
Maybe some of your family could be directed to The website sort of "get to know us " etc.

Most villa owners would be willing to have past guests give references.

I know my management company would be willing to hold a deposit or make some arrangement as an "extra" re-assurance if someone was worried.

We run a business and to my way of thinking need to be trustworthy and honest as if we want to continue to renting a good name is worth it's weight in gold. AND bad news travells fast......both ways ...that is if a guest is "bad" news word gets around....if an owner gives bad service ....that gets around too.

Susan J
17-02-2006, 19:09
You should get a decent standard of paperwork. THese are all people who have a substantial investment abroad, and have the professionalism to run their dream home bookings well.
My personal itinerary is to send out a booking form, and terms and conditions to the enquirer if I have your dates free. Then, the booking form comes back, with all members of your party listed, along with £100 per week booked deposit.
I confirm this in writing, that the villa is held for them, the balance that is due,and the date it is due, and ask if they want any info to ring or e-mail.
I also do all the background paperwork -register the names of their party etc as licensing laws request, and notify my Managers over there of the booking details and any ordered extras[ food packs, childrens stuff, pool heat etc]
Then I remind when balance is due. When balance paid and cheque cleared, I send details from airport to home, gate code, alarm etc,details of local shops and restaurants and a disney tips guide and that is it. Most people like a CD or link to look at the 360 tour to show whoever they are going with, and ask about hairdryers, towels etc as time goes on. Whilst they are at the villa, I try to catch guests with a courtesy call, and then after they have left the villa, and it is checked over, I tell them their security deposit [CC SWIPE usually] is cleared [touch wood! I have only every had one breakage, and the people involved sorted it!!]Thats the basic procedure if it helps you.
Also a part of my day involves taking telephone calls from well known compaines " Hi we would like to rent your villa [at half or less of the normal cost] -is it available in 6 days time?" Yep, that is what happens when you book with well known companies - they phone up villa owners like me a few days before you fly off on the holiday you booked over a year ago, and paid top price for, and haggle for whoever's villa isn't booked - mine always is, thank fully, but I wouldn't take the booking anyway - I like to know and trust who is in my home.
Tell these friends who trust you so highly to come and meet the gang, we don't bite[^]:D

kitty
17-02-2006, 20:15
We booked a villa from here 2004 for our holiday this year,like you we were very worried whether we were doing the right thing,but all has turned out okay.It helps being in touch with the owners through this site anyway and if we have any queries we can get in touch through e-mail or telephone,to which he answers straight away.So if i was you i would try and persuade your family, as there are some lovely villas for you to choose from on here [msncool]

Newhomebuyer
17-02-2006, 20:33
Why not copy them in on the correspondence with the villa owners you contact. They too would have telephone numbers to call. You never know they may even live close to the home owner and be able to arrange to meet with them.
They are going to be thrilled by the quality of villas on these 3 sites.

dawn
17-02-2006, 20:48
Hi Twiglet,
Just to add to all the above, owners have to verify their homes on these sights every 6 months, not just one time as we join. It is an ongoing process to ensure peace of mind for all:)

LiesaAnna
17-02-2006, 21:08
I think your not just worried about the villa renting but the whole anticipation of the whole family getting together, you want everything to be right or it will probably fall back on your shoulders if something goes wrong, and we are all very sure that nothing will go wrong, these wonderful villa owners will do everything they can to ensure that the rental side of things will go as smoothly as possible,
i am pretty sure you will worry when your there that something may get damaged or broken, and it will fall on your shoulders again, just relax woman!! book your villa and look forward to your forthcoming trip!!! cant wait to hear all about it!!!

Ana
17-02-2006, 21:49
I sympathise with you Theresa as I remember too well what it is like to convince your party that eveything is ok. I have always been the "Travel Planner" for our group holidays and had the same questions as you to deal with!

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said - I can only reinforce that it is not easy to stay on these sites - and that we are all genuine!

Good luck :D:D:D

Twiglet
17-02-2006, 23:03
I already said I know how the OV site works, but they don't. I wondered how I could reassure the others.

I didn't mean any offence to villa owners at all, I just wondered what past guests would recommend, by way of reassurance, what settled their minds. We have to pay a very large deposit to secure it, and that is why I have been asked for assurance all is ok, which is hard for me to come up with!

LiesaAnna
17-02-2006, 23:12
just go for it Theresa, you wont be sorry we're all very sure of that!!!!

Twiglet
17-02-2006, 23:15
Thanks Liesa, I will send this thread to them and they can read it!

Cheers everyone!

sunseeker
18-02-2006, 00:59
theresa, we booked a villa through this site back in 2002 and like your family were a little dubious about parting with our hard earned to somebody we had never met. we phoned the villa owners and our fears were soon put to bed, we are now on our third booking made well in advance of our holiday through this site. we wouldn't use anybody else and have found everybody reassuringly helpful. im sure the villa owner would be more than happy to talk to your family about your holiday to florida.

Dave

mizzy
18-02-2006, 01:07
we booked our first villa through ths site too Theresa and it went really smoothly

we have booked again with OV for march 07 and i can confirm that ther aint no bigger worrier than me[msnsmile2]

i am really glad i found this site and i'm sure you will be too[clap][clap][clap] your gonna have a great holiday[msnsmile2]

Mizzy

Twiglet
18-02-2006, 01:16
Thanks Dave & Mizzy, I have contacted the owner of the villa we are interested in, who is more than happy to talk to the family and rest their minds.

This is such a lovely site, everyone is so helpful. [grouphug]

LiesaAnna
18-02-2006, 01:17
we first booked a villa through an advert in our local paper, we were so scared right up until we got to the front door and inside!!
next time we will be booking through a lovely guy on this site, its the best place, wouldnt go anywhere but[msnwink]

disneyfreak
21-02-2006, 01:07
My question is this. I'm looking to book a villa for May of this year, and my family is worried that if something happens we won't get a refund. I see that some owners require full payment 6 weeks in advance? Is that correct?

dawn
21-02-2006, 01:11
Hi Disneyfreak,
Owners require full payment usually between 10 and 6 weeks in advance.
I always recommend guests to ensure they have adequate travel insurance to cover any eventualities which would mean cancellation, as with booking any holiday.[msnsmile]

eastcoastbranch
21-02-2006, 01:15
Hi
We require full payment 10 weeks before departure but we recommend to guests to take out their own holiday insurance.
Hannah.

Twiglet
21-02-2006, 01:25
So holiday Insurance will cover private booking arrangements as well as travel agent books too?

dawn
21-02-2006, 03:01
Yes Theresa, but as with any insurance you need to check the cover before you purchase it

steph_goodrum
21-02-2006, 13:48
We have had guests who have had to cancel through illness and their insurance has paid out for any money non-refundable under whatever agreements they have booked when making their travel arrangements independantly.

As has been said the main thing to look for is any pre existing medical conditions are covered and cancellation in the case of illness etc.

Twiglet
21-02-2006, 15:05
Thanks Dawn & Steph, that's really interesting, more valuable knowledge gained from the forums! [clap]

Y
21-02-2006, 18:31
we hired a private villa in The Algarve with my Parents a couple of years ago and at the last minute they couldn't go because of illness.
We decided to go anyway rather than disappoint the children and Mum and Dad were still able to claim on their insurance for their share of the villa rental cost.

ShirleyCottam
22-02-2006, 02:29
Theresa,

Once you have booked a private villa, I dont think you will ever go through a travel agent again. You get exactly what you see on the owners advert.

Most owners have past guests, who are only too happy to give recomendation. My previous guests have been so pleased with my home, and like the personal service and contact that we have.

I hope you have a fabulous holiday!