PDA

View Full Version : advice please

i love orlando
14-02-2006, 20:10
My nephew (aged 15) is coming with us to Orlando in 3 weeks time ..I have just found out he has been arrested and is in court on Friday.
Does this mean i will not be able to take him now as there is no time for a Visa.[msnscared]

andrewandcarole
14-02-2006, 20:49
I would say the answer to that unfortunately is that he won't be able to travel on the visa waiver system. Suggest you look at the US Embassy website.

Carole

Macka
14-02-2006, 20:52
Janet, if you check previous posts on this and similar threads it seems quite complicated.

I believe that you have to declare wether you have been arrested or convicted of a crime regardless of severity. So it doesn't really matter if he's already been arrested.

I think your options are:

1. get a visa if there is any time and declare the arrest.
2. ignore it and just go.

On option 2, I know a number (won't say how many[msnscared]) of people who have criminal records for minor offences who have never had a problem getting into the states.

I think these declarations are to identify serious offenders and not to stop holidaymakers that may have briefly strayed from the straight and narrow.

Of course there's no way of knowing for sure so you may need a plan C just in case he's stopped.

i love orlando
14-02-2006, 20:58
I would ignore it and take him, but if they do not allow him in that means me having to travel back with him. That would spoil the holiday for my children.[:O]

LiesaAnna
14-02-2006, 21:39
speak to the right people at the American Embassy?

maybe more concerned with "adults" criminal records?????????

dolphinv
14-02-2006, 22:02
Ok he is in court, do you think he will be found guilty? If yes then call the embassey, if its for a public oder offence he may just get a fine and caution! Best of Luck!

i love orlando
14-02-2006, 22:19
it is for handling stolen goods that were gotten from an armed robbery.[:O]

blott
14-02-2006, 23:02
This is the relevant part of the US Embassy website:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/add_req.html

i love orlando
23-02-2006, 20:20
He will not be coming with us my brother in law telephoned the embassy and they have said there is no way they can get him a visa in time.[msnsad]
Plane ticket was bought with miles plus money so there is no money back there either.[msnsad]

steph_goodrum
23-02-2006, 21:32
I suspected that it wouldn't even be worth trying to get him over there without a Visa, even at 15 it is quite likely that as it is a recent offence it will be on a computerised system somewhere and it will be flagged when he tries to enter.

It's a shame but maybe a lesson learned for him, regardless of the outcome in Court (good luck btw).

Paul it doesn't matter if he isn't found guilty , if you have been arrested you cannot travel under the Visa waiver, regardless of outcome, according to the rules.

dolphinv
26-02-2006, 19:54
Thank for the info, i wasn't aware that an arrest without conviction would effect your visa! Just as well i'm a good boy[msnwink] altough Marianne might differ on that lol[msnsmile2]